Reviews for Pigeon 40TW194 Reporting For Duty
Guest chapter 1 . 6/12/2013
This was very nicely done! I really enjoyed imagining what the Pevensies might've been like, had the train wreck never occurred. It was funny, imaging Peter both serving in Parliament and needing hearing aids, and never wearing them; his name, translated from Hebrew, means "rock," and that suits him perfectly. I can't quite imagine Lucy on Twitter/Facebook; and, if she's at least 78-years-young, why can't she spell properly? Edmund, always into a mystery, fits him like a glove. Susan was great too: still worried over her little brother, and he's 80-years-young. However, I was just browsing through a few of your additional stories, and I noticed that you've paired Edmund, at least, with a lady named Morgan in Narnia. In England, he's married to a lady named Miriam; wouldn't this count as polygamy? Edmund is the same person, and he has two wives...if this is not connected to your story "Lost in Translation," then you might want to make a note stating that fact. I'm very sorry if this offends you, but I'm a staunch Christian and don't believe in this sort of thing. God clearly states in His Word that a marriage is between one man and one lady; as Aslan is a representation of God, He'd be the same way.
Other than that, I liked the story and the fact that the Pevensies are all young at heart, and always will be.
Favorite lines:

Hopefully Peter would put his hearing aid in – she asked Lucy to badger her brother about it. Eustace and Jill compared Uncle Peter to Trumpkin, who Julia had eventually inferred had been a very old, very deaf Dwarf.

Julia thought Mum always had this sneaking distrust of whether Edmund's partners properly cared for her baby brother. "He's fine, Mum. He's just over 80 years old."

God Bless!
Yours truly,
Lady Hannah
Andi Horton chapter 1 . 5/29/2013
You know where my head is, that I kept thinking, randomly, "don't let the pigeon drive the bus!"

Even with my mental processes and my profession determined to interfere, this is delightful. The perception of the elderly from the perspective of the young[er] is a solid basis enough on which to begin, but to then make those elderly our Pevensies and their cohort is to add a whole new depth and delight to the piece. I love seeing that they are still themselves, even filtered through the affectionate, albeit somewhat confused, lens of Julia's intake of all of this.

Again, it's so much the details that bring them to life. The slight feline fixation, the offhand reference to their being classic Meyers-Briggs introverts, Julia's accepted role as the archivist and biographer-all of it rolls together in the formation of such a lovely, complete picture of this so very more than ordinary family.

I think Susan fuming at the Laity is probably my favourite part, though. A wee bit of projection there, to be true, but . . . yes. Oh Susan. I like that she is all steel in her dotage, as though maybe some of the less certain parts of her have been worn away by time, leaving her polished and gleaming, her core exposed at last for the strength that's always been at her heart.

Love for all of it, from Tim to Alice, to Eustace's doggerel, down to the very last line.
hungrytiger11 chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
This is fantastic on so many levels- I love seeing The Four as elderly people with VERY full lives. And find it so interesting that Susan's Julia writes about them. Also, I find the idea that Narnia is talked about and told, but not quite fully explained. That it becomes mythic to the family rather than fact. In some ways, myth has a power to change lives that fits very well with your stories.
Blazen chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
Good to see a future for Pevensies in the real world
basaltone chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
Great story, I had fun trying to piece together exactly what had happened in their lives to get them to this point. Thank you.
thebluejay chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
I might actually explode from excitement about this story. No, seriously. I'm having trouble finding something specific to say, because I keep squeeing about all of it.
intriKate chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
Oh my god. Exquisite and perfect.

I love that Susan won't hear a word about M, that they all talk about who might play them in the movies of their lives. They have massive skype conversations and Peter doesn't put in his hearing aid. Lucy has her own internet meme. This family. I just love them so damn much.

They just decide to go to GCHQ like it's a Royal Expedition, and clearly Susan has put her letter-writing skills from Narnia to good use. 3333

Also the fact that Lucy protested the targeting of civilian areas in Europe makes me want to hug her.

Such a wonderful story. Thank you, Rth.
ilysia chapter 1 . 12/11/2012
Everyone lives! Nobody dies! The BBC reports it, so it must be true! This is fantastic, rth- love getting to see everyone all elderly (Peter is balding, how brilliant!) and from the perspective of Julia, who's neither quite on the outside nor entirely in the loop. It's a new point of view, it's someone how knows the Pevensies and loves them, but still doesn't quite understand them, which only underlines their , ah, individuality all the more. Brilliant, brilliant. And so happy!
Mori chapter 1 . 12/10/2012
I already commented on your livejournal, but I'm working on getting better at reviewing what I read. So, for the sake of habit-building: I loved this. I enjoyed the explicit statement of how the Lion appears around the "Pevsnees," and the glimpse into the future. Most of all, though, I want to see some Lucy-memes. Someone needs to go make those up. And maybe some memes for the rest of them, too. Yes, that would be an excellent method of putting off studying for finals.

Thank you for this!
Ruan Chun Xian chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
Live-review here :)

A wolf ringtone. I love how even this early, we’re seeing Lambert already.

“Since he hadn't died, he was calling and Uncle Peter probably wasn't wearing his hearing aid.” BEST SENTENCE EVER. And Edmund’s “anonymous”call. He knows trying to stay anon with Susan is useless but he does it anyway because it’s their little joke. I imagine they text each other in Rat and Crow for fun.

Susan’s litany of titles is PERFECT.

Tigger. Oh Edmund, you wonderful human being.

Peter the Magnificent, High King, Lord of Cair Paravel, Knight of the Most Noble Order etc etc as Trumpkin! This needs to be like, a real movie script, okay so that we can all be treated to that wonderful image.

I love tech-savvy Pevensies. Yes they would be! It all makes sense! And a Lucy meme!

Oh Susan, after all this time, still hovering over Edmund and not being 100% into his partners.

I love the idea of a Pevensie memory-fest that eventually get written up into biographies. Most likely their family think they’re all quite mad. But then don’t we all think that?

Lucy is still Lucy. Naming pigeons dead for decades.

Pevensies and their issues with school. Jack Lewis would approve. I love how QSiT is now a best seller! It should be! LOL the casting.

And yes, why is it so natural that Peter was in politics? He still walks around like he owns the place hehe.

Lucy still picks up stray. Never change, Lucy.

I love the ending, the hark back to Eustace’s terrible limerick that now is so affectionate and true.
I love that even their children are not quite sure whether Narnia’s real or not. It’s something that’s always been part of their lives that they wonder now and then but aren’t entirely killing themselves trying to find out the truth, or outright dismissing it all. Narnians would be proud of their princes and princesses. I also love Aslan’s presence throughout their lives, and the beautiful image of Aslan comforting Susan at her husband’s funeral (not Tebbitt?).

It’s wonderful how you let the story show their age here and there, but the essence of the Pevensies is all still there. They are still the delightful, wonderful, noble monarchs of old. The abundance of pets who generally get in the way of everything and probably leave hair everywhere is a sweet touch.

Re your LJ post: YES family tree! I would love more on Miriam, actually, especially for this Edmund, who has been profoundly changed by his relationship with Morgan, and who nows knows the joy and appreciate the importance of such love. It would be really sad if he lived this long and wasn’t able to get that again.
cofax chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
Oh, I liked that. Loved the look at the enormous family-and-associates, and the savvy way Susan still uses technology. And of course she would be peeved at the CoE!
Elizabeth Culmer chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
I love the joy and familial closeness that pervades this story - that the Pevensie clan remains connected so strongly by love (of each other and of life in general) and a shared sense of social responsibility. Age may have slowed the original four siblings down a little, and rendered memory and hearing a bit spotty, but they are still the same bright souls as always and they have raised their children well.

I also really enjoyed the little details, like the constant presence of animals and their responsiveness to their human companions' moods, or the children's confusion about but acceptance of their parents' tales of Narnia, the meme about Lucy's awful spelling, the casual mention of the siblings' various significant others, the delicate weaving of real world events (Caen, the pigeon, etc.) into the story, etc.

Every time I see an AU like this, I think that Lewis really missed a chance to show what he thought a good LIFE looked like, instead of skipping straight to his ideas about death. Fortunately, we have fanfic to examine the roads untaken!
fledge chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
Thanks for another amazing read. It is indeed very hard to imagine them all at that age, and you are doing a wonderful job with it. Adorable how they still have that same fire inside, even if they need hearing aids and things. And Julia's point of view makes it even lovelier. There is one thing that surprises me, though. It seems they never told Julia or others of the next generation that Narnia was a lot more than just a game or secret service fad. Extremely touching, though, how Julia has also - unwittingly - met Aslan.
And of course you don't even have to mention who Lucy was rooting for in the elections. Pity, too, that the vote in the Church went as it did - Susan as the first bishop would have been too good to miss out on. The surprising thing about that is, for me, at least, that the authorities obviously were more liberal than the man in the street (and it will most likely be "man") if I remember things correctly.
While you are at writing this everyone lives universe story - why not let us see more of their doings after the war?
confused chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
i R&R'd the last chapter of Harold and Morgan 'cuz I noticed who R&Rs your work and who doesnt and its so so so so so weird. I mean I know theyre Christians and quoting Bible verses but there's a whole lot of Christian God in your work. You're just way more sophisticated at squeezing it in both letter and spirit imho. these stories aren't just talkign the talk (literally with church, hymns and ASLAN IS JESUS OMG) - your characters are walking the walk too , literally the road to Rome and martyrdom; faith and works, yeah? You are so Catholic or Anglican communion, am I right? tolkien or lewis?

The theology isnt as strong in this one as the others but you still get the morality play in with the whole thing about the targeting of civilian targets (Caen, Dresden Hiroshima WAR CRIMES) and then updating it with the compare to drones. Im guessing you are a Catholic social justice person who wears the seamless garment? Projecting, yeah and what the author is isn't always what the characters are but the religiosity and morality are really really strong even in your shorts.

Your Avengers xover was the same with Lucy being the doctor/humanitarian and she and Edmund doing human rights work and investigations. Edmund's a spy, but it seemed like he was doing a lot more. He had the gun but I wasnt really sure he'd ever use it.

You know this but I'll quote it anyway because everytime I read your vision of the Narnian call to action I feel like I should go back and read Isaiah and Acts and then go to a soup kitchen or build a house for somebody.

I, the LORD, have called you for justice,
I have grasped you by the hand;
I formed you, and set you
as a covenant for the people,
a light for the nations,

To open the eyes of the blind,
to bring out prisoners from confinement,
and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.
AJ McLeod chapter 1 . 12/1/2012
As always, wonderfully written! I love getting notices that you've written something since it's always a thought provoking and joyful experience.