Reviews for A Talk in the Night
Certh chapter 1 . 4/11
A lovely piece. So simple and sweet - that's what makes it so beautiful.

I do like the portrayal of Estella: she's kind and considerate, a good friend and a good listener. She wants to tell Merry how she feels and yet she's not too bold - that's a very nice depiction of a Hobbit-lass, as far as the romantic strain goes, given the medieval-like setting of Middle-earth.

Merry feels in-character, too. I simply love how considerate and gallant he is, what with his worrying Estella won't make it home before night deepens and insisting to walk her there. And his having a romantic interest before the Quest feels so normal, in this fic it's not that forced thing that writers add to their story just for the sake of originality.

And I like your use of Angelica Baggins. You've taken a character who only appears as a name and a sense of vanity in the book and expanded on that, making her as three-dimensional as a one-shot allows. Nicely done.
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 6/29/2013
This was a good read.

Since we only have a mention of Estella in the books - I'm not sure if she was in 'The Scouring of the Shire' chapter - it is nice to see her with Merry, even before they are married. It's nice to read stories with these two, same for Pippin and Diamond, with Sam and Rosie up third or tied with these two pairings on my list of reading stories with these hobbit couples.

Good work.

-Aria Breuer
Call Brandybuck chapter 1 . 1/16/2013
Aw, poor Merry. That's cute and sweet.
dreamflower02 chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
How very nice to read a Merry/Estella! It's quiet and gentle, and I love that Estella approaches him as a friend and is not too bold in her own feelings. The Shire, after all, is an old-fashioned place. I like your characterization of Estella's compassion, and also how gallant Merry is about walking her home.

I also like you using a minor canon character like Angelica Baggins rather than just making up some hobbit-lass with an unhobbity name!

The only thing that jarred just a little was your use of "hey" and "yeah". That seems a little modern and jolted me a bit. You might try "hullo" and "yes" in the future. But those are very minor nits, and I was easily able to get back into the story in spite of that!

Apart from Sam/Rose, Merry/Estella is my favorite canon hobbit pairing, and I do enjoy seeing everyone else's take on their courtship!
Airmage chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
great! luv it!
Frodo's sister chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
I like this story. Estella did a good job of comforting Merry when he found out that Angelica is marrying some one else. I also liked how you showed that Estella is trying to subtley let Merry know that she is in love with him and that she is not too fast. I hope you continue with this story. It would be great to see their friendship blossom into love and marriage.
Hobbit Freak chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
What a lovely story! More than your typical love-at-first-sight fic. Definitely a thumbs-up I hope there will be more to this.