Reviews for A Red Pair
dmf1984 chapter 10 . 12/29/2013
Kowalski the penguin rocks.
dmf1984 chapter 8 . 12/29/2013
Oh Mira... bad idea, honey.
dmf1984 chapter 6 . 12/29/2013
Uhura was a total babe in that alternate uniform. I'm thinking she and Scotty could "dress up" from time to time...
dmf1984 chapter 5 . 12/29/2013
Oh my gosh. I love you. No effing way would Uhura have taken Pavel shopping with her! I once read an article (by David Gerrold, I think) about the Trouble with Tribbles episode. I ADORE Jimmy Doohan for the way he handled that scene with the Captain (yeah, they insulted you, sir, but mah ship is more dear to me).

Hmm, I think Scotty may have been out of jail for the transporter thing (I mean, tribbles were everywhere). My brain took a giant leap into PWP with the way you have Uhura visiting him when he's in time-out... :-)
dmf1984 chapter 3 . 12/29/2013
I always liked the way Scotty and Uhura interacted, throughout the episodes and the movies. I also agree with your assessment of Kirk/"playa" and Scotty/gentleman all the way!

I was lucky enough to receive all 3 seasons of TOS on DVD this past Christmas. The body language between Scotty and Uhura was there all along (and not just in the disaster that was ST-Final Frontier). If Scotty was in the center chair while the Bro3 were on a landing party, either he or she would get up to be nearer to speak to the other. I loved it when Scotty got up to lean over her shoulder and vice versa.
four-nostril chapter 11 . 8/30/2013
I had planned to read and review half the story, but I had to know how it ended. I have no SPAG comments, except the very few typos down below.
The stort starts with a classic scene: fine gentleman defends nice lady against drunken lout. Scotty's idioms are not overdone and Uhura is in character. Very 1960:s, with the drink-accepting ceremonies.

In chapter two they meet again, getting settled in. Good newbie vibes, getting lost and getting late. At the end, we get a first taste of Scotty's not-so-smooth personality, joking that she could run with messages. But also a straightforward man who can apologize even if it makes himself look clumsy. Good! I couldn't help picturing Geordi with his glasses when the name popped up.

The scene in chapter four where she cuts Kirk short is a bit blunt, but I feel you are adressing it well. Sure, Uhura is abrupt, but she's just been woken up and maybe she was already expecting it. Good canon scene later, with McCoy added for intrigue.

Overall, you have done a solid job putting canon in your intrigue. No big changes, everything wowen together in a pattern. Perhaps a bit too much canon in chapter five. If it wasn't for the scene at the end where Uhura comes to Scott's quarters, we would hardly get anything new in this chapter.

I like the symbolism that as Uhura returns in chapter eight, her place has been taken by Mira in two different ways.

The story covers a time period from when they sign on to when they sign off. That must have taken a great deal of planning. If I have to mention my least liked part, it would be the final lines. Why does McCoy get the final word, and such a bland statement about ale? Scott's ["Aye, and you'd do well to remember that, lass."] is better. Couldn't McCoy's musings be moved up a bit to leave room for something more like a punchline? Or a moral, or whatever you can come up with.

Typos and stuff:
[non-too-gently dragged the man outside.] Not sure if it should be not-too-gently or none-too-gently. Or maybe it is correct?
[At least she hadn't lied-she wasn't sorry] That should be a dash and not a hyphen. (God, I'm nitpicking!)
trekgrrrlyahoo chapter 3 . 5/22/2013
In "The Making of Star Trek" Roddenberry said a department head had to be lieutenant commander or above. I always wondered who Uhura's immediate superior would be. Not Scotty, of course, since Uhura wasn't Engineering. I concluded it'd be Commander Giotto, who may be head of both Security and Support Services (like Spock is head of Science and Medical).

BTW, love that song and scene!
BloodLily16 chapter 9 . 2/22/2013
I'm still waiting for that cat-fight!
BloodLily16 chapter 8 . 2/22/2013
Oooooooooooooooohh! Cat-fight! :D
BloodLily16 chapter 6 . 2/22/2013
Joy of Joys. -_-
BloodLily16 chapter 5 . 2/22/2013
Sorta like 'Baka', the Japanese word for 'idiot'. It has a lot of meanings, three or four if I remember correctly.
BloodLily16 chapter 4 . 2/22/2013
Haven't seen that episode yet. I don't think, is it after the one with the loony-tunes?
BloodLily16 chapter 3 . 2/22/2013
Yeah, I saw that episode. Spock doesn't have 'golden' eyes. :D LOL
BloodLily16 chapter 2 . 2/22/2013
About things like that, as far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't say it isn't canon, go ahead!
BloodLily16 chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
ScottyxUhura huh? Can you put I SpockxChapel too?