Reviews for Hindsight is Doubleplusclear
Agustina Kazuyo chapter 1 . 1/29
I can perfectly accept this as canonical. Your interpretation of this book is flawless. Read and translated this for my sister, and we're both in awe of how you developed the direct correlation between the lack of figurative language, complex abstract thought, and the willingness to comply. What's even more beautiful is how you did it with only 450 words. That takes *talent*.
Infinite kudos.
If there is hope, it lies in the proles.
Bar Sira chapter 1 . 1/1
This isn't an encyclopedia entry. This is a wiki. (Don't tell me we've degenerated so far as a society that nobody knows the difference anymore…)
ABZB13 chapter 1 . 12/19/2016
CR handcup hit allyears. Doubleplusgood.
Blazinghand chapter 1 . 12/5/2016
A really good read. The ideas are really solid, so is the format
Aviendha Aviendha Aviendha chapter 1 . 11/7/2016
Interesting. I think, however, that the whole idea of Newspeak is that people would not find it necessary to think about ideas. This work goes against the purpose of 1984, but is funny nonetheless.
AzurCeleste chapter 1 . 9/22/2016
I know this story is old, but all I wanted to say is congrats in making a future version of Orwell's world. It's certainly thought-provocative.
Tourfaint chapter 1 . 7/27/2016
The best way to give this book a happy ending I've ever seen. Great job.
mutecebu chapter 1 . 2/24/2015
Nice. This was more fun than I expected. The Wikipedia notation helped keep it comical.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
Me again. Just wanted to say that I like to think of "BB will faceboot allyears" as having a double meaning. The first meaning is "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever". But the second meaning is roughly "Big Brother: never again. Resist tyranny always."

Was this intentional? If so, please confirm. I love you so much already, this would make me explode with happiness and pride at your skill.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
FWIW this is one of my favorite fanfictions of all time. Its brevity adds to its power, both because each individual idea is made stronger by its succinctness and because seeing BigBrother reduced to a few paragraphs in an old encyclopedia is very inspirational to me. It helps that I think all the arguments made here are true and also creative.

I reference this fanfic in an argument I'm making in the comments section at Youtube, /watch?vr4QntYwL9fY#. Since you were smart enough to write this amazing fanfic and you talk about related ideas here, I think you might be sort of person who would like to watch that video and to read my comment. If so, consider it a thank you for the fantastically good job you did here.
happysnail chapter 1 . 9/27/2014
I didn't know what to expect of 1984 fanfiction, but doubleplusgood! Lol seriously though, that makes sense in a social evolution sense. How could limited thinkers think to limit the thinking of limited thinkers without first having the capacity to outthink them? Never really thought about that.
cally777 chapter 1 . 2/13/2014
I'm not reviewing in Newspeak as its doubleplushard, but I like the idea that its adoption by the Party will ultimately lead to BBs destruction. Valid? I'm not sure. Orwell suggested that narrowing human thought would increase the Party's control, but its certainly a fair contention that a minimum breadth of perception is required to run a totalitarian state. Would Newspeak allow that minimum to exist?

As for the Prole takeover, I always wondered if Orwell was too pessimistic about that. Of course in your scenario they would actually gain an advantage for being Oldspeakers, but those brought into the Party might be more closely monitored (instead of being virtually ignored). It comes down to how much Newspeak would undermine the Party (if at all).

Still a fascinating contribution to the 1984 debate, and the final Newspeak quote is a delicious refutation of Orwell's despairing conclusion.
UNSecur chapter 1 . 12/7/2013
It's funny how silly something can look when you change it's style. "BB will faceboot allyears" has the same meaning as the famous quote but somehow doesn't seem scary, poetic or insightful anymore.
Hypothetical Spiritual Entity chapter 1 . 12/2/2013
That's probably the most optimistic way to look at the world of 1984. It also makes a great deal of sense. A pity this ficlet didn't exist yet, back when I'd first read Orwell's works and ended up depressed for a while. It'd have cheered me up.
n chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
plusgood words, plusreal, unduckspeak. Maybe ungoodthinkful.