Reviews for Running in the Dark
tanseynz chapter 4 . 8/12/2015
Oh Spock! Suicide, like revenge, is illogical, as it won't bring back those who are lost.
LittleMissAbigail chapter 4 . 10/11/2013
I can't believe you left it there. *pouts* Now I have to go watch the movie. Though, I was planning to do that after work tomorrow anyway... The scene in this chapter had some of the best one-liners. Especially by McCoy and Spock.
LittleMissAbigail chapter 3 . 10/11/2013
I know what happens. I've seen this movie half a dozen times. Does that fact keep me from sitting on eggshells? No. No, it does not. *bites at fingernails*
LittleMissAbigail chapter 2 . 10/11/2013
Cowboy McCoy!
LittleMissAbigail chapter 1 . 10/11/2013
*does a little dance* Finally caught up to "current" times! I know I found this series because I was looking for Nyota and Spock's tale but I'd actually wondered about this mission as well! Very convenient, I must say. ;)
Mia Vaan chapter 4 . 7/20/2013
I really liked this story. It gives us believable background information behind this mission (and I did wonder why and how they hid the Enterprise underwater XD).

Great job!
wotumba1 chapter 4 . 6/13/2013
great story! fitting very nicely into the movie!

and i will check out your other stories!
emsaduem chapter 4 . 6/10/2013
Thank you, for more Star Trek!
Bigbadbandicoot chapter 4 . 6/7/2013
Great emotion here from Uhura and Kirk! Really brought me into the moment and captured what the film couldn't. Fantastic job. :)
Cello06 chapter 4 . 5/27/2013
great story!
bookdragon01 chapter 4 . 5/26/2013
You did this prequel from a trailer so well, I'd almost suspect you of having a sneak peak at the script!
Wahoogal06 chapter 4 . 5/23/2013
Hi there! I just saw the movie for the second time and have just finished all 4 chapters of your latest work. I'm loving it! While I enjoyed the opening in the movie you imbue it with so much more urgency that I'm literally sitting on the edge of my seat reading this. I also love seeing the different POV's (you write each character so well) and gaining that deeper insight into their thought processes as the situation unfolds. You've done another amazing job and I can't wait to see more updates in my in-box! Thank you for sharing!
rosalind.byrne chapter 4 . 5/21/2013
I love your writing! Thanks so much. Always enjoyable and well written.
lapin chapter 4 . 5/20/2013
thanks for your detail to the movie preview. it's the little things you add, the details to the characters thoughts that help the reader connect with the story. spocks thoughts about death, his suicide missions, almost welcoming death, seeking it out because of his immense guilt is heart breaking. i think, how does nyota feel, clearly she sees how he feels.
i've not seen the movie yet. i have however practically spoiled myself with spoilers and have i think pieced most of the movie together.
i have to say that i do enjoy reading the detail you write even though its already been seen on screen only because you add a little extra. the inner monologue of the characters for instance. we get a little more feel for the character and the mood of the situation. it's like looking at a painting up close.
thanks for the update. i look forward to reading more and certainly hope to see the movie myself.
Flink88 chapter 4 . 5/20/2013
It's always a pleasure to see a new chapter from you. Glad to see you drawing inspiration from the new film. I really liked this.

I found the second part was much better, though. The reason's pretty straightforward. You are at your best when you are being original - much like the new film, I'd argue. The first part is an almost straight retelling of a few early scenes. The dialogue is lifted straight from the film and the rest are straight descriptions. But, there are moments in the first part that make up for this, that really sing. You are a master of internal dialogue:

"And he's watched—not without a stab of jealousy—as she's bestowed such a look of understanding and forgiveness and acceptance on Spock when she thinks no one sees—such a look of ineffable longing and love that Kirk still can't get his head around it, not completely—"

This was truly wonderful. I'll bet that most, if not all, people reading this have seen the film by now. I don't think you need to rehash a scene so thoroughly as you do in the first part. I actually found myself skim-reading some sentences. Set the scene briefly, then trust that your readers already know what's happening. Spend more time in unexpected places/thoughts and it will add much more richness to the piece.

I'm not really telling you anything you don't already know. You did all of this in the second part. Perhaps it's because there's not so much dialogue to fall back on. It's just Spock in a volcano. There's nowhere for you to hide as a writer. You were forced to try something different there. Whatever the reason, it was powerful stuff.

I agree Spock did have a death wish in that scene. What blew my mind was Spock's conscious decision to purposefully punish Kirk for thwarting his suicide attempt - not that Spock would be able to see it that way, of course. After I saw the film I thought Spock was just following the rules blindly, not stopping to examine all of the consequences of filing a report. Or, that Kirk might lie. But, I find your interpretation much more interesting. His behaviour's also kind of terrifying. It certainly puts Uhura's later attitude and behaviour towards him in context.