Reviews for memento mori
Ireivilo chapter 5 . 1/12/2014
Well, I cried.
fb39ca4 chapter 1 . 10/10/2013
That ending was too cliche.
MaDeR Levap chapter 6 . 9/23/2013
While story is nice, it breaks suspension of disbelief, making impossible to have feels. As other reviewer said, this kind of story is not really possible in setting of Haruhi reality.

Allowing something as dangerous as dying of only person that could in some capacity control reality warper is extremely unwise. Especially if there is smallest chance that said reality warper could react in rather... irreversible... way.

Of course, there would be no story at all if most probable thing happened - Nagato silently fixing issue with Kyon's body in background as soon as it is clear how he is important. For Interface with data manipulation capabilities, it is, of course, piece of cake.

And let's not even get started about Kyon's decision...
The Reality DumPer chapter 6 . 4/18/2013
I finally noticed the part you skipped in the eleventh volume. But, I must say, this is a masterpiece! I couldn't say anymore, but this tops most of what I've read so far.
The Reality DumPer chapter 5 . 4/18/2013
Damn you! Why do you have to have tears and snot all over my face! It felt silly and at the same time it didn't... :'(
Sammy Holzbein chapter 6 . 4/5/2013
Type your review for this chapter here...
Steven P. P chapter 5 . 2/20/2013
This is an interesting but fundamentally flawed attempt. I have a rough idea of what you are trying to do here, but the Haruhi Suzumiya universe is simply unfit to handle the concept, and it comes off as... well, not exactly ridiculous, but something along those lines.

Haruhi's powers are a can of worms that may be better left unopened, because otherwise every single angle one may use to analyze it will make it look really bad. Sure, you have a point, if Haruhi was made aware of her powers and would likely want to help others with it, she would likely be unable to live her life as a "normal human" anymore, which would indeed be regrettable. But what about the other option? What gives Kyon, Koizumi and the others the right to purposefully mislead Haruhi about her abilities? Wouldn't the choice whether to use them be hers to make? Wouldn't this make Kyon and co. indirectly responsible for all the death, sickness and suffering in the world, considering how they purposefully keep the one who could help from doing anything about it?
Kyon was asked a question once, by Asakura of all people, and he answered that yes, it's probably better to do something and regret it later than do nothing at all. Of course, if he were to truly adhere to this opinion, the story would be very-very different - and so, the official answer to the above problem seems to be "let's just not dwell on that too much". You chose to do the opposite, and I commend you for your effort, but in trying to examine it seriously you fell into the very same, apparently unavoidable pits which are rather hard to climb out from.

Nagato's case, I'm sad to say, is even harder to justify. In my opinion, the fundamental flaw here is that you're trying to derive the definition of "normalcy" from our own real world, while in truth, even though outward appearances are deceiving, Kyon lives in a setting that is greatly different from ours.
Yuki is not a divine being. She's powerful, yes, and an alien, but she's also a person like anyone else. Her abilities are often compared to those of magic users, so let's use this parallel to illustrate the issue at hand: if she were a witch and had a magic spell that could cure someone's (otherwise lethal) wounds, would it make any sort of sense for the recipient to refuse, just because he can't cast spells himself? How would that be cheating? For Yuki, her power, no matter the magnitude, is as normal as it gets. Does it make sense for a person in a wheelchair to refuse to let someone run to the store and buy some bread for him? It really doesn't, right?
The reasoning that Nagato's powers should be reserved for dealing with threats of a similar magnitude is rather baseless. If I'm the head of a pharmaceutic company and one of my closest friends gets sick, would it be wrong for me to use whatever resources I have at my disposal to help him? Isn't Koizumi already doing this all the time, in a less spectacular manner using the resources of the Organization?

If we are talking about the hand we've been dealt, part of that hand is the people around us who we have the luck to call our friends and family. Kyon had several jokers in his hand, but refused to play them for reasons which are less than convincing overall. I'm rather surprised his friends actually went along with his wishes, just like how I am surprised that he of all people would come to such a conclusion. After all, isn't he the one who threatened one of the universe's most powerful entities with a possible disaster of cosmic scale if said entity would lay a finger on Nagato? Even if he's off his rocker, his friends would do well to do the same for him. They owe him as much, if nothing else.
Mackus chapter 1 . 2/8/2013
I didn't liked this.
Kyon dying to make a point? Please.
And what that point was supposed to be? "Don't do things easy way"? That advice only makes sense if there is other way.
There was no need to end it with with either death or reset button.
Kyon plainly deciding he does not want to die, had either Yuki or Haruhi save him, that would be better. Plenty opportunities for story/drama too.
What Kyon did wasn't heroic or mature. It was plain stupid.
Aaaand, after certain point of stupidity, an idiocy event horizon, its impossible for me to feel sorry for someone - so yeah, eat worms dumbass.
Pensive Rumination Observer chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
...*sniffle*...

(Goes off to quietly bawl in the corner)
Riikani chapter 6 . 1/26/2013
Oh. Oh...my heart can't take it you know. I am still sobbing while writing this review. This was possibly one of the saddest things I have read to this day.

I knew, I was in for some tragedy when I clicked this story; memento mori can't possibly end happily, but this was sadder than I expected.
I don't regret it; it was a really good story.

So thank you for writing this story.
Now to take a break to let this sink
Guest chapter 6 . 1/15/2013
That was beautiful. The whole thing. I was crying for the last two chapters. This work...was truly amazing. Thank you.
Sam chapter 1 . 12/22/2012
Ouch.

This was good.
Aidea chapter 6 . 12/22/2012
perfect
AiSard chapter 6 . 12/21/2012
Man, you write the best Haruhi fics ever.

That said though, the fact that Kyon refused Nagato's help stretched my suspension of disbelief slightly. His reasoning prior to the offer was sound and everything, but when she does actually offer Kyon just accepts the good with the bad right there? Fairplay is nice and all but you'd think the human will to stay alive would come out then.. ok, so technically he was on his last legs there, already accepted his situation and basically went to sleep staring at Haruhi... but still.

Normality is one thing, as is fairness, but humanity and reality is never fair and 'normal' is always subjective. What he did there was basically refuse help from a friend because he thought that people didn't deserve that level of help, which was different from Haruhi where the act of helping would have possibly deteriorated Haruhi's state, although yea, his specific circumstances do kinda excuse him for it.

I guess I'm just raging at the fact that man, if Nagato had just popped in to offer help a liiittle bit sooner he wouldn't have had to die, the fact that she comes in /after/ Kyon just made peace with himself... grr

That said, absolutely love this fic (and all fics by you) and really enjoyed the epilogue as well :) her perspective made me smile
Sad smile chapter 6 . 12/14/2012
And this is why I like your writing. Not because of the character death, or the sorrow, but because you capture what the characters would do in any given situation. You seem to be able to get inside the characters minds, and then write the story from there.