Reviews for Snippets of the Skirata Clan
Little Kunai chapter 2 . 6/15/2013
this was from a good series. heart breaking though
Little Kunai chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
never thought jilka was that much of a snoot?
TheEverHummingGirl chapter 4 . 4/5/2013
I like the chapters from Jilka's POV. Will you be writing one about the first time she met Ordo? It would be interesting to see her reaction when she realizes that the clones really are human under the armor.
impoeia chapter 3 . 3/16/2013
I am always torn between liking Jilka and wanting to rub her face in dirt. There are so many qualities about her that I admire and at the same time, there are just as many that I hate. And you manage to capture them all. Like her dislike for people who cheat others out of money, or her wanting to remain friends with Besany, even if she doesn't agree with some of her life choices. Admirable qualities all, just like her willingness to put herself in danger for the sake of doing her job, But then...well, she is such a civvie when it comes to clones and the way she draws the line between herself and others gives her the appearance of a selfish person, which she is to an extent, but I can't always tell just how far.

Anyway, you really captured her and I applaud your skills, as well as your ability to portray the strain between these two women and a Coruscanti's attitude to the war.
impoeia chapter 2 . 3/16/2013
You really captures the moral decency that defines Jaller Obrim in the novel and which makes him such a valued ally to the Skirata clan. And I think you are right. Besany really is the only one who can understand the difficulty and guilt Jaller is going through at this point. Skirata might try, but he certainly wouldn't be very sympathetic; more likely to give a moral lecture, actually. But Besany is in practically the same situation, having to wonder how her actions in the past might have supported the corruption that is now so very evident in the Republic.

And yes, although Targets was certainly action-y, this scene gives a better opportunity for delving into Jaller's thoughts, particularly since it was only after Targets that he developed such a fierce sense of protection for the clones and Fi in particular. I am really quite glad you chose to illustrate this scene.
impoeia chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
You are right, Traviss writes a lot of these little moments into her novels, where the characters interact and you are just dying to get the thoughts of all involved, but of course, you don't. And that is where fanfiction comes into play and I am quite glad to see you tackling this project.

Seeing this scene from Jilka's point of view adds a certain level of hilarity that is missing from Besany's thoughts about the interaction. Jilka, of course, is not burdened by the secrets and problems of the Skirata clan, so she can feel free to be exasperated by her friend. This also demonstrates just how much Besany has changed due to her interactions and commitment to Ordo and his family, something you don't really get a grip on in the novel.

The last little bit - about Jilka's reaction to Besany's announcement about dating a clone - did not exactly endear Jilka to me, although her reaction is more or less understandable. Traviss makes it clear that the average citizen of the Republic has no understanding at all of the clones and you really brought that to bear in Jilka. I do wonder if she might look back on her reaction once she starts getting closer to Corr.
The Tip of My Tongue chapter 4 . 1/21/2013
Awesome story! I really have been enjoying all these snippets. I really liked the POV from the loadmaster and Barlex. I always felt like Traviss didn't delve into how the Republic was fighting so many mandos. but I digress...
You've written all these chapters well, and the characters are spot on. Many thanks for posting!
Lionheart Rising chapter 4 . 12/11/2012
Much as I love the Skiratas, they would come off as a bunch of complete jerks to the rest of the Republic. They have this major superiority thing that, while it makes them endearing, also makes them a little irritating.
I really like how you're showing this side of them- mostly because I hate the way Karen Traviss demonizes the Jedi (like Kenobi). Just don't go too hard on them (particularly Ordo and Besany).
Good job!
-Dryad
Queen chapter 3 . 12/11/2012
I have to say how much I enjoy these snippets between Besany and Jilka. It really helps to flesh out the relationship between the two of them, and though it's been awhile now since I've read the Repcom series, I don't remember their friendship being as well developed as I'd have liked. It's really nice to see the two of them working through things - they're both very smart, and though at this stage they're sort of at odds (through no fault of either - Jilka's reactions are understandable since she has limited information on the situation and is mostly just concerned for Besany).

I do hope you have some more of these interludes between the two of them planned in the future. :)
laloga chapter 3 . 12/10/2012
I've really enjoyed the snapshots of Besany and Jilka's friendship. It feels like we rarely see two women interacting like this in SW, not only as friends and coworkers, but who aren't on the best of terms with one another. Though I know that the clones are awesome and Jilka would be so lucky as to start a relationship with one, it's understandable that she thinks Ordo is "bad" for her friend. All she sees are the negative aspects: Bes being worried and looking like she's not getting enough food or rest. I can see why that would set off alarm bells in Jilka's brain.

"Don't knock it till you try it," True, true. If the situation were less serious, she could also have said "once you go clone, you don't go back," but perhaps that's another time. ;)

Another great snippet! I'm enjoying these and looking forward to the next one. :)
laloga chapter 2 . 12/10/2012
Very thought-provoking.

I can definitely understand many of Jaller's thoughts regarding the corrupt nature of the Republic, and the ethics of sending the clones to fight a war for the Republic citizens, but I also know that the situations surrounding a war - any war - are far more complicated than they first appear. I'm sure that Bail and Padme weren't happy to send the clones to die, but they were also working to take actions that *ended* the Wars altogether. Part of being a leader is making those tough calls. It's not pretty, but it's true.

Sadly, in this case, everything is a machination by the Sith, who have no regard for life, and are the true villains, though of course, no one knows that, now.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. :P I have no clue who Jaller is, but I did like the questions that he asked; I felt like this was the first time he really thought to question anything like this, and could see it was a moment of real development for him.

Great job! :)
LongLiveTheClones chapter 2 . 12/5/2012
Wow. This was a great little snippet and I like the way both Besany and Jaller take personal responsibility for what is going on in the Republic rather than simple trying to blame others for their troubles. It is very powerful, and there are a lot of lessons that can be applied to our own society. Very thought provoking piece.
Albus Paulson chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
Interesting story. I look forward to more of these.
Best,
Albus
laloga chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
Very nice! Though I'm not too familiar with Traviss' work, I felt like this was a great "missing moment" that fleshed out the characters very well. :) Loved the contrast between Jilka's narrow-minded (according to this fangirl, anyhoo) thinking and Besany's obvious concern for her clone boyfriend.

It's funny, because I spend a lot of time thinking about how awesome the clones are, that it's hard for me to see someone *not* thinking that, but of course to a civilian who doesn't know them, it's passing strange for a woman like Bes - who could, according to Jilka, get *any* man she wants - to date a clone, one of millions of "identical" men. Great job portraying Jilka's reaction to the big news; I think she behaved realistically, if...well. She just doesn't know any of them, yet. ;)

Wonderful update! I look forward to more from you! :)
TheLightIsMine chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
I love the idea for this series! This was a great one to start off with; Jilka has always interested me as a character and her lack of development from Traviss annoyed me a little. This scene was a great one between the two girls, and I love the way you've characterised them - Besany as kind of awkward and shy, despite her beauty, and Jilka as more confident, sure.

Then Besany drops the line...and I love Jilka's reactions to the way her friend has changed. "Well, Besany was still her friend, but Jilka certainly wasn't having lunch with her any more" - loved that line. Overall, this was well-written, well characterised, and just the right length for a 'snippet'. I love the whole idea. It's given me some fresh inspiration and outlooks on the series. :) I'll have a think of what interactions would be good...hmm...do Delta count as non-Skiratas? Because there are a few good scenes with Delta that would be good... ;)

Just a note - it's 'Reasons to Live For', not 'Die For'. ;) I'd *love* to see another Besany and Jilka moment, and also the Obrim 'Targets' idea is amazing! I can't wait to see these! :D