Reviews for For the Good of the Game
AM78 chapter 11 . 5/24/2014
Good final event. I liked how it played out and the terror of the act of murder being depicted. Death by strangulation is particularly gruesome and you did a great job of showing that. Also I was kind of surprised to discover Yale had been planning to kill her right from the start, or at least making preparations for it (driving her out to the middle of nowhere). That sure was cold.

However, I gotta say there were a few flaws here. First of all, why are we hearing this from Squire? Her knows Yale killed her, but there is no way he would know ever detain of the conversation leading up to the murder. It really seems like this scene should have come as a result of a final interview with Yale, not Squire. He's the only one who would know the specifics.

Also, the final flashback seemed too much as though it was told from Matilda's point of view. I get that you want us to experience what she went through, but it should be told from the view of the person doing the recap: IE Luther Yale in this case.

Still, I'm looking forward to the final chapter.
AM78 chapter 10 . 5/24/2014
Well it looks like the team finally got the big break they were looking for. Kind of surprising they got it out of Squire since they didn't really have much evidence against him that would be effective in court. Maybe he was just feeling guilty and needed a small push to get him to come clean.
AM78 chapter 9 . 5/24/2014
Nice simple review chapter here. It's nice to take a break from progression every once in a while to go over what the team has learned so far.
AM78 chapter 7 . 5/24/2014
This chapter seemed more productive. Now it seems possible that Matilda was onto something involving the ref scam and might have been killed for it. There's also the issue of Henry turning her down for the coaching job, but that seems a bit less likely to lead to the murder. Even if Henry wanted to kill her, I can't imagine a 69-year old with heart problems having the strength to strangle a 24-year old to death, even if it was a 24-year old woman.
AM78 chapter 6 . 5/24/2014
Another interesting development. Still waiting for the big one that will break the case wide open, but slowly some solid leads are coming in.
AM78 chapter 5 . 5/24/2014
Well I suppose this might lead somewhere. Then again, the fact that Waters is still on the team would seem to imply that Mike Bern didn't want to get rid of him after all, or at least something came up that changed his mind.
AM78 chapter 4 . 5/24/2014
Kind of an uneventful chapter here. The flashback didn't reveal very much new in regard to the case. Still I was glad to read from your authors note that Scotty and Lilly's relationship will not be the main focus of this story. Cold Case is a show that is supposed to be more about the victims and the people who knew them then the investigators.
AM78 chapter 3 . 5/4/2014
This is easily the best chapter so far. We got to learn a lot of good new info about the case, and we got our first chance to actually see Matilda in a scene. The flashback was effective in the Cold Case style in that it didn't really reveal anything vital about the case, but at least gave the team some leads to look into. I was also glad to get introduced to others who were involved in the case, such as Matt. Cold Case is really a show more about the victims and people who knew them then it is about the investigators, so it's good to try to involved the case-specific characters as much as possible.

I also really like how you threw in Matilda's daughter at the end. That really left the viewer feeling the profound sense of loss that this murder resulted in. Again this is a key aspect of most episodes, showing what was lost as a result of the murder instead of just depicting the victim as a faceless dead body, and in this chapter you did an excellent job with that.

There were only two very minor negative things I found. One was the that the flashback didn't have any period song with it. I know that's not mandatory in a text story about Cold Case, but I still feel those things are important to include, even in this format. Also some line dividers at the start and end of the flashback would have made the transition a bit more smooth.

Also there is a typo where the word "flake" is that should be "flak"

But don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this chapter, as this seems to be the one that really gets the case rolling.
AM78 chapter 2 . 5/4/2014
Good follow up chapter. I like how it opened up some possible starting points and resulted in the team considering a possible motive. Still it seems like some key aspects of the case were left out. You didn't say how old she was, and more importantly, you didn't say how she was killed. That's one of the most important case details. Also you had Kat asking if her husband was a suspect before you ever even mentioned she was married in the first place. Finally, Scott said that Hughes confessed to covering up Matilda's murder. But that's not what Hughes said. He only said that he was sorry about her. He never gave any details as to why.
AM78 chapter 1 . 5/3/2014
Wow Scotty must be one heck of an NBA fan. How many people would know who the vice president of referee operations is? Anyway this is a decent start. The writing was good and the cannon characters seemed accurate in how they talked and acted.

But I do have a few nitpicks. Why no opening flashback that shows the victim? It doesn't feel like Cold Case without that. Also I have to question the decision not to use any real NBA teams or players. That seems like a missed opportunity. Combining real life things and events into a Cold Case story can make things quite interesting.

Still it will be interesting to see where the story goes from here. As Scotty said, Hugh's deathbed statement didn't really reveal anything useful, so they will have a lot of work piecing this one together.
SelenaQuintanillaLOVER chapter 11 . 4/24/2014
Love this Hun :)
Guest chapter 10 . 11/17/2013
Ooh This story is really good! Don't stop here leaving your readers in suspense. You have to finish this story so your readers can find out who Matilda's killer was. Please continue soon. Thank you! :)
annie.shum2 chapter 10 . 11/10/2013
Don't ever stop writing! Love that there are still Cold Case stories going on long after the show's cancellation :). I don't care so much about the Lilly & Scotty part, but I'm glad to see glimpses of them outside of work. I think you do a great job in balancing the case and the "shipping" stuff (for people who do want that).

As for me, I'm having a great time imagining this playing out in my head like a CC ep.
YourACrusader-IGuessIAm chapter 6 . 5/5/2013
This fic deserves more recogition. You balance the case and the L/S relationship well and everyone is in character. Although the chapters are a little short this is a story of quality over quantity.
Rhonda Roo chapter 4 . 2/11/2013
This story is really great... can't wait for more, love L/S!