Reviews for Ingenious Idiot
Blue chapter 17 . 1/30
Wow. Just... wow. This story is beyond words. (Presently I'm sitting on my couch in a post-really-good-fanfiction-bliss, which will soon turn into post-really-good-fanfiction-depression because it's over. For now- right?)

For an 'emotionally repressed' person, you pour so much feeling and depth into your writing that it's just breathtaking. I care so much about the characters that it hurts, though in a good way. Parts of this story made me laugh out loud, parts of it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and parts of it brought tears to my eyes.

As for your personal story, I found it was incredibly moving because I can relate to some of it myself. I know how it feels to be hurt by a friend. It's one of the worst feelings in the world. I hope that writing helps you sort everything out and, above all, I hope you find a friend who helps you understand that you deserve to be happy and that you deserve to belong.

Thank you for creating this beautiful story!

Finally, a quote:
"If all you do is make something beautiful for someone else, even if it's only for a moment, with a single word or small action, you have done a great service.

Because life can be ugly and frustrating and for so many, it is." - pleasefindthis, I Wrote This For You And Only You
StarTrek nutcase chapter 17 . 1/28
Okay - if I lose my job it's all on you! I discovered this fanfiction a few days ago and I had to struggle to do my work before returning to reading each day. Luckily, this was a slower work week or I'd really have been in hot water. I love the original and the reboot, and have read almost every fanfiction re Star Trek. If this collection is not THE best it is certainly tied for first with only 1 or 2 others. You manage to weave stories using just the right amount of details while capturing the perfect dialogue for the command crew and providing adventure/action with a unique slant. I will definitely enjoy reading more of your work and hope you create more "Ingenious Idiot" chapters.
StarTrek nutcase chapter 16 . 1/27
Just had to stop to say how great this 2-part chapter was - as great as all the others. But mainly to say it boggles the mind that anyone could complain at all about no warning. You addressed the issue minimally to advance the story with no detailed description. The fact that readers can be okay with other extreme violence (like in the Germany/terrorist/Chekov story) but not sexual violence is crazy. All violence at it's core is about "power" over the victim/others - except in the minds of those who value a women's chastity/purity/reputation more than her physical wellbeing as a whole. Just my 2 cents.
craftygirl26 chapter 17 . 1/25
I LOVE this story, it is my favorite fanfic that I have ever read! This is my fourth or fifth time reading it. You are so in touch with the characters and are able to bring them out of the story. This is beautiful.

Now I shall go explore (and re-read) your other story, keep writing...
I saw you're still updating this, so here's a little info on CPR from a duty first aider for St John Ambulance: CPR is exhausting - if you do have two people available to do it, they switch every two or three minutes, as the compressions lose depth, speed and effectiveness starting at two minutes due to fatigue. A single person doing CPR until exhausted would give maybe eight or ten minutes before having to stop, and that wouldn't be effective for the last minutes at all, which is why you call for help before starting CPR if you're alone. Also, people don't wake up from CPR alone - CPR buys the patient time, in that it makes them die more slowly, but it isn't a cure. The only 'cure', in terms of the patient's heart rhythm returning to normal, is to deliver a shock or shocks with a defibrillator. If a patient wakes up after CPR alone, in could be that it wasn't a heart issue, for example when someone drowns, it can help force water out of the lungs, and air in. When some has drowned and requires CPR, you start by giving five breaths before the usual compression ratio is resumed.
This was amazing! you really have a gift for writing. I don't know if you take Ideas but I was wondering about a chapter where someone from Uhuras past (I.e. Ex boyfriend) turns up and Kirk discovers that this person was abusive towards her!
Mira chapter 13 . 1/17
Yaaaay, Swahili! And Elvish! I'd love to see Joanna in this fic. And I think that posting it as one story on Archive of Our Own might be better than posting it as a series, since the one-shots are connected. This story makes the most sense to me if you start at the first chapter. When it's posted as a series, there's the risk that people will start at chapter 10 and have no idea what's going on.
I just realised that they never caught whoever infiltrated the ship, did they? That's a bit of a problem... I hope they solve that soon.
Mira chapter 12 . 1/17
Loved this chapter! I liked how you described the Nayahians and their culture. Also, are there any languages Jim doesn't speak? Does he speak Swahili too? I'd love to see Uhura's reaction if he does.
I first read this story on ao3, didn't realise there was more of it. So far I'm really enjoying the new chapters! And now I'm very curious as to who wants Jim gone...
Mira chapter 11 . 1/17
I reallylove this story and I can't wait to see how it turns out!
MuggleCreator chapter 17 . 1/16
Ouch, ouch.
Great chapter.
*Hugs*
BlueMoonChaos chapter 17 . 1/7
I think a pre-Academy Jim would be a super emotionally repressed/stunted, deeply mistrusting, manipulative, feral person. He would still be getting over Kodos and his experience on Tarsus, as well as previous family issues and the fact that he has essentially learned he can't trust anyone (especially those in places of authority or at least with more authority than him). Those he gets close to (literally and emotionally) either die, abandon him, or attempt to stab him in the back. Not a great way to spend the (almost) entirety of your life. So in the next chapter, will Jim be pre-Academy as in he is around 16 or just before he met Pike? Thanks for awesome new chapter too!
MumblePhantomFox chapter 17 . 1/6
60 pages?! That's freaking impressive... I really loved this! Especially the way you handled Jim's thoughts and the way everyone handled the enormity of them all, that's the kind of quality story stuff I need in my life. :D I laughed, I cried, I cheered when I got the email about the update. Seriously, keep doing what you do; this is one of my favorite fanfictions of all time. -
I'm sorry you had to go through all that crap with people. I've had some similar experiences with family. But I'm glad you're back and this chapter is lovely. Have you ever thought about doing one where the crew gets hit with some sort of fear drug and Jim has to help them work through it, while facing his own demon? Like in a 'I'm in your head and I can see your fears play out in front of me' type thing?
liz.onia chapter 17 . 1/4
An update, woo! I don't even care that it took a year to read it. Your chapters are always so good that it's an amazing surprise when I see a new one. I'm sorry you've had bad luck with friends! Don't let someone's failure to be humane keep you from opening up to others. There are good people out there still! Hope you're doing better and have found some new friends/study partners. Thanks for the update and I look forward to the pre-academy chapter in the future!
Creative Heart 1997 chapter 17 . 1/4
I have spent the last few days reading this story, and it is amazing. Thank you for writing it and not giving up on it when things went wrong in real life. This last chapter made me think alot, and helped me think through and deal with some of my own hard times. I can't thank you enoigh for that. I can't wait to see what comes next for our loveable ingenious idiot!

~Kat