Reviews for Menko
ChuyaDud chapter 1 . 3/8/2013
I absolutely love this fic and how you portray Yuusuke's family and how he intetacts with them.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
This an amazingly written one-shot. You nailed Yusuke's characterization, the plot was fresh, interesting and believable, and the original characters were enjoyable as well (especially Yusuke's adorable little half-sister).

The scene of Yusuke and his parents playing menko painted a pretty vivid picture in my mind, and a very heartwarming (if a bit bittersweet) one at that.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
This is a really well written story.

I love how you have protrayed all of the characters in this one. It makes me want to know how things will turn out from here.

I know you have stated it is to remain a one-shot which is a shame, for this has so much potental for a sequal or two.

I would love if you would continue on with the sequel, show how he interacts with his relatives, especially since more of them are going to do it for the money they think they can gain from him.

Then there is the invatation from his dad, how is his dad's kids and wife going to react to him. You know the little girl is going to tell her favorite brother that she met a prince and who it was. Is he going to react kindly for him acting nicely to Yusuke for being nice to his sister? or possably be very mean to him and try to turn his sister against him.

Another thing to work with here is the fact Yusuke is part owner of his grandfather's buisness. How are the people there going to react to him, and how does his uncle and father feel about it. Note his father seems fine about everything, but is it truely so, is he going to use this chance his mother has given him to try and get his son back? or could there be a possible alternative motive.

Sorry for the rambling ;

But I just couldn't help but point out some of the things that help give this story some of it's potential, I mean sure there are a few things I didn't mention ... but anyway, the thing is it's a great read. If you deside to take it farther I will happily read along, and enjoy the adventure that would be sure to unfold, but if you do stand by you One-shot only standard for it. I will stand by it and not pester you on the subject, I personally enjoyed every moment of reading this story, and may look it up to read again in the future.

One last thing I wish to mention is an extra thanks to BeyondMyReach for helping you get the idea for this story, if not for that we would not have gotten such a good story to enjoy, such as this one. -
Guest chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
Good story! I really like how Yusuke narrated his thoughts and it seemed pretty close to how he would really act.
I have a request though: I would like to see Yusuke's father attending Yusuke's first wake, his thoughts and stuff like that. Thanks!
BeyondMyReach chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
Sooo good! This is totally worth the wait. Live up to my expectation? You went far and beyond, dear author-san. I really like how there was a reason for Yuusuke and his father's meeting, and not just an accidental meeting on the streets. I think Yuusuke would have simply walked away if it were the case. Next, the family. I love how you made the family into something more... 3D, I guess. It's not just like a flat family that was just there because its required to be born into a family because Yuusuke had to come from somewhere. No, you gave them personality. The scene with Mai was especially sweet. You captured the atmosphere perfectly, and I love how you seamlessly eased into the request. It was really realistic, and heartwarming.
Your portrayal of Yuusuke was brilliant. He was still a smartass, but at the same time, he undeniably had this air of maturity. Yuusuke's father was a little hard to accept at first, simply because, like you said, it's hard to like a wife-beater and a guy that would abandon his son. But you did an admirable job at making him more likable, and you could tell that he is trying to be a better father to Yuusuke. Atsuko... I was honestly a little surprise that she acted so normal around Ayumu, but I guess she had had time to accept what he had done and changed. She was extremely clever with throwing Ayumu and Yuusuke together. The little bit about Yuina was sweet too. More than anything else, I think Yuusuke appreciated her giving back his Menko and his father. It was thanks to her that he finally acknowledged this tou-san of his, after all. Now I wish you would write a squeal... I would love to see how Yuusuke and Atsuko would maybe slowly be accepted into the Urameshi family. Yuusuke certainly won little Mai over.
Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thanks for writing this beautiful piece. I really appreciate it.