Reviews for 12 Days of Christmas
mrsl488 chapter 12 . 5/15/2013
How have I missed this story? Well, it ended up being a nice surprise for me. What a lovely friendship you've written for Damon and Caroline, two people separated from the people they should be with, but enjoying life anyway. Your Damon breaks my heart, living without Elena, having no say in her decision to turn, knowing he'll live eternity without her. Reading this, I feel as if he's in a holding pattern and you have to wonder if he truly realizes that one day Elena will just be gone. I can't imagine living with that knowledge.

Caroline is delightful. She has grown quickly into the woman we knew she would, yet still retains that pretty young girl who loves everyone and wants to make everything better. The fact that you wove all of this into a story about killing Caroline Forbes, with all the intricate plans needed to do so, including the death of an unsuspecting young girl. Omelets indeed.
zeva917 chapter 12 . 3/13/2013
Excellent. Really, truly, excellent work.
ElvishGrrl chapter 12 . 2/11/2013
This was really really incredible. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. You are an incredibly talented writer. I am in awe of your skill.
ElvishGrrl chapter 11 . 2/11/2013
"I'll never get the girl, the only girl who will ever matter, and pretending like I can, even for a moment, no matter how good it would feel, would just make it worse." *sob*

"So I can't watch from the rooftop across the street like a thief stealing glimpses of a life I'm not allowed to have. I'm here, lighting candles and paying the piper for all the things I've done and will continue to do because this is who I am." You hurt my heart so much with this chapter and these words. Remember when you told me this one was a light story? Yeah. Right.
ElvishGrrl chapter 10 . 2/11/2013
"She laughs so hard she shakes the bed, and I can't tell if her tears are actual tears, or tears from laughing, and maybe it doesn't matter because the line between the two is too fucking blurry most of the time anyway."

I can relate. Love this line.
ElvishGrrl chapter 9 . 2/11/2013
Awww. And here we go again. Squinching my eyes closed to fight back the stupid tears you always seem to wrench from me. Damn you.

this is a fabulous story. Really, really.
ElvishGrrl chapter 4 . 2/10/2013
:( :( :( heart breaking yet again. damn you. you are the cruelest most talented writer for this fandom I have ever read.
Terri Botta chapter 12 . 2/3/2013
Damon is just... Damon. Tragic, beautiful, unspeakably, unshakably loyal, and you ache and ache and ache for him.
chillwithJyl chapter 12 . 12/28/2012
Wonderful!
CreepingMuse chapter 12 . 12/27/2012
Aw, the end. What a lovely, unexpected story this has been.

"So I got to look at her, drink her in with greedy gulps because it'll be a while before I can see her again." Love this image, of him drinking her in, first in tiny sips, then in huge gulps because it has to last. Oof.

Love the quiet way he reassures her it's going to be all right. These two have come a long way-mostly due to your wonderful characterization. Totally off-canon yet so believable.

Ah, Stefan second-guessing his brother. Who is the better planner, Stefan? Damon has history behind him. You have nothing.

HA on Caroline writing her own eulogy at 13! She would. I would kill to read it.

Oh, holy shit, and that's where you leave it? How crushing. Omelets. What a beautifully melancholy note to end it on.

Loved this story. So unexpected, so true, full of lots of great revelations and relationships and fitting so perfectly into the wonderful AU framework you've developed. Well done, dear. Very well done indeed.
CreepingMuse chapter 11 . 12/27/2012
"Its unapologetic reverence for Catholicism's magpie, pagan roots." Yes. I love Catholic Damon, and this is such a lovely description of what Catholicism is.

"Ten years have gone by in a blink and an eternity, and I hope he's not haunting Jeremy and has moved on, wherever it is the dead people go." Oh, how beautiful. Just lovely, how he lights the candle even though Ric would think it was stupid, but it's the toast that really matters. And the candle for poor already-dead-but-not-quite Anna.

"Happy endings don't last...I'm the guy who breaks the fucking eggs, and that means I don't get the girl." Our poor boy.

Oh! He's not Scrooge! He's the Little Match girl. Lighting candle after candle in the dark, and seeing in each one the life he can never have, until he's left with one single light to guide him Home. Poor, poor boy.
CreepingMuse chapter 10 . 12/27/2012
Poor Liz, thinking Caroline died! Aw. Poor thing. Did love the line about how it's all fun until someone loses an eye. Especially poignant when we recall Damon HAS lost both his eyes. RIP, Pearl.

"You're going to be alone, sulking in a gloomy hotel room, watching It's a Wonderful Life and getting drunk before eating the maids." Okay, maybe it's gloomy, but I would still love to see Damon watching It's a Wonderful Life and snacking on French maids.

"You're not as mean as you want people to think, you know," she whispers. "I'm onto you."

"Well, you're not as shallow," I snap. "So I guess we both defy expectations."

Will someone please tell both Stefan and Elena this? That would be awesome. Both these things. Thanks.

Ow. That part hurts. In the best way.
PutteringPoet chapter 12 . 12/23/2012
Ah is that the end? I want to know Caroline's eulogy! Epilogue?
If this is the end, I've enjoyed this story. Love the chemistry between Damon and Caroline, hated the distance between Damon and Elena. I guess we might experience a bit more distance in the future episodes of TVD, hopefully not for too long. So this is good practice.
Nipsu chapter 8 . 12/22/2012
"Eight Maids a Milking": Ha! I had wondered what on earth the title to this story had to do with a trip to a Parisian lingerie store until the very end. I guess you could say what Damon was doing with the clerk's breasts was "milking". This was another lovely and bittersweet installment, and I like that Damon plans to start his journey with Caroline on top of the world with little oxygen in a region as cold and remote as the vampires themselves. This series gives us not just a peek into the tragedy of Damon, but Caroline also. Little Miss Mystic Falls, we all know, has really achieved everything that she has ever desired as a human: fame and wealth and success. Her tragedy is that because of her nature, she can't enjoy any of it. Paradoxically, her immorality, her eternal youth, makes fame unworkable. At least she gets to pick out the underwear she will "die" in.
Nipsu chapter 6 . 12/22/2012
"Six Geese a Laying": This story, my favorite of the bunch, is really the mission statement of your entire collection of the "Twelve Days of Christmas". Damon is my favorite slave because he is really a slave to Elena. It is from Elena that he learns to feel again, to get into touch with his humanity. It from his favorite slave, Mary, that Damon learns to love again as a human child, when his mother dies and his father emotionally abandons him. It is beautiful, circular symmetry that links Mary to Elena in the end. I love that Damon learns to cook as a child and learns it from someone he loves, because all great cooking at its heart, is passion and love and creativity. But, cooking, while alchemical, also involves death. Animals get sacrificed for a great meal. Eggs get broken. Damon breaks eggs to create omelets and Caroline will be broken too before she, too, can rise from the ashes, wholly new. Lovely, lovely story.