Reviews for An Avatar Christmas Carol
Boogum chapter 4 . 12/22/2012
I'm half-asleep right now, so I apologise now for what is likely to be a really rubbish review ...

I am really enjoying this story, which I've probably said every chapter now. Love that Iroh is the ghost of Christmas present; it suits him. Also love how the moment she is allowed outside, Iroh starts nagging her about men. Typical Iroh.

/He's not having Toph go out by drowning. It's such a lame way to go for someone so badass.

"Yeah, it'd be almost as lame as nearly dying from a lifeboat to the head" the Blind Brat fires back cheekily, before giving him an affectionate punch on the arm./

LOL, loved that. Got a real laugh out of me.

Ahh, and here come the lessons. I do like the way you are exploring all of this. Especially liked this part:

/She blamed her Uncle for everything. She had to blame someone... She said cruel things about Lu Ten's death being all his fault. She kept trying to push him back into that depression – because she was young and she thought that making her Uncle feel worse would make her feel better./

I've never thought of it like that before, but it certainly seems like realistic possibility that Azula could feel that way. At least, very much so for the Azula in this story.

LOL! Katara is the new Helen of Troy, I see.

No crackers? Wow, those poor, deprived people. Nothing beats silly cracker hats and lame jokes at Christmas.

In any case, this was a great chapter! Loved every moment of it, and especially liked how Azula came to realise that her uncle wasn't so bad (even if he is only the Ghost of the Christmas Present). Look forward tot he next chapter!
chromeknickers chapter 4 . 12/21/2012
I am just loving this story. Seeing everything from Azula's eyes is just so refreshing, including banter between Zuko and Toph.

(Azula always knew she liked the Blind Brat for a reason.)

Hehehe. I've always considered Toph the sister Zuko should have had and could have had the parents not taken their respective sides (Ozai, Azula; Ursa, Zuko) and had a crown not been at stake. If these two basically hadn't been pitted against each other at birth, I think they would have had this sort of a relationship.

("It's just that Toph had a Nanny who used to say that phrase too.)

Oh my gosh! Are you hinting that maybe one of Toph's nannies was Ursa? Wow, that would be quite the surprise!

Lol, the helmet joke reminds me of the stupid helmet from That 70s Show. ;P

(Everybody knows that what they mean by "walk" is a long disgusting kissing and groping session under the palm trees.)

LOLOLOL! I friggin' love your Azula. XD Oh, and I'd totally be crushing on Hakoda like Ty Lee. He's fine!

(It looks like tigerdillo crap that has been boiled in the salty, bitter tears of newly orphaned children.)

HAHAHAHAHA! OMG! I think I just died! HAHAHA! My stomach hurts now. Damn you! XD

And after the laugh you're gutting me with Azula's pain. Poor girl. You do have to feel a bit sorry for her - and I like your reasoning for why she's upset with Iroh.

("That's how she flirts!" Zuko replies.)

*snorts* Hehehe. Oh, Zuko.

Ah, this was a great chapter. I can't wait for the next. :D
Lux Aureus chapter 4 . 12/21/2012
I'm not sure if this is a huge coincidence or intentional, but I thought it worth bringing up.

So Azula's doctor is Dr Jung. If I'm right, that's a reference to Carl Jung, one of psychiatry's pioneers?

I looked back a bit and Dr Jung's teacher was Dr Wang, whereas Carl Jung was a student of Freud. Freud was all about penis envy and cigars being cigars and really just a lot of focus in the crotch region, and you named this other person Dr Wang.

I've fabricated amazing coincidences of a similar scale in my own writing, but I have a feeling this was intentional.
Kimberly T chapter 4 . 12/21/2012
So I guessed wrong on who the Spirit of Christmas Present would be, but Uncle Iroh is definitely a batter choice for the role where Azula is concerned.

Oooooh, Zuko was SO CLOSE to receiving a clue about what happened to his mother just then, but he has no idea what he just missed! :-(

Yup, if the Fire Nation celebrated Christmas they would definitely have Christmas crackers!

Guessing time again: the Spirit of Christmas Future will be perceived by Azula to be Mai at her gloomiest. Either that or Ozai. -shudders-
DreamerDust chapter 4 . 12/20/2012
Ahhh! Be still my heart, I'm so excited that Azula is starting to come around... We're all hoping for the best for her.

One thing I hadn't mentioned in previous reviews and maybe other reviewers have said this, the way you use bolded and italicized words really fits in with the narrative style and Azula's voice. I can literally hear her voice actress speaking this way at times when I'm reading.
Fireborn101 chapter 4 . 12/20/2012
That was great but I really liked the Sokka idea that someone had. Well done though. I'm looking forward to the next Spirit.
Komo Pineconeseed chapter 4 . 12/20/2012
I dunno why, but I really liked this chapter. If I had to guess, it'd be because Azula and the not-Iroh had such an interesting relationship. Familial!Toko was sweet too. And Zuko was SO CLOSE to getting news of his mother. Arg.

You know, when I first finished AtLA, I really didn't like Azula or Mai, but my opinion of Azula has been greatly changed by your writing. I guess I just forgot that Azula was a 14-year-old girl and not some unforgivable, nonredeemable woman. As for Mai, I still don't particular like her, but not as much as I originally did.

I dunno if we have Christmas Crackers here in the States. I've never seen them before, but my experiences with a complete American Christmas is limited due to my being a second-generation immigrant.

Why do I get this horrible feeling that the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come is going to resemble Ozai?
BoogieBoy chapter 4 . 12/20/2012
I expect Ozai, I don't know why, but the spirit of Christmas Future I expect to be him.

Lovely piece, tug on my heartstrings, carry on and may we soon read the next joyous entry(well, knowing what happens next, I expect anything but joyous).

Wonder how much the encounter with this spirit changed her opinion of her Uncle.
KnowledgeandImagination chapter 4 . 12/20/2012
I loved this chapter, as usual! And I love all your literary allusions. XDXD. not only that, but that line about launching a thousand ships reminded me so much of the TV tropes page for it XD

I also loved the Toph-zuko interaction there. they're so cute together. Zuko is just like that patient older brother with his bratty sister. XD I felt so sad for the allusion to ursa though. I was just waiting, hoping... but then again, it can't be that easy, right?

I liked Azula finally getting to spend some time with uncle in a friendly manner too. I think they would be able to do so in the future provided they bury the hatchet. I mean, uncle's not really a hateful person at all.

anyways, can't wait for the next chapter as usual!
patty cake rocks chapter 4 . 12/20/2012
oi this is good i can't wait for the next installment!
Boogum chapter 3 . 12/20/2012
/"I always miss the drama." Zuko says ruefully.

"You are the drama. /

haha, so true.

/Yes, but what would it do for your reputation as the girl who climbs into the firelord's room to get all handsy with him?" Dr Yang says bluntly.

"Fine, Christmas miracle it is." Bossy acquiesces./

LOL! I like this Dr Yang.

And I really did like this chapter. Lots of moments where I just wanted to hug Azula, and I loved the fact she managed to (literally) kick some sense into Katara. Ninja!Katara was also appreciated.

It's fitting that Azula would retreat into her stubborness and still believe that being alone is best. It's going to take a lot more than that to make her change her view of life, considering how engrained it is into her. I look forward to seeing how things go from here.
Boogum chapter 2 . 12/20/2012
Finally getting around to reading this!

/And she would only consider getting the tattoos if they could be "girly" and "swirly" and "pink". Blue arrows would not work for her complexion or with any of her outfits./

Ha, that made me laugh! I could totally see Ty Lee saying something like this.

/The Avatar gives her a slightly admonishing look and says "You shouldn't be so glum. I like to start all my adventures on a more upbeat note. And for all you know, we are going to have so much fun together."

"Now I really want to just get this over with." Azula sneers back./

LOL. This is great. I'm already looking forward to how these two will interact. They have such a hilarious dynamic.

Awww, I loved the little Lu Ten/Zuko/Azula moment. It's so adorable to see them all just playing together like normal children, but there's always that hint of sadness as well, because we all know what happens later. Poor Azula. Poor Zuko. Poor Lu Ten. :(

Ah, the whole scene where Ozai was drunk was very painful to read - not that it was badly written, but much, much too real. I definitely felt for all of them (except Ozai, of course).

You're killing me here. Poor, poor Iroh. I just want to hug him, and Zuko, and Azula. I love that Zuko starts seeing The Song That Doesn't End (evil as it is); I could totally see young Zuko being ridiculously stubborn like that, while Iroh sits there trying to be all grumpy and stubborn in his pit of despair (however justfied that pit might be).

/"Also, as soon as I figure out a song that annoys you as much as that travesty annoys me; Your ears will ring from hearing me sing it over and over and over again." Uncle says, there is the faintest, briefest glimpse of his old humour./

Hahaha, I don't doubt that at all.

Aww, this chapter really was so heartbreaking. I really feel for Azula.
DreamerDust chapter 3 . 12/19/2012
(Tenshiyaki)

Hahahha I can see how Azula's outburst was inspired by Edna! That was really brilliant.

I continue to be super amused by but also really understand Azula's reactions to Zuko and Katara (I kind of feel that way about Zutara fanfics in generally sometimes hehe...). It makes me feel like her and Zuko's relations are very simple but also insanely complex at the same time. Like she refused him just enough to severe what they had but she accepted him enough for him not to have given up altogether.

I REALLY CAN'T WAIT FOR MOREEE
DreamerDust chapter 2 . 12/19/2012
(Tenshiyaki again)

Man, the Uncle Iroh scene is so powerful. I love the parallels you drew between that and Azula's eventual state. Also, I really dig your stalking universe! It has so much awesome potential. I actually think it would be strange to try to create some kind of Avatar-world equivalent to Christmas because we are AMERICAN and whatever, it makes sense to me! I'm also really glad that this prompt could let you use an interest that you have as a writer and not just with the Avatar characters. The Dickens reference are subtle but add so much to the story.
DreamerDust chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
(this is Tenshiyaki from LJ)

I'm SO PSYCHED at the direction you went with the prompts I gave! :D :D I can't properly describe all the emotions I felt during this whole chapter, it was just SO absolutely wonderful. Like I'm amused by Azula and love her and pity her and feel giddy about the Zutara and then feel like my HEART is ripping when Ursa shows up.

I love all the references you have in here and your characterization of Azula is so rich and human, I feel like we can all relate to her (well not REALLY... but you know what I mean). I'm just OMG I just LOVE THIS. It's not often that we actually see Zutara from an outsider perspective that's not Aang (lol poor Aang).
71 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »