Reviews for An Avatar Christmas Carol
Boogum chapter 5 . 12/28/2012
Finally getting the chance to read this! I love that this ghost is Lu Ten. The impulsive hug was lovely and just really brings it home how much Azula cares for her cousin.

/"An impossible city is full of possibilities...that's got to be some sort of proverb, hasn't it?" Lu Ten muses.

"Oh no! It's starting! You're looking for proverbs everywhere. You really are your father's son." Azula teases./

Lolol! Loved that!

/"Well, at least Zuzie is a bit more dignified than Gruncle." Uncle Iroh says as he gives her a slight hug. He has been unceremoniously dubbed Gruncle/

*snorts* OMG, that is hilarious and just reminded me of the evilness of my own nephews. Those nicknames are both amusing and exasperating.

Haha, I love how Azula just assumes that Katara is a drunken wench rather than being pregnant. Also enjoyed her musings about Kya and Lu Ten (junior). The part with the shovel-wielding serial killer had me cracking up. Fluffy family moments are my favourite, but even better when an awkward Aang is thrown into the mix.

Scratch that. Even better when Zuko and Azula have awkward 'feels' conversations and still somehow end in a hug, despite the no hugging policy. So adorable!

Aww, Lu Ten and Azula's conversation was very sad and touching, but filled with hope as well. Much appreciated, as was the open ending to this fic. I like to think that she does send that message and goes back to living in the world and embracing her future, not just dwelling in the past, but either way those thoughts are with her now and they will not be easily banished.

Very enjoyable story! It was refreshing to read Zutara without being bombarded with Zutara, and I very much enjoyed your take on Azula's 'redemption'.
AnnaAza chapter 5 . 12/28/2012
I LOVED this story. In anyone else's hands, this could have been a cheesy, contrived mush of A Christmas Carol with just AtLA characters being tossed in and Azula being good, but this was really thought out and all-around wonderful!

I loved the moments with post-stalking Zuko and Katara. They're just so sweet together. Dr. Yang is is hilarious, too; she reminds me strongly of Professor McGonagall—she has the bigger picture in mind and isn't afraid to scold, but she loves her students (or, in this case, apprentice) and is willing to help them out with a kind smile.

Azula is right-on. It's easy to write her as bitchy and moody and bitchy, bu this was perfect. It was funny when she pretended to have the hots for Katara and was talking hack to The Spirits. Brilliant idea of the Spirits, by the way—Lu Ten was the best. I agree with you that her issues would not be solved with the graveyard showing; they need gentleness and what Lu Ten offered her. She really had messed-up Christmases (man, they were. I didn't expect HAPPY Christmases from the Royal Family, but this was depressing!), and her experiences really shaped her.

I really enjoyed this! You sure now your stuff!
BoogieBoy chapter 5 . 12/25/2012
My review isn't going to be as positive as it usually is.

One of the most well-executed things in Christmas Carlo is the pacing (duh, Dickens). There is this slowly building aura of depression, hopelessness and regret building through the series, the highest point is in The Ghost of Christmas Future, with the whole thing becoming soul crushing. Which makes Christmas Morning all the better, you go from this sudden feel of oppressive loneliness and despair to a full explosion of happiness, cheer, joy and the spirit of the holiday. It is that drastic change from one extreme to the next that make the last scene, and the story, so emotionally powerful.

I see what you are doing, and I can see why you did it, but it doesn't work as well. Lu Ten isn't leading to a big bang of sappiness, he is slowly defusing the situation. Now at this point you can still try and go for the last part - the joy and merry spirit, however the story finishes just before the Bob Cratchit scene.

My suggestion, include her conversation with Zuko when he comes to pick her up, if you're feeling up to the task and generous enough maybe include the Christmas Party as well(you have been building up to the reveal of Zuko and Katara's secret, but you never show the moment).

I can see why you did what you did and I can say I approve it, but it lacks the punch of the original, it's just missing the "Merry Christmas Bob!" moment.

Sorry for the late review, but you know - Christmas.
psychedelic aya chapter 5 . 12/25/2012
Oh, this was beautiful. I teared up a bit at the end. I love how you wrote Azula and how everyone else fit in to this story that was supposed to be hers - because that's it, right? It may be her story but she is not alone. It's quite brilliant. Good job, and Merry Christmas!
Its2dark2read chapter 5 . 12/25/2012
Merry Christmas!
QueenJin chapter 5 . 12/24/2012
Love. Love. Love.
Momorulz chapter 5 . 12/24/2012
U can't end this! Where the epilogue at least!
chromeknickers chapter 5 . 12/24/2012
Ah, you're gutting me with Lu Ten here. I always imagined Azula might have had a slight crush on him when she was younger and was devastated by his death, naturally blaming her uncle. So, yes, he makes the perfect avatar for the spirit of Christmas Future. :)

I knew Ursa was alive! I am intrigued that she is a firebender, though. I guess I always assumed she was a nonbender, despite her Avatar grandfather.

(Mum hugs Zuko a bit longer than Azula feels is necessary and she feels a familiar flicker of jealousy. It's just a flicker though. Not the bonfire of envy that she was so used to. Azula has started to make peace with the fact that everybody loves Zuko more. She understands their reasons, at least.)

Gah! You're gutting me again. Too much here. Too much. You're making me misty-eyed.

(Okay...what if I am the best firebender the world has ever seen and I run into a man who I know is a bad man who ….like kills people with shovels all the time. So this man kills people with a shovel everyday, and I run into him and he has a shovel... don't I have a duty to stop him, as the world's best firebender?)

LOLOLOL! I have no idea why the mention of shovels cracks me up, but it does. Hehe. And Kya has a point, obviously.

Lu Ten's confession is heart-wrenching. I really like how you've paralleled he and Azula. And a nice little ending. I hope to read more Azula-centric fics from you in the future. This one was great. :)
grandiose6 chapter 5 . 12/24/2012
I loved this! so sweet, I got all teary, I liked the last chapter with Lu Ten best.
Viannaz chapter 5 . 12/24/2012
This was WONDERFUL! The whole story was just so well crafted and expressed so many interesting and plausible ideas! I was happily surprised with the joyfulness in this chapter, esp considering the original story. The characterizations were spot on.. I just loved everything about it! Amazing job! And merry christmas to you too! :,D
Kimberly T chapter 5 . 12/23/2012
So utterly NOT what I was expecting... instead, it's 300% better!

This was just lovely; sweet, and as warm as a day in late spring-or a Christmas in the Fire Nation! ;-)
WhereTheStarsShine chapter 5 . 12/23/2012
I loved this chapter, and this entire story.
The TV show usually potrays her as unfeeling and inhumane and just a horrible person but shes essentially a 15 year old girl thats been abused all her life and taught to hate and kill and instill fear. This story brings a new side to her and well, makes her a lot more three dimensional.
I like your universe's Azula.
Also, Gruncle? Cant help but think of Gravity Falls lol.
KnowledgeandImagination chapter 5 . 12/23/2012
I loved this! I was really glad of the way you dealt with the future Christmas's. it's really nice to see this as the final chapter, with so much happiness and laughter and joy. it gives me so much hope! (haha, a little katara moment there).

And I think the fact that Lu Ten appeared to her like this is like a confirmation that she is also special. I'm really glad she got to have this adventure, and the ending... gah, I wanted to cry because it was so bittersweet, but very, very lovely.

Thank you once again for all your awesome stories! I can't wait to see more from you!
Fireborn101 chapter 5 . 12/23/2012
That was lovely! I really like how you did Lu Ten he seemed so awesome in NSZ when Zuko talked about him and this didn't disappoint in the slightest!
Huggles chapter 5 . 12/23/2012
Awwwww! This was amazing! I always loved azula as a character even if she was portrayed as a crazy evil firebending prodigy. I always felt that with a little more love would have made her a better person.( Demonstrated in Notes On Daughter.)
Have a nice Christmas!