Reviews for The Swindler
AntaresTheEighthPleiade chapter 4 . 12/21/2012
Busted. All those years of pretending to be a mensch, and he gave it up for Bane. For Bane. Really, Alfred? Really? Hopefully the guards will think it's a dream, though, because the alternative is just too crazy. We can always hope.
I do like the last scene with the dragon. He's always had a way with the beasts, hasn't he? And I can't help but wonder if the beastie understood.
Don't worry, Alfred! Things will get better now. So just fly your dragon buddy (another example of the wonderful dragon/friendship combo) to Hugh and Bane and (sort of) to Haplo. You won't regret it. Well, okay, you will, but the regret won't last. Good things are about to happen.
AntaresTheEighthPleiade chapter 3 . 12/16/2012
Oh, Alfred. I'm so sorry. This is just... I can feel your heart breaking into millions of little pieces. Your nightmares have come to life.
At least the writing is beautiful. I've mentioned before that you're a poet, Darkhymns, and you haven't proven me wrong yet. So sad but so lovely, like the crystal tombs themselves. And I don't think you left even one typo or anything, so that's good. But you did leave in a lot of pain and suffering, so... Poor Alfred. I wish he didn't have to go through this.
AntaresTheEighthPleiade chapter 2 . 12/11/2012
Ivor is fun. I think I like him. He's certainly a lot nicer than most of the Sartan we meet in the books (cough Samah and Ramu cough cough). Maybe it's because he's so human, with all our vices and suchlike. And so scatterbrained! But yes, he really should have invested in a hat or some hair dye. Or both.
Lya wants a girl-child? Oh... A sweet little girl with cloudy hair and big blue eyes. She'd have Daddy wrapped around her little fingers. Except she would probably have died in the Sleep too, and poor Alfred... yeah. Maybe it's best that they didn't have a kid. I mean, it's very sad (understatement of the century there), but... it probably would have been sadder if Alfred had lost his child too. He's suffered enough already. This is depressing and I don't want to talk about it anymore...
One wonders what will happen to the book. It is obviously a deeply important artifact that should not be neglected.
On a completely random note, I love the name Elian. It just sounds so very Sartan and elegant.
AntaresTheEighthPleiade chapter 1 . 12/6/2012
Oh, poor Alfred. Poor thing. This makes me want to hug him more than ever, but he's still scared of me, so I'll let Lya take care of the hugs for me. *sniffles* Poor, poor guy.
At least he still has Lya and Ivor around to help him, and the poem. I really like bringing that poem into Alfred's 'origin story'- it provided the beginning quote for Serpent Mage, so that's supremely fitting. And Lya likes the name? Oh... Ivor, though, made me laugh. Really, Ivor? How many women- do I even want to know? And I can just see Alfred glaring at him kind of like I am, but without the suppressed laughter. But Patryns aren't really that different from cougars, right? Right?
It's great to see something new from you, just fantastic. Who knows? Between you and me, we might get the Death Gate Cycle archive up to 50 stories by 2014. We shall conquer first the fandom, then the world!