Reviews for Hindsight is Doubleplusclear
mutecebu chapter 1 . 2/24
Nice. This was more fun than I expected. The Wikipedia notation helped keep it comical.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
Me again. Just wanted to say that I like to think of "BB will faceboot allyears" as having a double meaning. The first meaning is "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever". But the second meaning is roughly "Big Brother: never again. Resist tyranny always."

Was this intentional? If so, please confirm. I love you so much already, this would make me explode with happiness and pride at your skill.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
FWIW this is one of my favorite fanfictions of all time. Its brevity adds to its power, both because each individual idea is made stronger by its succinctness and because seeing BigBrother reduced to a few paragraphs in an old encyclopedia is very inspirational to me. It helps that I think all the arguments made here are true and also creative.

I reference this fanfic in an argument I'm making in the comments section at Youtube, /watch?vr4QntYwL9fY#. Since you were smart enough to write this amazing fanfic and you talk about related ideas here, I think you might be sort of person who would like to watch that video and to read my comment. If so, consider it a thank you for the fantastically good job you did here.
happysnail chapter 1 . 9/27/2014
I didn't know what to expect of 1984 fanfiction, but doubleplusgood! Lol seriously though, that makes sense in a social evolution sense. How could limited thinkers think to limit the thinking of limited thinkers without first having the capacity to outthink them? Never really thought about that.
cally777 chapter 1 . 2/13/2014
I'm not reviewing in Newspeak as its doubleplushard, but I like the idea that its adoption by the Party will ultimately lead to BBs destruction. Valid? I'm not sure. Orwell suggested that narrowing human thought would increase the Party's control, but its certainly a fair contention that a minimum breadth of perception is required to run a totalitarian state. Would Newspeak allow that minimum to exist?

As for the Prole takeover, I always wondered if Orwell was too pessimistic about that. Of course in your scenario they would actually gain an advantage for being Oldspeakers, but those brought into the Party might be more closely monitored (instead of being virtually ignored). It comes down to how much Newspeak would undermine the Party (if at all).

Still a fascinating contribution to the 1984 debate, and the final Newspeak quote is a delicious refutation of Orwell's despairing conclusion.
UNSecur chapter 1 . 12/7/2013
It's funny how silly something can look when you change it's style. "BB will faceboot allyears" has the same meaning as the famous quote but somehow doesn't seem scary, poetic or insightful anymore.
Hypothetical Spiritual Entity chapter 1 . 12/2/2013
That's probably the most optimistic way to look at the world of 1984. It also makes a great deal of sense. A pity this ficlet didn't exist yet, back when I'd first read Orwell's works and ended up depressed for a while. It'd have cheered me up.
n chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
plusgood words, plusreal, unduckspeak. Maybe ungoodthinkful.
n chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
Found this really interesting because there's so few 1984 fics. Thought I'd come back and review it. You probably get this a lot, but awesome title. Creative - putting it in an encyclopedia entry that also explains what happened afterward. Interesting hypothetical scenario. Though likely Inner Party members and children would not have used Newspeak. I especially liked the famous Newspeak text and the "artistic value" of Newspeak.
The Anguished One chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
Wonderful. A realistic way Big Brother would finally die.
Master of the Boot chapter 1 . 6/5/2013
Hey there :)

Very awesome story idea you've got here. It's a very logical and interesting look at how Big brother could fall in a realistic way. I personally love the idea of peasants taking over and running everything better. Because no offence to Orwell, the idea that the middle class is the source of all revolution is just bogus.

But it's a very interesting and weird document, maybe written in an age where newspeak is extinct but it still has its influence on the language and the mind patterns of people. Very smart idea :)

And I laughed out loud at the poster "Bb will face boot all years." Compared to O'brien's quote that just sounds idiotic. It's like a shitty tweet that someone posted when they were drunk. Actually, newspeak does seem to have similarities to text speak. Though text speak is far more nuanced than newspeak.

Good show on this.

Master of the Boot
Bushwah chapter 1 . 5/31/2013
The wiki-style [clarification needed] tags are plenty surreal, but it's generally happier than I expected a 1984 fic to be, especially a popular one. If I may ask, what happened after the BIG BROTHER ERA?

PS Big Brother is doubleplusungood... and maybe that's even politically correct now?
AnAncientBard chapter 1 . 3/13/2013
Plusgood read, is newtruth!
newver soon?
(Wow, the whole newspeak thing is hard...)
cadfael256 chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
This just made my year.
lazyguy90 chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
Hah, this is very clever.

Great work on this.