Reviews for TFHS 2: The Two Front War
NoNameAvailable Bis chapter 1 . 12/26/2013
Hey, it's me again.

I'm... actually not here to review the chapter ; I already did that - but I was so caught up in it that I forgot to wish Octo8 a merry christmas, so... merry christmas :). But I felt the urge to comment on the comments. Yeah, I know, bear with me. More specifically Starkworth and DontDriveAngry7's reactions.

Now, I understand some of the points they make. I do feel that this version of Shepard isn't a really nice person, who's a bit blind to his own faults, and has a very black-and-white morality, which doesn't struck me as a particularly healthy thing to have. I had expressed disagreements over his philosophy, which led to spirited debates with the author, and there's no doubt that, if he is willing and do not think of me as a bother, we'll have others in a near future.

But I think saying his three stories are mere "author tracts" is a truly unjust thing to do. While Shepard has a way of thinking that probably is close from Octo8's philosophy, I think he did a great job at giving a voice to other viewpoints without bashing them for it. In this fiction, people disagreeing with Shepard are not always in the wrong, and people agreeing with him are not always in the right, and I think that should be put to his credit. I didn't get the feeling that Shepard was supposed to be the guy we should side with by default, nor did I get the impression that the whole galaxy was fanboying over him. Sure, some people agree with him, some don't, and there's good people - and, I think, bad people - on both sides of the spectrum.

Ok, I'm done, sorry for the intrusion, and back to the story !
Adam nar'Althor chapter 25 . 12/24/2013
Now that I read this over here, it does seem that Shepard is a bit melodramatic and seems far too affected by the death of his crew. Shepard has been in the military for a while, certainly he has faced death like this before? Especially with his War Hero background. Yeah, that whole scene seemed blown out of proportions a bit. But it does play up his psychological trauma and instability.
And ninja Tali was well executed. I just hope the cliche of 'looking up at your attacker who is holding a weapon pointed right at you and looks smug but waits to pull the trigger for dramatic effect just as you are saved from them' is not overused.
DeathmatchDrunkard chapter 25 . 12/24/2013
Makes sense. Nobody worshipping the Alliance would have served under Shepard anymore.

Not a very clever move, stepping out of cover.
Well, Cerberus' modifications got to be good for something.
Starkworth chapter 25 . 12/24/2013
It is very difficult to enjoy these stories when the protagonist is an unlikable, self-righteous douche. And then there's the fact that he's supposed to be a anarchist who thinks he knows what's best for billions upon billions of people. That absurdly long speech on that colony back in the first story comes to mind. We get it: conservatives are bad-apples. But this bleeding-heart, liberal-as-fuck SJW Shepard is not exactly the bees' knees either.

Perhaps using fanfiction to write three ENORMOUS author tracts as an outlet for one's extreme political and social views (your profile is swamped in contradictory quotes, by the way) was not the best idea.

Good day.
NoNameAvailable Bis chapter 25 . 12/24/2013
I don't blame you, ninja-Tali is awesome. :)

Otherwise, I agree with Garrus : happy!Jon is a bit scary at first ! But I'll admit he has good reasons to be. Believing he could be a clone is not that far-fetched (certainly less so than "oh, we resurrectedyou"), and the game only reassurance was Jacob saying "no you're not". Which wouldn't work too well in this case (plus, guess what? As we found out, there IS a Clone!Shepard running around ! Well, lying around at this point, I suppose).

And finally : Noooo! You fools! What have you done? Fate managed to get rid of that tank-shapped deathtrap known as "Mako", and you take it BACK ? What did your lunch ever do to you, for you trying to throw it up that badly?

... ahem.

I'll look forward seeing what place will find Zaeed in the group dynamic. I guess the fact that the Illusive Man IS paying his bills might be a problem, since that makes him more likely to side with Cerberus in case of intern strife. But that's not a given, so we'll see how this plays out. I'll stay tuned !
Michaelkoc1 chapter 25 . 12/24/2013
Wow.. I now hate Thane.
I also really dont want to wish you a merry christmas after that.. But merry christmas :(
Get the next one up quick please, i will be thinking about this all over the next few days
DontDriveAngry7 chapter 4 . 12/21/2013
I'm kind of sick of how everyone goes on and on about how amazing your Shepard is. All I've seen is him being a piece of shit and a hypocrite. He's killed people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, he was totally cool with a bunch of scientists being murdered by mechs, and regardless of them working with Cerberus he has no proof that any of them committed atrocities. Shepard however, is the poster boy of hypocrisy and self rightousness. Unless your whole point was making him a terrible human being, all the admiration that the other characters display towards him is super disingenuous
dracohalo117 chapter 7 . 12/20/2013
Prazza is still an idiot...

dracohalo117 chapter 6 . 12/20/2013
Very cool, never liked Miranda, and Jacob was always an idiot far as I was concerned...

dracohalo117 chapter 3 . 12/20/2013
I can already see Miranda's body bag...

bofomania chapter 24 . 12/19/2013
Finally found time to read your last installment.
Great job with Mordin: very much in-character. Every time I played ME2, I always wondered where he got his 'seekers' to carry on with his experiments. The game is not clear on this and I like your idea.
Great struggle aboard the Akuze, with your Shepard having his way in a quick victorious move. Makes me think of a game of chess. However, if TIM was as cunning and ruthless in your story as he is supposed to be in the game, your Shepard would get his ass served to him in short order; there are so many ways for TIM to show Shepard who really is the boss.
Your point about the plight of female Krogan is interesting and you found a interesting angle to it. This topic is broached in ME2 during the mission with Maelon, although not as explicitly as you made it. Maybe there is not enough heart-wrenching despair and guilt in ME1 and ME2 about how females are impacted by the genophage for your personal satisfaction, but you can't honestly say that the topic is not broached at all. And frankly, I think you may be anthropomorphizing a lot here and making a mountain out of something that could be just a hill. What I mean is that you're projecting your own sensitivity (about babies) on the Krogan, who may not have exactly the same kind of feelings about this as you. And I'm really not sure female Krogan had less pregnancies before the genophage; one of the thing that made the krogan so dangerous to the rest of the galaxy was precisely their high rate of reproduction. My take on this is that, before the genophage, Krogan female probably had as many pregnancies as after; they had more live births but most of these children would die anyway eventually due to their brutal lifestyle (constant in-fighting among krogan), the hard conditions on Tuchanka or in galactic wars with other species (rachni, turians or others). So, even before the genophage, the krogan females were already losing the great majority of their children to so many other things. Why aren't you weeping about that? Which is worse: a still-born fetus or a 50 year-old kid (in krogan terms) senselessly dying at the hands of other krogan in a pointless fight.
Another gender issue is raised by Tali's comment about the genophage having been conceived by men. She might be technically right as the work itself probably was carried out by males, but she's wrong about the bottom-line: salarians live in a matriarchal society and, even if we only see male salarians in the game, it's the females that have the power. You can be sure that the whole idea of the genophage had to be completely approved by the females in power.
As for the game being androcentric? Of course it is (and it's also very much western & anglo-centric), and this simply reflects the social context in which the designers/writers of the game live. I personally think the latter went out of their way to bring more balance (in terms of gender issues, sexual orientation, racism, etc) than in most other contemporary games. But you can't please everybody. Tough luck. In fact, even if you were to make your own 100% politically correct game, I'm 100% sure you would still manage to offend some special interest group that you had not thought about (what? I can't play my Shepard as a transgendered paraplegic vegetarian? shame on you, Octo8!). Just kidding, of course. :P
Peace.
Michaelkoc1 chapter 24 . 12/15/2013
So far another great story, i loved your first and this is living up to it!
No Garrus on the main gun though? He made improvements to it like Tali did to the engines, thats seems a bit odd.
Read interstitium before starting your series and both really focus on the realities of the divide between the cerberus crew and the rest.. :'( i like jacob and miranda lol
Dracconnis chapter 24 . 12/14/2013
Loved the confrontation with Chakwas...Garrus is back and in charge of the armoury... lol... an excellent move there! And u are absolutely right about the GEnophase...
NoNameAvailable Bis chapter 24 . 12/13/2013
OMFG, Mordin !

... ahem, sorry about that, my brain stopped working for a second.

Anyway, the plot keeps going on steadily, with an early bird cameo from Harbinger to shake things up a bit. Things stay tense aboard the Akuze, which isn't really a surprise. I think that Shepard's abrasiveness toward the Cerberus crew, might come back to bit him in the ass at some point, though. Time will tell. Liked the conversation with Mordin.

About your take on the Genophage... that's pretty much what I imagined, too. And you have a good point on the fact that Krogan women took a background seat for this debate. Well, ME3 made an effort to rectify this, but it probably was too little, too late, by then. It's worth considering, though, that this might be explained by the fact that there's no Krogan woman to be found in the first two games. We only have Krogan males, who are not always the most considerate beings. But yeah, the debate is... how to put it ? Aseptized ? Perhaps the developpers simply shied away from a detailed concrete exploration.

I'll stay tuned !
bofomania chapter 23 . 12/12/2013
Great chapter again. Your comment about the vorcha being similar to orcs is interesting. It naturally leads to another observation: quarians are space elves (in any case, that's the look Bioware chose for them). Other similarities with stereotypical fantasy stories could be drawn with, for example, the krogan as trolls or ogres. I just noticed another update: you're on fire! I can't keep up!
352 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »