Reviews for Captain America - The Last Campaign
robbiepoo2341 chapter 9 . 12/1/2016
Another short chapter that adds so much to your writing. You write love so well.

I know that sounds cliche, but I mean it. You write love the way it's supposed to work. Mutual respect, an honest wish for happiness for the other person. It's not just passion; it's honest, sincere thought. I love it.
robbiepoo2341 chapter 8 . 12/1/2016
That description of Jan as 'purple bruised' just... oh. My heart. What a way to talk about crying. I also love that she was so upset and rambling that she just talked right over him agreeing with her. Bless her soul. And I love the little details of her poking around Cap's room. The letters from Eisenhower and FDR were just such a good way to give that historical grounding to a fantastic character.

Also, I love that she made pancakes simply because that's all she knows how to make. That is so, so true-to-life.

Also, Hank made a funny and it's killing me because Hank doesn't do that. I love it. Not as hilarious as Steve calling him mother but still. *pats Hank on the head*

**is totally here for Cap, Hawkeye, and Jameson workouts. I need this stat. And also is he working out with Arnold Schwarzenegger? OF COURSE HE IS. I love this so much.

Also, this is a very sweet Sharon/Cap. You write them so wonderfully EQUAL, and I truly appreciate this. I like them on equal footing, and I like them relying on each other and acknowledging each other's strengths and weaknesses and basically what I'm saying is this is perfect.

My one complaint is that at times when you need to give a whole lot of information, it comes across as list-like (especially when giving backstory). It's a minor thing, though, and it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the beauty of the little details you pour into this thing that have me grinning MADLY the entire time.
J.D. Finck chapter 3 . 10/17/2016
Hi, J.D. here. I need to make a brief reply to my last reviewer. Since he-or-she logged in as a guest, I can't directly message them, so I have to do it here. I appreciate your compliments, and I'm so glad you are giving my story a read - but please know that these are indeed my words, 100%. I would never pass off someone else's work as my own. Sorry to get all weird about what was, essentially, an amazing compliment, but plagiarism is the literary equivalent of bubonic plague, so I wanted to be clear that this humongous pile of words is all mine. Thanks again, and I hope you keep reading!
Guest chapter 3 . 10/12/2016
If these are ur own words this is about the best writing from a fan, I have ever read
Master Skywalker 121 chapter 37 . 10/3/2016
I love this so much because this is like a book. Keep up the good work.
robbiepoo2341 chapter 7 . 9/24/2016
(Hopefully these are posting, though since you pointed out the reviews are broken, I'm going to put these in a doc so I have them to post again if this website continues to do the very weird things it does)

Jackie is just so smart, and I love that about her. I love that she could tell Steve was hiding something from her, that she didn't believe his excuses, but most of all, I love the fact that it was Namor *crying* that clued her in the rest of the way. She's right, of course. He might be a passionate man, but crying has never been his style. But also, I am a big fan of Namor (when done right), so the fact that he was weeping for Steve just makes the whole thing even more emotionally gutting.

Again, your detail work blows me away, as a student of history and politics. I like that Steve noticed the way globalization has produced cities that are aesthetically familiar. What a way to show the passage of time for him.

The entire conversation with Union Jack was absolutely and positively lovely. I can't say enough good things about it, especially because I'm simply a sucker for stories where a good deed is passed on, especially in settings like comic book worlds where good deeds can be passed on through generations and can really settle on the shoulders of those who take up the mantle of old heroes. It's a story weakness of mine; I can't help but love it. :)

Also, the Red Skull's reaction to finding out the Cap is dying was nothing short of perfect and *exactly* what I expected (and wanted) out of that moment. The pure fury and the insane belief that only he could kill Steve... perfect.

I also love a well-written Viper. She's simply terrifying when she's done right, and she is that here, for sure. But I also love the terror that we as readers feel, terrified of the Red Skull, in her interactions with him. He's just so evil that even that venomous snake knows to be wary of him. Brilliant.
robbiepoo2341 chapter 6 . 9/24/2016
This is a different chapter than what we're used to seeing in fics like this, but I like it a lot. Especially because I'm a student of political science, and the minutia of things like the fact that their coder is an overworked operative is lovely. As was the FDR reference sneakily snuck in there. I'm a sucker for things like that.

And also I'm a sucker for phrases like 'I can offer no medical explanation,' which is fancy speak for WHAT IS HAPPENING. I love it.
robbiepoo2341 chapter 5 . 9/24/2016
'I can't be the man who let Captain America die.' Oh, Hank. Oh, honey. Oh. That just.. that just broke my heart. That's not nice at ALL. I had the same reaction as Jan. Just... come here let me hug you sweetie.

Also, I love Jan, and what you've got so far? Tells me she's in safe hands. She's nosy, she's stubborn, and she's chairwoman of the Avengers. Like she'd be in the dark for long at ALL. :)

Also can I say how much I adore the fact that Fury figured out Sharon got into his files because he is a paranoid little so and so? The bit where he checked the date the files were accessed spoke not only to Fury's paranoia but also to Sharon's resourcefulness, which made the whole thing beautiful. I also love the fact that Reed and Hank are not trying back alleys. Of course they're not. They're beautiful genius-level idiots, and I love them. (Also as a huge Bobbi Morse fan, I appreciated the Mockingbird callout.)

Also, I love Quartermain beyond words, but... Clay, honey, I'm not sure you can take down Sharon. A for enthusiasm and self-confidence though.
robbiepoo2341 chapter 4 . 9/17/2016
Oh, I love J. Jonah Jameson. Truly and deeply in my soul. And you've just nailed him here, and I just... *writes I heart JJJ in the margins* He's so wonderfully horrid.

And your character work continues to astound me. The description of Trillby as able to draw blood with an eyebrow... I'm just in awe of the descriptions you are able to weave with your words.

The fact that Steve breaks his rules for Jackie speaks to the way he feels about her far more than anything else that you could have written, and again, your detail work is stunning. You say so much without outright saying it, and I'm left with mouth agape the whole time I read.

Your Namor is amazing. You've captured him so perfectly in all his pride, his traditions, and his flashes of emotion. I could see him bleeding off the pages of a comic book. Just stellar work all around. When he got angry with Steve and then when he insisted he come to Atlantis... all of that was so perfect I doubt Namor himself would have changed a single line.

This first chapters really run the gamut of your writing ability. From historical settings to seamless fight scenes to sinister antagonistic plotting to the deep emotion of old friends reuniting for the last time... only a few chapters in and you're already showing that you can do just about anything!
robbiepoo2341 chapter 3 . 9/17/2016
Again, I'm just absolutely astounded by the character work you do here. The introduction of Freddie was masterfully done. What a build. I had an instant hatred for him, but a realistic kind of hate, not the abstract kind that so often comes with bad guys in comics. But this? I've met people like this. Amazing.

Also, the description of Schmidt's laugh was literally sending chills up and down my spine. That was amazing work. Red Skull is one of those villains that it's easy to overdo and fall into cheesy, but here, you have him perfectly sinister, and I ate it up.

I love chapters that are set in the pov of the antagonists so that we have context for what they've been up to, and again, with my love of history and political science, this was an excellent read for all the little details put into what life would have been like for former Nazis like Red Skull. Amazing work, as usual :)
robbiepoo2341 chapter 2 . 9/17/2016
'The slight crease in his trousers offended the man deeply.' -That. THAT is how you set up character development with a single phrase. Just ten words and I knew exactly what kind of man this was. Bravo.

Also: 'Army doesn't pay me to think... that's what the CIA is for.' I seriously just want to quote back to you every little line because the detail work here is STUNNING.

Seriously. 'Welcome to my party.' There is no better way to introduce Nick Fury. I am just in awe. Also, I am a big Quartermain stan and I love that you've got him here. I don't know why I love him but I do so :D His ridiculous excitement about a black eye from Cap only makes me love him more, fyi.

And what a spectacular way to write the scene with Captain America waking up and coming out of the ice. Of course he would wake up disoriented and ready for a fight, and I loved getting swept up in the action even as everyone was relatively on the same team. Steve woke up just as stubborn, and just as right, as ever, and I can honestly say that was the best "Cap wakes up" scene I've ever read.
robbiepoo2341 chapter 1 . 9/17/2016
So I'm finally sitting down to read this, after having heard from Canucklehead Cowgirl about how AMAZING you are, and I just have to say... I'm awestruck.

The little details are amazing, and being a Southern girl myself, I had to giggle at the fact that, yes, a light dusting of snow is pretty much a blizzard around here. I love it.

As a political science student and student of history, I loved how you wove the narrative of what was going on in the leadup to WWII. The isolationist United States, 'Peace in Our Time'... But it was when Steve said "I read his book" that I really sat up and listened. Your Steve *knows* he's right, he knows what he's talking about, and heaven help anyone who says otherwise.

After reading all your notes at the beginning of the chapter, I have to say, I think I'm going to like your Steve.
Canucklehead Cowgirl chapter 36 . 8/31/2016
This slow build is masterful. Beautiful building tension and despair. But the hope that is still fighting in the middle of all this overwhelming BURDEN. I am really enjoying this.

Your take on Union Jack builds him up in ways that make it hard not the like the guy - and the transformation from his struggle to be a hero - and his vast training as a soldier just - taking over when the need is there is perfect.

But Viper? You ... you do a mean Viper. I have a tendency to try to avoid her a bit just because she just ... makes me so damn mad! But you do her justice and I loved it.

Again - Cap is just a thing of beauty and I look forward to the building conclusion (even if I am still secretly hoping that Cap doesn't *actually die*.
Canucklehead Cowgirl chapter 35 . 8/19/2016
Alright the Hawkeye love in here is absolutely THICK. And I loved it. I love how you handled him with his little snarkiness and strength. Just all the Hawk all the time. Yes.

But. I'm still kinda dyin' here. The kidnapping business. You are killin' me here. I can only hope I can return the favor with one of my stories.

Keep up the great work my dear - it's shaping up to be one hell of a battle.
aBlue Gillespian chapter 35 . 8/16/2016
Another brilliant chapter. I love the way you have humanised Cap. Don't get me wrong I love Cap in the comic books and the MCU (apart from some of the new issues, I kinda gave up after the whole Hydra agent clusterfuck so I'm not sure if the had resolved it. Also I don't like the Ultimates Cap.), but you have added a whole new depth to his character.

Also I think your Red Skull is the best one I've read, he is so much more of a worthy villain that way, and actually could realistically endanger Cap and the Avengers. You keep on exploring the depth and the interactions between other characters in detail and don't just leave them on the background, even a minor character as Marvin. It creates a whole world and background for the story that most fan fiction are missing because they concentrate on one or two characters. Yours rean like a novel. Tip my hat to you sir.

I've been missing Hawkeye, and your characterisation of my fav Avenger is spot on. A lot of people laugh at me when I say he is my fav Avenger, but I just think that he is just so underrated, I blame the movies for that.