Reviews for A Cure for Boredom
pandainpanties chapter 6 . 3/12
I absolutely love this chapter! Even more for the story itself. Are you going to continue it? Please do! If so, then I love you. *intense stalker stare*
MyNipples chapter 6 . 2/12
MAKE A SALAD OF THEM!
Port in the Storm chapter 2 . 1/6
The scene of Zero with the inn lady was so creepy and uncomfortable that I could not finish it. Not sure if that was your goal, but kudos anyways.
Port in the Storm chapter 6 . 1/5
I'd like to start this review off with this story's (considerable) positives. It is well-written. You have world building, characterization, and a plot all contained into one cohesive narrative that adds to the game, not detracts from it.

In particular, I liked how you managed the dynamics of a group of questionably sane, highly independent, and dangerous mercenaries. There is no way they would start out trusting each other, regardless of the extenuating circumstances. So, no, Maya and Zero and Salvador and Axton are not tramping off to have happy fun times, but are instead simply sticking together out of it being the best chance at survival. Each character has their own reasons for staying with the group, and each feels like a well-rounded, developed individual. As a result, I would say characterization is the strongest part of this story.

Zero in particular is expanded far beyond his canon characterization. I always thought his canon reason for going to Pandora (challenge!) was a bit weak, and you strengthened it here with the use of an assassination contract, justified with canon. Furthermore, he acts how I would expect someone who kills people mercilessly and casually for a living to act. His characterization is not for people expecting heroized or softened versions of the character.

And therein lies the problem that I have with this story; it goes to the opposite extreme. I like your characterization of Zero. It's accurate based on canon. It is well reasoned out. But, he seems to have almost no redeeming characteristics whatsoever. In this latest chapter, I liked the hints of vulnerability you put in at the end, but in the earlier chapters, he expresses pride and arrogance almost to the extreme, general unwillingness to work with the others, and a serious lack of moral inhibitions. Again, I can understand your portrayal of Zero. I like it. It makes sense. But honestly, I am beginning to see him as more of the villain of the story rather than the hero, and he does not have enough charisma to have me rooting for him either way.

Of course, I have no idea where you are going to take this story. Zero may be the villain of this piece. I've got no clue. However, if he is to be the hero, I believe some serious character development needs to take place. Not just pride and arrogance, but also respect for the abilities of the other mercenaries. He can have a lack of morals as befitting one who kills for a living, but there has to be some type of moral restriction he refuses to cross. The things you have in place right now work, but you have to temper them with redeeming characteristics.

I hope you will complete this story one day. It shows a ton of promise, and the plot is already heading in several interesting directions. Given that Zero already seems to be undergoing a little character development, I can't wait to see where it will go in the future.

-Port
UPDATE chapter 6 . 12/15/2013
UPDATE OR I'LL SICK A MIDGET ON YOU!
RedBlue101 chapter 6 . 11/8/2013
Awesome story! Love the pacing and that your not rushing. Hope you update soon.
Tinowenn chapter 6 . 10/4/2013
This is great! Can you please upload the next chapter? The suspense is killing me! :D
Violet Lolita chapter 6 . 9/29/2013
I'm so happy to see a recent update on your profile that you're still alive and haven't abandoned this story. I'm still in love with it, and I can't wait to see what happens. Your version of Zero is still my favorite so far out of all the fics I've read.

Grad school can go to hell. Borderlands is where it's at :P
Guest chapter 6 . 9/13/2013
Why have you stopped? This is one of the best stories of read period
ghost800 chapter 1 . 9/13/2013
This is probably the best Borderlands story here.
InvincibleBearsRapingChurches chapter 4 . 7/29/2013
Your story is good but you get hung up on one thing for to long. You used 50,000 words to describe the first 20 min of the actual game! sorry if im rude but ended up skimming through like half of the chapters trying to find something that was boring. Like seriously i havnt noticed anything really different from the actual story line. im going to read whatever you update but can you please cut down on the pointless boring details.
Turnip the Scribe chapter 6 . 7/20/2013
This is definitely my favorite work for Borderlands on this site. Deep, interesting, funny yet dark, it offers a pretty unique characterization that nevertheless works with canon well enough to be believable and seamless. I enjoy that this is a story where the Vault Hunters don't start out being BFFs - instead, they start off exactly as they are: a group of dangerous people with their own goals, their own interests, and their own reasons for being there. Circumstances force them together in a way that feels natural, and only with time can that turn into trust. That is the essence of some powerful character building potential, and I LOVES ME SOME CHARACTER BUILDING POTENTIAL. That's what makes a story alive! That's what makes it unique! That's what makes it WORTH READING!

The personalities are just so spot on! If it was just another boring story version of an actual Borderlands 2 play through, it would be so dull. I always wonder why people feel the need to type out something that all potential readers would have already experienced at least twice! This story isn't ABOUT the Borderlands 2 plot. It's about the CHARACTERS, and it's how the plot unfolds because of the CHARACTER'S personalities and the CHARACTER'S decisions. Despite having played the game so much, I still can't say that I know what will happen next! That is what I come to this website for, not another summary of what I already know!

I also am a huge fan of your interpretation of Zero;s appearance, and you added just enough detail to give a vague idea of his look without painting us a real picture. I don't know how much more of the 'pretty anime boy with gorgeous hair despite being inside a helmet 24/7' Zeros I could handle. Gimme a grimy haired pale and strange-looking thing that I can't quite make heads or tails of any day, because Zero is pointless if he isn't a mystery.

I had thought I had already reviewed your latest chapter here, but apparently not. Oh well. Anyway, sure, it's been a fair few months since you last updated this, but I'm not gonna harass you about it. Heaven knows I took way longer to update when I was writing...phew! Work at your own pace, and continue making this story brilliant. You can bet that whenever you do update, you'll have a load of eager readers still waiting. :D
Faith chapter 6 . 7/18/2013
My faith in you has died.
UPDATE chapter 6 . 6/27/2013
If you don't update soon I will eat your babies!
AetherFox chapter 6 . 6/6/2013
Please continue to write this.