Reviews for Child Endangerment
Crazy 109 chapter 1 . 1/24
I really enjoyed this rant-fic. ] There are several characters in the HP universe that need lecturing with liberal use of a clue-by-four, and Professor Snape's nowhere near the worst-he's only the obvious target for everybody.

Hmm...no reviewer seems to have mentioned the power of the human mind, in regards to the boggart's ability to mock powers like the basilisk's stare. If the children had *believed,* utterly, that the boggart-basilisk's stare would kill them-they'd quite probably have *died,* just from their belief. Maybe not all of them, though seeing one classmate die could very well trigger more by reinforcing their belief; but even one dead child would have been too many, and obviously, Lupin hadn't spared even a moment's thought towards any possible danger to them (which seems a very Marauder attitude, unfortunately-Unintended consequences? What're those?). And the dangers of Professor Snape losing control of the little blighters in his classroom-yeah, I'd say he had a *definite* point there-even if canon wizards are portrayed as not seeming to feel any actual pain unless it's from something like a Crucio...
A ShrinkinG VIOLET GIrL chapter 1 . 1/22
A good bashing story..severus has a good point..
TaleWeaver chapter 1 . 10/23/2013
You (and Snape) make some VERY good points, here. For quite some time now, I've thought that the reason (well, one of them) that Snape terrifies all his classes is because he teaches nearly the only class where an accident CAN'T be undone with a flick of a wand, in a world that doesn't seem to have any sort of ingrained safety regulations or even practise most common-sense OH&S rules.
To be honest, it's only been since the books finished that I truly came to understand how dangerous the insta-fix and subsequent lack of consequences in the wizard world are. Add in rich families and snobby parents who don't bother to actually punish their children, as long as they don't make the family look bad... Bellatrix was out-and-out psychotic, but to be honest? I'm pretty sure that Sirius was downright sociopathic. I keep wishing someone had straight-out asked Sirius if it ever once occurred to him, while planning his little 'prank' on Severus back in the day, (or even once in the fifteen-odd years since) that if anything went wrong Remus wouldn't have lived to see the dawn? Given the attitudes towards werewolves in the wizard world, I'm almost certain that Severus getting so much as a scratch, no matter how unimportant his family was, would have resulted in Remus' immediate execution, and very probably Dumbledore's immediate sacking.
PhiGirl chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
Somehow I think that boggarts turn into what you believe your greatest fear to be, not what it really is. I mean, banshees, snakes, mummies, a disembodied hand? And everyone consciously knows what their greatest fear is? That's just absurd.

Lupin (or Rowling) really didn't think that lesson through. What if someone feared an abusive parent, being raped or something along that line? Or just doesn't want to expose his/her greatest fear to the whole class?
I don't believe the boggart can be an actual physical danger. Could be, though, and if one accepts that then the basilisk scenario is both realistic and terrifying.

Since, as Snarky64 pointed out, boggarts seem to be common in the wizarding world and it is therefore important to know how to fight them, the better way to teach that would probably be without everyone else watching.
BarbaraKaterina chapter 1 . 8/6/2013
Hmm. You know, the boggart incident is actually probably the only thing where I don't agree with most SSHG authors and am on Remus' side (Severus really did behave abominably towards Neville at the beginning of that class, embarrassing him in front of a new teacher for no reason), but you are right that using the boggart was extremely risky. Though personally I'm more inclined to think that the whole "takes on properties of the feared object" is crap, that it just takes on the form, and that JKR simply didn't think it through (if I wanted to defend her, I could perhaps say that Harry was simply so freaked out by the dementors that outwards appearance was enough; but I'm afraid there are too many descriptions of what the boggart-dementor did to him for this idea to hold).

As for Neville being most afraid of Severus, I thin the only viable explanation is that he sort of projected his fears of the Lestranges to him, since he was the only Death Eater Neville had around...

It's sort of scary, really, when one thinks the years at Hogwarts through, in how many ways they could all have died...
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 8/2/2013
I utterly agree with this story. The class with Ginny in it could have been charmed by a look at Tom Riddle, while any class with this arrangement could have been horrified at some student's Exotic Childhood.

Plus, Longbottom might have been terrified by Minerva-she was at least as nasty to him as Snape was, but of course it was *good* because she's a Gryffindor.

And Snape is quite right. Even trying to eat a couple of students wasn't really enough. The Trio, of course, object to being protected from a werewolf, because he's such a nice guy!

Oh, and let's not forget that Remus let Sirius Black wander around Hogwarts without doing anything to stop him *before* he knew his friend wasn't a mass murderer.
Dearlady2002 chapter 1 . 3/7/2013
I'd never thought of the basilisk connection to the boggarts before, good job!
Snarky64 chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
I wanted to like this but the logic and arguments for your "consequences" seem to fail for me.

A boggart Basilisk will not possess the lethal stare of the real Basilisk, no more than a boggart Dementor can suck out a soul or a boggart Voldemort would have Voldemort's magic or his skill.

Lupin did ask Neville what he was most scared of. He didn't plant the idea or assume anything, so that part of the story isn't correct.

Now the premise itself is odd: is your Snape advocating that children not be taught to face and defeat boggarts which appear to be common in the magical world? Who does he suggest does this then, if not at a school of witchcraft and wizardry?

Is it his theory that 'Riddikulus' should not be taught in class, even though it is clearly preferable that a teacher be present to distract the boggart if it's too much for a child? Has he become like Umbridge in advocating just theory be taught just because he has been embarrassed by a child's boggart? (He is the author of his own misfortune in this.)

And finally, more on a point of balance, Snape is extremely disrespectful himself so his demanding respect from others is rather hypocritical. His behaviour towards his students is often lamentable. And, since he never gives Lupin respect in front of students or teachers, he has no business demanding it from him. However, his blinkered PoV is quite in character for him, I think.

For the story itself, you have good characterisation of Snape but I did feel that the attempt at foreshadowing at the end was a little forced.
plexi24 chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
love it :-)
Mother of Tears chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Oh, this little story made my day. Stupidity as a chronic disease... The world is suffering a pandemic!

Out of all the writers who have tackled this particular subject, you are the only one who has envisioned a scenario wherein a bogart basilisk might off an entire class. Brilliant!
Guest chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
How right Severus is. Thank you for a poignant story.
Her Royal Goddess chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
I really enjoyed this one shot...It's about time Severus got retribution Xx
Snape's Witch chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Oh how I love this! That boggart lesson was a disaster waiting to happen, and we needn't go into how Lupin treated Snape throughout the book, do we?
Judith Shakespeare chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
This is great, and the concerns raised are so true... thanks for writing this!
Dra9onf7yz chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
Awesome story, I was linked here by Loten. And I have to say it was a great read! Severus' put down are always the best. Keep up the good work!