Reviews for An Avatar Christmas Carol
DreamerDust chapter 3 . 12/19/2012
(Tenshiyaki)

Hahahha I can see how Azula's outburst was inspired by Edna! That was really brilliant.

I continue to be super amused by but also really understand Azula's reactions to Zuko and Katara (I kind of feel that way about Zutara fanfics in generally sometimes hehe...). It makes me feel like her and Zuko's relations are very simple but also insanely complex at the same time. Like she refused him just enough to severe what they had but she accepted him enough for him not to have given up altogether.

I REALLY CAN'T WAIT FOR MOREEE
DreamerDust chapter 2 . 12/19/2012
(Tenshiyaki again)

Man, the Uncle Iroh scene is so powerful. I love the parallels you drew between that and Azula's eventual state. Also, I really dig your stalking universe! It has so much awesome potential. I actually think it would be strange to try to create some kind of Avatar-world equivalent to Christmas because we are AMERICAN and whatever, it makes sense to me! I'm also really glad that this prompt could let you use an interest that you have as a writer and not just with the Avatar characters. The Dickens reference are subtle but add so much to the story.
DreamerDust chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
(this is Tenshiyaki from LJ)

I'm SO PSYCHED at the direction you went with the prompts I gave! :D :D I can't properly describe all the emotions I felt during this whole chapter, it was just SO absolutely wonderful. Like I'm amused by Azula and love her and pity her and feel giddy about the Zutara and then feel like my HEART is ripping when Ursa shows up.

I love all the references you have in here and your characterization of Azula is so rich and human, I feel like we can all relate to her (well not REALLY... but you know what I mean). I'm just OMG I just LOVE THIS. It's not often that we actually see Zutara from an outsider perspective that's not Aang (lol poor Aang).
don't feed the models chapter 3 . 12/19/2012
I love this! D'aww it was cute but I sympathized with azula at the same time. It's a great piece!
BoogieBoy chapter 3 . 12/18/2012
Why do I have a feeling The Ghost of Christmas Future isn't going to show us an old Azula who dies unloved and alone, but instead will show us a twenty-something Azula that kills herself?

Anyway, Dickens always pulled on my heartstrings, I love "Christmas Carol", more than words can express. And you're Avatar-y rendition does it justice.

Anyway, I few things I've been meaning to ask...

"She loves him, but in a way that makes it all kinds of impossible to ever tell him. Azula used to wish that she could give him another sister."

"Old Azula considers that there might be some poetry in an ending like that for her father. Destroyed by the very weapon he forged."

Are there some plotlines you'd like to share with us?

Also, the saddest part of this chapter is probably the fact that Azula doesn't see herself amounting to something due to her sickness. She believes Katara would be one of the best waterbenders, Zuko would be one of the greatest firelord and she sees herself as nothing.

Anyway, great chapter. Truth be told I expected this to be "The Ghost of Christmas Present", but I don't mind having more than five chapters :D
Kimberly T chapter 3 . 12/18/2012
Ayup, sometimes, we get pep talks that say exactly what we need, from the people we would never EVER have expected to give them! Instead of 'Out of the mouths of babes', it's 'out of the mouths of utter aseholes'...
chromeknickers chapter 3 . 12/17/2012
Lolol. Your Azula cracks me up.

(When Bossy losses her shit – it is only because shit is getting real. Azula and the Avatar watch in silence as Bossy losses her shit.)

Gah. I am seriously loving the fact that you're showing the Zutara dynamic through Azula's eyes. It makes it so much more real and stark and oddly depressing. If this upsets Azula on some level then you know it's bad.

(The way Azula saw it, when you loved someone, you became like a house without a roof. Vulnerable to all sorts of things. All your soft bits and fine furnishings were laid bare to the sky. All sorts of elements could get in; the wind, the rain, the storms. So much damage could be done.)

*sigh* I love this analogy, and I love you for inserting seriousness and insight in the midst of the 'crack'. And I friggin' LOVE what you had Azula say to Katara. She needed to hear that.

(Bossy loves being right and so this is a huge concession on her part.)

*snorts* This is so true.

You are killing me with this story - in the best possible way. I cannot wait for the next chapter. :3
KnowledgeandImagination chapter 3 . 12/17/2012
awww, that was so sweet! and even though I knew that Zuko was going to be okay, I swear i was sitting on the edge of my seat with worry as well when Katara was healing him

I loved Dr. Yang here. she's so blunt, but so trustworthy. haha, I love her tough love no-nonsense attitude.

Poor azula though... I hope for the best for her! can't wait for the next update!
Fireborn101 chapter 3 . 12/17/2012
This was great especially:
"The Possibility of Love? Are you high? Again? I really need to have a word with your manager."

This too: "Stoppit! Stop crying right now! I can't take it!" The abrupt change in Azula and the kick up the arse both surprise Bossy greatly. Her wide blue eyes stare up at Azula is shock. Azula shouts incredulously at her. "How dare you sit there crying oh what am I going to do? What the fuck is wrong with you!? You are Bossy Bossy Peasant! You have got to pull yourself the fuck together!" Bossy is taken aback. Azula is not done. She pokes Bossy firmly in her shoulder and says "You are the bossiest wench in the entire universe. You are the best waterbender of your generation and I know that is a fucking fact because you defeated me!" Azula pauses for breath, before continuing. "You don't take shit from anyone. You certainly don't take shit from grumpy old men. You absolutely do not sit on your arse wailing what am I going to do?! No... you always get off your arse and do something!"'
And this: "you're right Azula. Thank you." Bossy loves being right and so this is a huge concession on her part.
Aaand this: "Azula's default is anger. Bossy's default is motherly scolding."
But most of all this: "Well you were the logical choice. You are the only one who finds the sight of him sleeping fascinating." Dr Yang says dismissively. Bossy beams at her. "Oh, don't look at me like that." Bossy cannot contain herself. She flings her arms around Dr Yang, gushing "Thank you, thank you thank you" all the while. Dr Yang is stiff in the embrace. "Katara, you know my rules about hugging." she states. Still, one arm comes up to give Bossy a little pat on the back, despite said rules. Then the other arm. This would definitely count as hugging. "Now get out of here. Go spend Christmas snuggling with your boyfriend." Dr Yang says as she disentangles herself from Bossy's pentapuslike embrace. Bossy does not need to be told twice."
KnowledgeandImagination chapter 2 . 12/17/2012
I enjoyed this chapter very much! I love how you portray Azula and Zuko as children. It really fleshes out their character and makes Azula seem much more human than the original cartoon did.

the last scene made me want to read and know all that happened so badly! XDXD

Thanks for the update! hope you update again soon!
Charmed Ravenclaw chapter 2 . 12/17/2012
The part about Zuko dying at the hand of those pirates made my heart wrench here for Azula to feel emotion - that whole situation must have reminded her of Lu Ten dying. I had tears in my eyes there. I wonder what Azula's bond with Toph here is. I can't wait for you to continue this, I love the premise.
Charmed Ravenclaw chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
This is really interesting! I like how you creatively transformed Christmas Carol and applied it to Azula. The part about the chains was a really interesting twist. It does make me wonder about Zuko and Azula's mother in your canon and whether she really is dead though.
Obsidian Buterfly chapter 2 . 12/16/2012
'Alone protects me.' I knew I had heard that somewhere but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until you mentioned Sherlock. Great chapter btw!
chromeknickers chapter 2 . 12/16/2012
Lol, of course the Spirit of Christmas Past would be Aang. XD

(However the last visit was wonderfully diverting. Simply because the Avatar got frustrated. This is a sight as rare as unicorns, as rare as Bossy peasant not being bossy, as rare as Zuko not being awkward.)

Haha! I absolutely love your metaphors. *snickers* And Azula is such a shit-disturber; she loves to stir the pot and I love her for stirring it. ;)

But man are you tugging at my heartstrings here, with the blast to Azula and Zuko's past. The scene with Zuko trying to get Iroh to get up and the scene where Zuko's telling Azula that she's not a monster... yeah, I don't need my heart. Thanks. And I do believe your tore my beating heart out when you wrote Azula's freakout scene in Zuko's room when she thinks he's dead.

This is so good. I can't wait to read the Spirit of Christmas Present. :D
chromeknickers chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
I'm reviewing as I read, so forgive me if my reviews are rubbish. I have to admit that Azula's humbug ways are cracking me up. She's rather perfect for a mental humbug. ;P

(There is bitterness and resentment which is always aired in a dramatic fashion, normally after a few wines had been drunk and before desert. Someone would have to disgrace themselves. An elderly relative would decide it was time to be "honest" with everyone. Carrots would be thrown.)

This is so very true, but I especially like how you added the carrots being thrown. XD

(But then he went and got himself a new family – complete with replacement sister.)

Aww, this is so heartbreaking. I always figured Azula would be jealous of the gAang, especially Toph and Katara.

(Their childhood was a war without a name.)

Love this turn of phrase. It so perfectly describes their childhood.

HAHAHA! You are cracking me up with the Azula x Bossy interactions. I could so see Azula antagonising her on purpose to get the reactions she wants. She has Katara pegged.

I really love how you interpreted the prompt(s). It's refreshing to see Katara and Zuko's secret relationship from Azula's point of view, as well as the politics of it.

(Bossy was finer than a July day. Azula would totally tap that.)

I think MY brain exploded. LOLOLOL! I am in love with your Azula! XD

(Azula had written on the card a very rude message along the lines of please accept these gifts from my brother and I. If you wish, we can improve your birthday by giving you lots of oral sex later. Oral sex which you will not need to reciprocate, because this day is about you.)

OMG, you are killing me here! LOLOL!

(Azula suspects it is love. It fills Azula with fear. It fills her with confusion.)

And now you are gutting me. I feel so sorry for Azula, and Zuko. Those two just had the shittiest sort of childhood thanks to Ozai. *sigh* And the fact that this is very much turning into a Christmas Carol is knotting my stomach. I love what you have done with this story so far.
74 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »