Reviews for Variations on a Theme: La Vie en Rose
Kananox chapter 1 . 3/12/2018
This is so beautiful! I love it so much! It reminded me of how much i hated french while i was picking it up but at the same time it made me appreciate it! I love it so much!
blairswaldorfs chapter 1 . 5/15/2013
This is wonderful. There are so many things I enjoyed and loved but I won't name them all.
Ines setti chapter 1 . 2/13/2013
As a french reader, i congratulate you. You do an amazing job!
carlybb chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
So sorry for my late reply! I feel like 2009 was the lost birthday of GG. It should've been the most interesting one of Blair's birthdays on this show but they decided to skip it. Sigh. I loved the little joke about the tracking device on Blair (I swear he really does have one! LOL) The explosion of flowers is totally Chuck's style!

Chuck playing the piano is so hot! I love that we got that in canon back in season 2. Too bad we haven't seen it again since. I quite like the part about Chuck being a born hotelier. I wish we saw more of that on the show. You're right that Chuck just seems to know everyone. I know he comes off as a cold businessman at times but deep down he really does care. Like in season 4 with Raina, I know he was partly playing her but I liked it when he talked about the Palace and his childhood. Blair's red dress sounds gorgeous! The song is perfect for them. 3

The Bass family sounds perfect. A little boy and 2 little girls. How lovely for them to be in a rose garden of all places for Chuck's birthday.

The future is very interesting. I will admit that I re-read a few times to figure who's related to whom. A Bass and a Baizen, another Bass BFFs with a Humphrey, an Archibald/Humphrey in love with a Bass and a Bass in love with a Humphrey too! Chuck would die! LOL The conversation about Dan's greying hair made me laugh. That mop would look deranged! hehe! I'm sure the saga of their children would make for an interesting story. Thank you for posting!

P.S. If we get a "Snowpocalyse" in 2014, I'm blaming you, Liz. :P
Dede chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
I love "La Vie en Rose" so naturally I loved this one shot. Chuck and Blair are just wonderful together and you write them so well. Now that the children of our favourite UESers are growing up, it seems as if they will have a complicated lovelife just like their parents when they were in that age. I would love to read more about the future of the Basses, the Archibalds and the Humphreys and their children. I really enjoyed reading this oneshot, I hope I can read more from you soon:)
GoneGirl1234 chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
I really enjoyed reading this. It gave me lots of warm, fuzzy CB feelings. I loved reading Blair as a mother in the last part. She's a stern, wise and level-headed as you would expect her to be. Lovely stuff!
TriGemini chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
Loved reading this a lot! It was great.
24hrscout chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
I really enjoyed this! Your writing is always a delight and I hope you keep writing
liluxstellar chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
Awesome job! Actually one of my favorite stories in a long time. Love how you develop the story for their children, and I think the fact that Henry and Dexter are enemies is awesome, although I know Henry is better than Dex (and not like Chuck in his young years) would like to see some "Bass scheming" sense develop in him. And I'm happy you're showing us both sides the parents and the children perception of things (and Chuck's daddy behavior!) Please continue it's a great story. 3
lips of poison and wine chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
Wow, I was simply..blown away by this. You are most definitely an author to watch! This was amazing, and now I'm off to read everything else you have posted here! Thank you for writing something so incredible. :)
MissCMorland chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
First of all - I love you Liz and YOU are amazing 3.

Second - I think my fave sections were the first and last ones, though I very much appreciated the real life weather callback and Chuck playing the piano callback you had in the second section. There's something deliciously romantic about Chuck playing the piano and I wish we'd seen more than one glimpse of it in the show, so thank you ;)

Re: the third section, I would love, love, love to see their actual vow renewals *hint, hint, lol*.

Re: the forth section - I am CACKLING an the idea of Ellie and Dexter Baizen, I think that is my fave of the next-gen pairings in your story, though I am intrigued by the conversation Alex, Nate and Chuck must of had about Lia/Alex, and of course the conversation Chuck and Nate must have had, haha! (Also "... Lia relaxed. She was Nate's favorite Bass child, and always had been" - hearts in my eyes. Uncle!Nate owns my heart).

A few of my fave lines:

"(Of course, although she punished him by going back to the dorms, that night, they ended up sexting until he was suddenly pounding on her door, and fortunately, there was no more Georgina, so...)"

"Blair slid down next to him on the piano seat in her dress of silk roses, resting the hand that wore his Harry Winston lightly on his shoulder as he played."

"So that night, Chuck and Blair Bass slept in the back of a heated, Arthurless limo for the first time. And in the dawn, when they awoke and defrosted the windows, they found themselves in a winter wonderland. Quiet, almost desolate."

"Her best friend's eyes rolled. "One of us has to! After all, every time my kids and I visit Lily, guess whose kids are already there? That's right, the Humphreys! Heaven forbid my brood get any Grandma Lily time...""

"She nodded. "This summer, Chuck. I want to marry you all over again this summer. It's been eight years since I became your wife, and I still feel like your bride. I want everyone to know that... I want to have the wedding that I should have given you all those years ago, Chuck. Cathedral, dress, reception... only now, our son can be ring bearer, and our precious little daughters can be our flower girls.""

"Um, yes. I'm no stranger to high expectations. You forget that your mom is my Auntie B and your dad's my Uncle Chuck. And if that isn't enough, I'm the eldest daughter of famous novelist and journalist Dan Humphrey and the exquisite Serena van der Woodsen, who was supposedly... what do the girls at school say?... the most 'beautiful girl on the Upper East Side' in her day. Right before they ask 'ugh, Sam, what happened?' and cackle their evil little heads off."

""
Alexander, honey, sometimes it's better to be silent and to be mistaken as a fool," said Jenny, "than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"She was going to be Queen in the fall... nothing could distract her from that, especially not some stupid blond... tall... handsome... athletic... junior."

"Ellie? My fourteen year old daughter? Baizen's son? I'll kill him!"

"It does, unlike on Humphrey. Gray hair just makes him look deranged... well, even more deranged than he already is. Perhaps if he regularly cut his hair..."
daydreamduck16 chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
Beautiful! I love how you split into 4, following their story through the years. The use of roses was beautful. The kids were brilliant, you developed them so well! Love your name choices aswell :)
Elise chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
Hey Liz! I loved this fic and the way you did it :) ahhh I wish we could see this much married/happy/together CB in canon! You know how I feel about the DS parts, but that's to be expected in your fic I suppose haha ;) I hope you keep writing fics, you're so good at it! And you write CB so well. I really wish this fandom's fic writers would've taken over the show!
Trosev chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
Liz, this story was SO lovely! It really was... Loved everything about it...the four-part vignette was genius and I loved how it came full circle with the NJBC's children. This story just made me so happy! Thank you for writing it!
SnowedUnderNJ chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
This was so worth the wait Liz! I loved it. I like how you divided it up into the four seasons and made vignettes. I know we discussed this on Twitter and you executed it beautifully. The glimpses into the the many different time periods was great. I love how for summer you really told it from the children's point of view. I also noted that you had 3 children in the span of 6 years. Not so different from my take :) You know I love the song and adore how you entwined it through the story especially the scene of Chuck playing it on the piano. One of my favorite scenes is from 2x13 and Blair finding him playing the piano in her penthouse. Also 4x07 and the piano sex scene. Pianos definitely have a place in the Basses past and present. Love it.

Well done and you know I'll read anything else you want to publish. S