Reviews for Wisdom's Strength
Snarky64 chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
A super missing moment, and so different to the previous ones that centred on the other boys. It was an interesting view into a day in the life of Minerva. I'm not I quite agree with the latitude she gives Sirius and James, although she remains one of my favourite characters notwithstanding. I wasn't quite clear if Meyrigg knows at this stage, or whether she's still thinking it through.

Anyway, another super one-shot. Thank you.
rosebud1424 chapter 1 . 12/23/2012
What a lovely plot bunny, it is simply amazing.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
At least there is a one shot to sustain me for a week.
PhilosopherStone909 chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
Hurrah for the arrival of the Missing Moment! Minerva McGonagall's perspective; bound to be fascinating!
A few sentences in and I'm already in love with her point of view. The details! Oh Stoplight, you always have such rich details, but /McGonagall/ details! Her thoughts about various classes! Her determination to return essays punctually! Her Quidditch musings that showcase both her trademark sternness and passion for Quidditch! I cannot quite decide if I'm more in love with our dear professor or your writing at the moment.
Oh, and her musings about the Slytherins! This belongs in an entirely category, for it sheds light on her thoughts on something that affects the war so much in the future. Reading about these situations from a point of view separate from the Marauder biases (for sweet as Remus is, he does have a slight though not entirely negative bias against Slytherins, although mostly due to his friends' influence) is so fascinating, and that is magnified by the fact that it's our beloved Professor McGonagall :)
"Lestrange was, of course, among the first through the door – and not merely because many of his classmates stood aside in deference to him." Yes, I just commented on how fascinating McGonagall's earlier thoughts were, but this sentence deserves particular mention. In two dozen words, you completely captured the essence of the character we've glimpsed in the sidelines for the past 100 chapters of ATM and of someone who we know from canon assisted in the prolonged torture of two people. Just amazing.
Oh my. If I loved McGonagall's earlier musings, her thoughts about Remus really take the cake. They're simultaneously fascinating and heartwrenching. And her thoughts about the acceptance from the other boys, particularly Sirius... both beautiful and illuminating on why our dear professor isn't far more harsh on a certain pesky pair of boys.
Even in mentions of McGonagall's mundane day-to-day life (and really, does "mundane" even fit when she's teaching at a wizarding school?!), you've captivated me fully. I'm gaining so much for respect for her - for all of the teachers, really. With a school of hundreds, or quite possibly more during these earlier years before Voldemort wiped out much of the wizarding population, a mere dozen teachers certainly have their work cut out for them, and yet they all manage quite well. And then the other little details like Professor Kettleburn! Oh, no wonder that when he retired, he had to do so with his "remaining limbs". And Professor Finley! I can't wait to learn more about him so I can have a better reason for shipping him and Professor Sprout than "Stoplight mentioned them walking to Hogsmeade together once."
Oh my, I just keep finding more and more to love! Reading about straight-laced Professor McGonagall "letting her hair down" tickles me pink! (And it disproves Harry's assumption from GoF that she never does so!)
"If it were not for the shadows brewing in the world beyond the safety of the school walls she would have been perfectly content." If only... I'm both eagerly awaiting and dreading the time when more war-related elements will come into the Marauders' lives. Mostly dreading, though, because I know it'll be very tragic.
"[S]he had seemed weary and worn of late, as if weighed down with burdens even greater than those she had brought with her in September." Brynna is worrying about her pregnancy and the repercussions that will bring, I presume?
"Nor did Lupin." The comparison of Brynna's tortured nights to Remus's is startling, but it makes sense. I haven't had the opportunity to ask before with all of the other captivating drama, but Brynna was ill entirely because of her worry-induced insomnia (and later her pregnancy), right? Or did I miss something?
Oh, I adore Brynna and McGonagall's conversation about The Christmas Investigation. And it sounds quite awkward to refer to the wonderful (though unfortunately former) DADA professor by her first name and not the equally great Transfiguration professor. I suppose I'll have to start calling her Minerva, then! But back to what I was saying - I love their entire discussion of the matter. McGon - er, Minerva's indignation at her students' actions, Brynna's matter-of-fact mention of bookshelves (though I do wonder why she smiled /quizzically/. Am I reading too much into this, or are the mysteries not all over? Or something else?) and her astute analysis of the boys' feelings towards their punishment. And then reading about their thoughts on Remus... just lovely!
I also love hearing how their discussion centers far more on Remus's personal well-being than just concern about his need to miss classes. I forget how Minerva worded it to Remus before, but it's a wonderful surprise to see their worry for him :)
I love (goodness, using that too many times in just one review. I suppose it's a good thing, though!) Minerva's inward debate over whether to share the truth with Brynna. She's confident, as Madam Pomfrey is later, that Brynna will resist prejudice, and yet she's determined to respecting Remus's wishes. Remus's attempts at hiding his displeasure at his secret being divulged without his knowledge back in first year didn't escape Minerva McGonagall's eagle eye!
"'What do you suppose that Dumbledore would do if he found out that someone in the Order was… that is to say, might be… as it were…'" Is she talking about her worries that Owyn may be influenced by the Death Eaters he is surrounded by, or do those not come until later?
Ahh, "'I'm quite sure that I'm not." Brynna must have been referring to her pregnancy. I almost wish that she had been correct - she would have been saved a great deal of worry and illness, and her poor baby never even survived long enough to assuage much of her pain and grief. Though, that does make me wonder how much Remus really did help her make it through her grief by the simple act of giving her the baby. If it really did help her, then I absolutely recant my wish.
Aww, I love that Minerva is going to visit Remus. I forget if Remus actually saw her that night or whether he was asleep, but I presume the latter. I also love her musings (I think I've overused that word in this word along with "I love"!) about how she would have to return to her room to tidy her informal state if she were not an Animagus :)
Utterly wonderful Missing Moment! At first, I was surprised by how much was happening aside from the conversation between Brynna and Minerva, but I'm delighted you did include those other details! It's a very close call whether I prefer the thoughts in the beginning or the conversation at the end. On one hand, I adore those two women and seeing their interaction, especially from Minerva's perspective, is absolutely wonderful. On the other hand, my inner Hufflepuff is exultant to see Minerva's positive opinions on her Hufflepuff class, particularly after all those twinges of annoyance at James and Sirius for their condescending opinions towards the house I'm sure I would be a part of if I went to Hogwarts! I think I'll just have to settle on calling this Missing Moment all-around amazing :)
congratsyou'vegrownasoul chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
Oh dear me, it's here. I love it. Passionately.
1. It broke my heart to see Brynna again, earlier in her tragic story. Poor thing.
2. I really love the matter-of-fact, practical yet sensitive voice you gave Professor McGonagall.
3. The hug between these two fantastic women made me bawl.
I'm Hermes chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
This was a really good one! I'm always amazed at how well you slip in and out of characters' heads! Can't wait for your next update!
SpicyTacos chapter 1 . 12/10/2012
When I saw this poll had won for the missing moments, I was actually very worried that this would turn out...well, bad. But, I should not have doubted you. This was brilliant.

McGonagall's characterization is spot on, and my, the scene between her and Meryigg...terrific.

I have no words to describe how fantastic this missing moment is, but thank you :)
A.Violet.Butterfly chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
These little vingettes are wonderful. They bring out fathoms of this story, which already has so much depth to it.
LeilaNight chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
As always: Love it.
I can't even imagine her with her hair down, so thorough is her teacher-mask in my head.
Wonderful characterizations all around. Interesting getting an adult perspective on events.
Love these Missing Moments!
DreyaCira chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
Aw, this was so wonderful. I really liked seeing things from Professor McGonagall's point of view. I think you did a great job with it. It was neat to see all her different classes and what she thinks about them. I had to laugh at the Ravenclaws, because they reminded me of some people in my medical school class. I think I'd be in Ravenclaw, but I wouldn't act like that, I'm more the quiet type who sits there and soaks everything up, like Remus. I thought McGonagall's thoughts about the Marauders were sweet, especially how proud she was to have Sirius in her house because of the way he treated Remus. Awwww. And I loved seeing her interact with Meyrigg! Meyrigg is so cool. It's too bad we won't see more of her...well, maybe we can hear about her if Remus writes to her like he promised. I enjoyed this, it was very well written and lovely.
FizzingWhizzBeez chapter 1 . 12/8/2012
Awesome missing moment! I admit, this option was not one of my first choices, but you did a great job with it! I really liked the insights into McGonagall's life and most of all, the conversation with Meyrigg. I wish I could articulate it better, but great job!
bkaddictjk chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
Poor Remus...

He is so awesome, I really shouldn't complain about the workload I get... at least I don't turn into a werewolf every month...

This was great, I'm glad I got to see how McGonagall felt about Remus. I hope I can read another chapter in the original story soon!
Crazy Female LEPrecon chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
Another amazing missing moments story. The way you portrayed Professor McGonagall after she was preparing for bed was very funny. My sister found Professor McGonagall turning into a cat rather than changing back into her normal strict clothes style quite hilarious. Please update soon,

Crazy Female LEPrecon
Judith Shakespeare chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
Love, love, loved it. I had expected more of a conversation in which Meyrigg learned-or guessed-more about Remus, but this conversation prior to her first guessing is wonderful too. And I really appreciated the glimpse into McGonagall's mind; it was exactly how I would imagine it to be. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to write this missing moment for us!
miss ellinor chapter 1 . 12/7/2012