Reviews for Bah! Humbug
In the world of literature, Mr. Dickens is a mentor to mankind on the keeping of Christmas.(Not just at Christmas, but all through the year).If "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", your homage to " A Christmas Carol", is high praise. But, it is your blending of the original with Lancer, that makes this epiphany of Murdoch, a unique creative endeavor. The repentant Murdoch does change. He does learn to embrace life. he does learn what love and hope and family mean. He does learn that the love of family, extends to the family of man. We learn what he learns. The lesson of the ages.

Special notes:
There are two special Feliz Navidad gifts for this reader.
One. The explanation that Johnny Lancer named Barranca after "the toy he'd wanted as a child". And what it meant. (Still think it would make a further story, to have Johnny, be the one,to explain his reason to Murdoch).
Two. The explanation of the gold medallion. And what it meant. Thank you.
Senora Isabella, says it better than anyone, in her simple, beautiful benediction.
August 09, 2016.
Stave Four
The solemn phantom of "Christmas Yet To Come", could have a second trade in a Halloween tale. There were many clever clues given, as to the identity of this spirit, but, the clues eluded me. When his identity was at last revealed, I, like Murdoch, " understood it all at last" ...It was perfectly executed.
So, too, the double meaning of Murdoch's heart hurting. Very resourceful. Very shrewd.
August 09, 2016
Dr. Sam Jenkins had already admonished Murdock, regarding Christmas, in Stave One. Seemed the right choice, to continue to do so as, "The Ghost Of Christmas Present".
This chapter and characters are very poignantly written. It is the anchor for Murdoch's metamorphosis. Also revealing is the Jelly parable. The use of the grandfather clock, adds to the forbidding atmosphere. And Sam's continued chiding to Murdoch, " You gave them little welcome, gave them little of yourself, explain nothing", exposes Murdoch's heartlessness.
Side note:
Welcome explanation for the meaning of Barranca's name. What were Johnny's reasons for naming his horse, Barranca? Unless this has already been posted in another story, might, now, Johnny explain his reasons to Murdoch, via a new story?
August 09, 2016.
While still grinning from the cheeky "copyright " reference, from chapter 1, settled in for the promised: "you will be haunted by three spirits".
Low and behold, the spirit of Christmas past, is none other than,"The Little Darling Of The Sierras, Penny Rose". Thought Paul said "haunted", not tortured. This is becoming more of a Halloween Tale.
Oh, ok, "while this spirit might look like Penny Rose. It wasn't her". She was just suppose to be the spirit guide torturing Murdoch with past Christmases.
Scrooge had his reasons for extinguishing the light. So. too, did Murdoch. Cheeky.
August 8, 2016.
Drawn by your title, like a lightening rod in a storm. Your adaptation, drew one in with your electrifying wit, and biting British sarcasm.
Laughing, right at the get go, with, "wrong book". But, with the "reboot", was mystified that Murdoch was to be your Scrooge. (Harlan Garett, our favorite accountant, maybe, but Murdoch?) But further reading justified the choice. Murdoch needed to be reminded that his life had changed. He was no longer "a dead man walking". And he needed to change.
The door-nail vs the "coffin - nail piece of iron monger in the trade" really cracked me up! Better analogy to get the point across, when you think about it.
Paul, pitch hitting, for Marley. Another chuckle.
August 7, 2016.
Guest chapter 5 . 2/8/2014
Just an FYI: I live in Southeast Texas and am familiar with the type of Mexican Spanish that Johnny Madrid would have used. Mi hijo is contracted in Mexican Spanish to "mijo", not m'hijo. Also, it's "young hacendado", not haciendado. Tio mio sounds awkward in Mexican Spanish. The more common verbage would be mi tio or mi tia (my uncle, my aunt). Otherwise, everything sounds great!
Cruelest Sea chapter 5 . 1/5/2013
Beautifully done! I love Dickens and you did an amazing job combining A Christmas Carol and Lancer. Loved it. (:
Pacifica Grove chapter 5 . 1/1/2013
A truly inspiring story from one of our best Lancer writers.
It'll be enjoyed for years to come as a Lancer Christmas story classic.
cindy chapter 5 . 12/26/2012
really enjoyed how you wove the Lancers through the traditional christmas story. I always thought the show writers failed to explore what it would take to draw these strangers together as one loving family. Fortunately, fanfiction writers do a great job of building the familial bond between the characters. Than k you for a lovely story.
R. Kent chapter 5 . 12/24/2012
Thank you for this lovely story. I think Mr. Dickens would be proud. I enjoyed this so much. Thank you for staying true to the characters that we love. I can really believe that Murdoch, Scott, Johnny and Teresa would react just as you have portrayed them. I would love to see an adventure across the sea as Murdoch introduces his sons to the Scottish side of the family.
Excellent way to further enhance my Christmas holiday and fanfiction reading.
Thank you!
R. Kent
Cadillac Red chapter 5 . 12/23/2012
A great ending - totally in keeping with Dickens and with the Lancer characters. This will be on my "re-read" list every Christmas! Thank you for writing and sharing it.
sherry57 chapter 5 . 12/23/2012
I cannot tell you how much I loved this story and in particular this wonderful last, happy chapter. Thanks, to you and Charles Dickens, for this perfect Christmas story. The original so perfectly shaped by you for the Lancers!
All wishes to you for a wonderful, peaceful and joyous Christmas and a New Year 2013 filled with all that will bring you happiness and good health. Looking forward to reading many more of your stories in 2013.
sherry57 chapter 4 . 12/23/2012
Murdoch dead, the family split up again...I hope Murdoch is learning a good lesson here from the ghost of Christmas future!
Guest chapter 4 . 12/22/2012
Very good, I am loving your adaption of this Dickens tale.
R. Kent chapter 3 . 12/22/2012
I love your choices for the Spirits. Penny Rose was a hoot! And Dr. Sam Jenkins! Now in the words of Ebeneezer
Scrooge " Spirit of the future; I fear you more than any other spirit..."
I'm having a blast reading this and look forward to the next chapter.
R. Kent