Reviews for Feeding the Crows
GBlackwell chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed this story when I read it, though I didn't comment because I couldn't think of anything to say. But this story deserves reviews, so here I am reviewing so long after the fact. There are a few things in the story that I had questions about. For example, why is Fakir's last name Drosselmeyer? I'm pretty sure his last name is something else, otherwise he wouldn't have been surprised to find out Drosselmeyer was his grandfather. Is it a pen name? Also, it seems odd to me that he has such great respect for Drosselmeyer now, considering that the one time he did meet the man he called him a "sadistic fossil who toys with people's fates for a lark." There were also a few sentences that repeated words somewhere, but I didn't really notice them the first time around anyway, so I don't think it's important.

Anyway, I loved this story. While I'm not sure if Fakir would become a famous writer (though it's not totally improbable) the way you showed him finding meaning in a small part of the Prince and the Raven was perfectly in tune with what he probably would think. Th observation that only the minor characters in the story are somehow more important than the main characters is also very acute: Whenver I try to imagine what the Prince and the Raven by Drosselmeyer would have been like, I always imagine the Prince as the central figure, but all the conflict focused around the small, "less important" individuals who are corrupted by the raven and yet still seek the salvation that the Prince's existence is supposed to embody.

I think that the best part of this story is that you have pegged the wonderful relationship between Fakir and Duck in just a few sentences. Describing her as a forgotten princess is so apt, and yet forgotten as she is she is the most important. She gives life to Fakir's writing through her humanity, not just meaning her kindness but her individuality.

Anyway, I loved this. Any chance you'll be writing more Princess Tutu stories?