Reviews for A Soul of Fire
Kamishiro Ryuu chapter 5 . 9/12/2021
"Why do you think I became a priest?"
TorvaMessor chapter 15 . 6/30/2021
This is genuinely awful. It was fine at the beginning but now he’s a raging homo, with some flip flopping morals about casual sex. Dropped. For anyone who is smart enough to read the comments first, skip this fic.
GAchaRage chapter 40 . 6/8/2021
I just read until chapter 7 before I got totally bored with story, so I skip directly to the last chapter and read some reviews to satisfy my curiosity a bit. Glad I don't waste my times on this shit. You maybe think that I'm saying this shit is too much but from those reviews, some that explicitly tell that Shirou is a homo with homura plus the fact you kept homura as male until the end of story is telling enough how terrible this story is for normal straight male. Not to mention how you made Shirou too much of OOC, damn you.

You said that sekirei story is above harem trash? Yeah right, I prefer harem anytime compared to gay trash that you like so much. If you like gay then make a damn smut gay story with warning dammit.
Panjason chapter 34 . 5/19/2021
Honestly, the reread value of this fic is quite low for me, but this Tsukiumi/Homura ship is the main thing I come back for. Really feels like one of those fanfic gems to me.
Upon rereading, the whole fiasco with Shirou fighting Karasuba feels pretty silly and a little pointless, but damn if the Tsukiumi/Homura ship doesn’t feel so fulfilling.
I don’t really reread fanfics often though so I guess something like reread value shouldn’t matter to me.
ansaris chapter 15 . 4/30/2021
Didn't finish the chapter, will stop reading at this point. I'm disgusted at the idea of making Shirou homosexual and the idea that he engaged in such 'casual sex' while having a wife and Rin and Sakura lined up and waiting for him... That's not Shirou anymore. The idea that he also is interested in that direction and discusses it while having dismissed Matsu... Sick. Shirou is a man of responsibility to the women in his life. The lack of relationship tags or warnings is one of the negatives of this website. The author also decided to troll the readers by doing this. Disappointed but I guess that's the point. I was not the target audience to begin with.
ansaris chapter 14 . 4/29/2021
Chapter 14, Shirou's monolog on how casual sex is okay but it's wrong to have sex with your soul bound wife... Nauseating. The morals have been flipped upside down.

An easterner like Shirou would definitely be more receptive to the idea of love starting AFTER marriage and Shirou himself is pragmatic enough to fulfill his duties and make an effort to love.

Love isn't something that grows without effort. That is just lust. Love is about action, not just saying 'I love you'. Maybe the children on this website don't understand this?

For the most part I like what the author has done with the characters but I wish I knew beforehand to skip this chapter.
ansaris chapter 9 . 4/29/2021
The characters in this novel are amazing. I really like what the author has done here. Awesome stuff.
FanFictionman43 chapter 1 . 4/20/2021
Yes some Nero love!
ChiDead chapter 40 . 2/28/2021
Holy, that was a beautiful story. The best sekirei I ever read, and even better than in fight in my opinion. Only wish there is more thou, but all good has to come to an end. Subarashii
Mirrors Cracked And Broken chapter 36 . 1/23/2021
can i just say Setsunastick Code is a fantastic song for this chapter
Ryoji Mochizuki chapter 40 . 1/7/2021
interestyinhbghnm
Ryoji Mochizuki chapter 29 . 1/7/2021
lmao didn't mention #4 - zelretch
LioLion chapter 40 . 12/31/2020
Been meaning to drop a review on this for a while now and decided to finally do so after re-reading it. I'll occasionally be making comparisons to In Flight since you mentioned it was your inspiration. Full disclosure: I am decently-versed in the Type-Moon universe but have not read Sekirei beyond the first few chapters and the wikia pages.

You stated that you wanted to give the Sekirei some dignity, and I think you have accomplished your goal rather admirably. And if giving them a little dignity was all you wanted to do then I'd say a job well done and leave it at that, but if that was your main intention for the fic itself I'd say you didn't exactly pass with flying colors. Don't get me wrong, this is a great fic that integrates the world of Fate with the world of Sekirei extremely well and gives far more depth to the Sekirei than the source material ever did (don't even have to read it to know that), but it doesn't go far enough to give them a real identity. The main reason you did not meet that extra goal is rather obvious, not enough time spent on them. This story spends the majority of its time on the characters of Type-moon, and so too few Sekirei ever get a chance to break out of their cardboard cutouts. I'd say only two characters from Sekirei ever really get a chance to truly break free from their manga counterparts (Homura and Miya) and a few others get some decent development (Matsu, Tsukiumi, Akitsu, Minaka, Takami), but the rest essentially become background extras just like the source material. With such few characters getting a chance to break out of their cages the Sekirei never get a chance to come into their own, merely a chance to become a backdrop for the few characters that did. Some extra time spent on other Sekirei and their Ashikabi, like Uzume and Chiho, Yukari and Kusuno, Higa and his Sekirei, or Seo and his Sekirei, would have really helped the Sekirei gain an identity of their own and make this integrated world feel fuller. As it is this fic's world feels like the Fate universe swallowed up the Sekirei universe without giving it a chance to breathe, which is why this is my main criticism for this fic. My other large criticism with this fic is its inability to give proper resolutions to plotlines it picked up, which feeds a little into my previous criticism as well. Sekirei characters get introduced for them only to become non-entities and barely get any screentime.

With all that said, this is the best Sekirei fic I've read on this site by a rather wide margin, although I haven't read that many so take that with a grain of salt. The things that are done well are done very well indeed. In particular, the integration of the Fate universe with the Sekirei universe is done better in this fic than any other. The Sekirei's inclination toward the magically inclined, the reason for the original ship going down, and other tidbits allow for this crossover world to feel like its own world rather than just two worlds haphazardly mashed together. I may be incorrect in saying this as I don't remember In Flight's plot fully, but I believe that fic merely threw Sekirei on top of Fate without any effort to conjoin the two. The change in backstory for Shirou was also a nice change of pace, and it was great getting little pieces of the puzzle of his origin story throughout the fic. The addition of Blackmore as the main antagonist was very unique and fresh as I rarely ever see him anywhere, source material or otherwise. I particularly liked Miya's part in the story as well, with her reaching her breaking point after losing her husband twice but being denied her revenge in the end only to realize it never actually mattered. All in all, the story came together surprisingly well considering you did not know the ending until you were through with most of it. You certainly managed to pull off some DBZ-level last minute planning, so kudos for that.

What I love the most about this fic is it tried to build something new on top of the source materials. I've said this several times in other reviews but it bears repeating: A good fic takes the original source material(s) to leap off and build on, while a mediocre fic merely wallows in the success of the original(s). That is not to say fics that merely follows the original's path with superficial changes can't be fun to read, but I do not believe such fics will ever aid much in improving one's writing skills and will never measure up to fics that take a chance with their stories by trying to build more on top of what the source offered. And it is why I personally believe this fic is superior to its inspiration. I don't want to disparage In Flight too much as it is a mildly entertaining fic that is decently written, but to be honest I don't quite understand why so many people liked it. All I felt it really did was replace the Sekirei MC with Shirou and did the same thing the manga did, namely never develop the Sekirei as anything more than 2-dimensional harem cutouts, and make everyone and their grandmother's lives revolve around Shirou. This fic strays far from its inspiration and its source material and I have nothing but respect for that. Even with my criticisms I consider this to be one of the best Fate fics out there, with its prequel looking to be on par, if not better than this. Unfortunately for me, it seems like Birth by Fire may be abandoned, but I digress. Anyways, this was a great fic and I enjoyed it immensely.
JustDusty chapter 40 . 12/27/2020
Actually i just realised you did. So ignore all of my comments. Good story
JustDusty chapter 29 . 12/27/2020
forget my previous comment. To be honest i just think you should have mentioned you got your inspiration from that story.
1,407 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »