Reviews for A Desolate Occupancy
librarywitch chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
That was a good one. I like how John reacted.
Puggle chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
Stunningly beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
mrspencil chapter 1 . 2/15/2013
Neatly done:-)

You built this up very cleverly from the arrival of the parcel. And you are clearly a master of the anagram:-)

An inspired way of melding canon with BBC in order to prepare John gently. John's mix of emotions at the end are well described, too.

Mrs P:-)
hjohn302 chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Oh - oh...

How I haven't read this before, I don't know. But I love it! It is so cool how you wove all this together!

Beautiful job... having Sherlock leave him a birthday present, and that he sat and read it all in one sitting, and finally made a connection.

Perfect.
Lucy36 chapter 1 . 1/4/2013
Brilliant !
spinner12 chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
Thanks combination of old and new.
Ennui Enigma chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
Well, this is a delight to read...the sad beginning is forgiven in light of the ending! Actually, rather mirrors the tumultuous feelings and emotions that hit me on my birthday. It's nice to know John understands too :-)

I simply adore the idea of Sherlock giving John a book for his birthday and in reality, giving him himself - in all his vulnerabilities. He risked it all on John's birthday. In not so many words...he offered his heart back to John knowing John had every right to reject him. It is a gutsy thing to do and isn't easy. Many a relationship fails b/c one or the other quails and bails at the last minute - not willing to risk it all. Finding the danger too great.

"Desire, both the whispers and the shouts, is the map we have been given to find the only life worth living."
- JOHN ELDREDGE, Desire

long day at the A&E. Not quite as exciting as chasing after a madman in a greatcoat, but enough to keep him feeling more or less alive - I can empathise with John on this one! Nice!

Sitting on his chair was a package, neatly wrapped, tied with a ribbon. A present.
He stopped abruptly and then put the cup down afraid he'd spill. - nice description of an action that conveys an emotion that would be otherwise difficult to to get across.

He unwrapped the package in the way that use to drive Harry mad, slowly, pulling at each piece of tape. - ha, ha...that's how I always unwrap my presents too!

When he reached the street he had Sherlock's luck grabbing a cab - must be getting more cat-like :-)

I owe you a thousand apologies - love the nod to Canon

A small smile quirked at the corner of Sherlock's mouth, a smile that pleaded forgiveness and understanding. It was the smile that saved the two men from being bruised, the taller on the chin, the shorter on the fist. - poignant and humorous all at the same time!

Thank you so much for a lovely, wonderful birthday present. I'm thrilled! You have brightened my day immensely. My life is all the richer in colour and excitement b/c of you :-)
jack63kids chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
That is so great. Love that you used an original story and adapted it - EE will appreciate that. Nice use of the present and Sherlock being so sure of John that he would read it all and follow the 'instructions'.

And that's not what I call sad-sad - more contemplative-sad, which isn't really sad at all. So no apologies required. Beautiful.
thedragonaunt chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
This is lovely! I like the way you used elements from the original and wove them seamlessly into your own narrative. Great writing! Can't wait to see how SM and co bring him back.
johnsarmylady chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
Oh that was wonderful! A brilliant piece of birthday mystery!
JAL x
Book girl fan chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
So is 'The Desolate Occupancy' a real story, or one made up for this piece?