Reviews for Magic & Mead
Theowyn of HPG chapter 15 . 1/5
Great, great story! I really enjoyed it; it's a lovely companion piece to Beneath.

And regarding your pre-chapter notes from the last chapter, you definitely need to work catching arrows into a story at some point. I've actually envisioned them learning to catch spears - well Loki catching them and Thor doing the throwing - and I plan to include that in my sequel to Beneath.
Theowyn of HPG chapter 14 . 1/5
So, I have to ask about Frigga and Loki's conversation. Why does she think he might have been trying to hurt himself and why is he so inexplicably unnerved by her closeness and the conversation? He is dramatically upset and it can't just be frustration over having to take the blame for Thor. The boys have been doing that for each other for years.
Theowyn of HPG chapter 9 . 1/5
This whole episode of Thor getting Loki drunk echo's so much the story of Loki killing Baldur. The parallels are so painful to see. Two brothers who decide to play reckless tricks on their little brothers without realizing what the consequences might be. The shock and fear and terrible guilt that follows. The remorse and conviction that they would do anything to undo their rash, foolish mistake.

The difference, of course, is that Thor got lucky and Loki didn't. Loki survived Thor's reckless prank and Baldur died from Loki's. I wonder if Thor has ever equated these two episodes. Undoubtedly not, since he thinks Loki killed Baldur intentionally. But, maybe someday he will and he'll be able to understand how Loki felt as he watched his little brother die through his own fault.
Theowyn of HPG chapter 4 . 12/30/2014
I've finally gotten around to reading this and I absolutely love it! I wasn't really planning to review until the end, but this chapter was superb. Loki's chilling treatment of Ranka and Thor's arrogant dismissal of her as unworthy of better are both perfect character moments. Loki's cunning cruelty and Thor's callous arrogance will become legendary in the future, but are already firmly rooted in these boys.

The reason I am reviewing though is your last paragraph. Odin was such an arrogant fool. (Still is.) Had he only played to his sons' strengths instead of trying to force each to be something he's not, things would have been so much better. I know why he excludes Loki here and it's a fool's errand. All he does is plant the seeds of resentment between his sons. So sad and so avoidable.
Hekka chapter 8 . 10/29/2014
But Loki's aesir appearance cannot be just spellwork of Odin. Otherwise, why would he not have made Loki look more as his with Frigg son? Besides, during all these years the spell definitely was to fall into disrepair in moment of caster's weakness (regular periods of odinsleep). So it Loki's own innate abilities of shapeshifting. And most likely that Odin just provoked his very first shift. And then a new climate, a new location and ambience contributed of his unconscious maintaining a more suitable form (after all, it doesn't disguise spell, but a complete change of the body). Add subsequent Loki's fear frost giants and it becomes clear why his roots not given themself before fiasco with the coronation.
ChaosRivers chapter 15 . 8/13/2014
I really like the seriousness of Thor's first successful prank to Loki being the start of the hidden animosity Loki feels. Also, you write well for the ages they are supposed to be here. Loki is not quite as eloquent in his speech nor cruel, Thor not as arrogant or the gallant Thor post-character development, but they sound like teens who are stuck between childhood and the adult world realities around them. Loki wondering if he will ever get bigger and stronger is a real issue teen guys think about, even if they aren't a "jock". Thor trying to get Loki to eat the crackers is very like a young teen would still do, teens and young adults can act childish without thinking it, and that's okay. Too bad that the first time we think of Thor feeding Loki after this event, it's from the nightmare in 'Beneath'
WyldwoodFaye chapter 15 . 7/26/2014
I really like seeing that playful side of Odin...
Ah, it hurts my heart to know that everything goes downhill from here :(
WyldwoodFaye chapter 11 . 7/26/2014
Awww.. that made me tear up... Odin & Loki having a family moment... what went wrong? So sad... :(
WyldwoodFaye chapter 10 . 7/26/2014
I love Eir. I'd like to see more of her.
And this story is so cute.. I love hearing about Loki & Thor's childhood/adolescent misadventures.
BlaqueCat13 chapter 15 . 5/31/2014
So much of this story breaks my heart. Loki loved his family so much.

I'm a parent of two adopted children, and they both have known since the age of four. That is Odin's & Frigga's mistake, they should have been forthcoming with Loki, they both knew he was a sensitive child, it would've been hard at first but he eventually would've seen that it didn't matter. The earlier the better. Also no one has to know they didn't want them to.
BlaqueCat13 chapter 8 . 5/28/2014
I found Frigga's comment about the universe coming to an end, a bit amusing since it is known that Loki brings about Ragnarok.
BlaqueCat13 chapter 4 . 5/27/2014
Hey there. I was thinking, (something I try not to do too often), Odin always told his boys that they were both meant to be kings, or at least in the movie he did. You would think that he would teach both boys the do's & don'ts of being a king. They each have a role to play, but they should be educated in all protocol as king and advisor, etc. but then again this is your interpretation. Which btw I like.
kyermehtar chapter 3 . 2/12/2014
This is a darling story and, having just read Beneath, I find it both enlightening and endearing. I don't usually bother to point out typos, but since I've only noticed one in the past 700,000 words it seems worth mentioning that you gave Loki a 'think' round band to hang about his neck. With anyone else I'd probably shrug it off with a "meh, 'thick', whatevs." But you're too good for that.

Yours, etc...
Guest chapter 7 . 2/2/2014
Haha! Drunk conversations. Dang, Loki really knows how to put it away...

I wonder if his poem will turn out better than before? I sure as hell can't write when I'm drunk.
B. M. Reed chapter 6 . 2/1/2014
Uh oh! The bad influence has begun. *evil cackle*

Loki was so cute. "But...but I'll get drunk!"

And Thor is probably thinking, 'Well, duh. That's the POINT.'

Haha...this was amusing indeed!