Reviews for If We Fall Anew
RavenLady chapter 4 . 6/11/2005
I was wary of the pairing, and this is certainly a strange relationship, but you make it utterly convincing. I'm close to tears, honestly.

Maedhros, jealous of Maglor? I never thought of that, and now I'm wondering why. It does make sense. I love the description of Feanor's writing:

"bold, fiery and proud, incredibly elegant and beautiful and precise. There was not a single crossing out in the whole book"

Well, of course not. It's Feanor.

Okay, I'm giving up on coherency . . . I put this aside for a few days, trying to think of what to say, but I'm still speechless and awestruck.
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 4 . 8/3/2002
Fascinating! I really enjoyed this.
Aerlinnel chapter 4 . 8/1/2002
Curse you, Chat, I'm running out of synonyms for "beautiful" to describe your stories :-P

I would love to see you write the scene when Maglor tells Elrond that he is leaving to find the Silmarils with Maedhros...
Deborah Judge chapter 4 . 7/30/2002
So, is it a happy ending? Well, they had many years together, and raised a child together, which usually counts as a happy ending for a romance in human terms. But how sad that despite everything it was still those stupid Silmarils that got Maglor in the end. I guess that moment of realising that his song didn't convince him didn't last. And, did Elrond ever see him again? Maybe this accounts for why he was more than an age old before he got married. Still, it's terrible to think that Elrond made his choice out of grief, and for someone who was lost to him.

A beautiful, powerful, haunting, thought-provoking story. Applause, and much gratitude.
Deborah Judge chapter 3 . 7/30/2002
I don't think I can describe how beautiful and breathtaking this chapter is. You convincingly show Elrond in a number of very complex emotional states, and moving between them. Love and hate and desire and jealously and wanting to hurt are all mixed together, but in the end it is love that wins out, at least for the moment. The last scene where Maglor sings and then realizes he isn't convinced by his own song is wonderful, as are Elrond's thoughts about 'this will be my revenge'.
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 7/30/2002
I can't tell you how grateful I am for this story. In canon or not (and it doesn't seem so AU to me) it makes a great deal of emotional sense. I never cease to be impressed by the insight you have into human (or Elven) relationships.

In this chapter Elros's hunger is so sad, and the way Elrond is torn between revenge and feeding his brother. And that last moment, when he would go to Maglor for warmth if it weren't who he was. Which is what this story is about, it seems - not so much about if love can oversome hate, but if need can overcome hate in a way that leaves room for love.

I'm so glad you finally posted this!
Finch chapter 4 . 7/30/2002
Never mind the AU element. It's difficult enough to describe convincingly how Elrond may have come to accept Maglor, like him, love him as a father. Taking their relationship this far and still managing to remain credible, that's just brilliant!
Maeve Riannon chapter 2 . 7/30/2002
Only one thing: the story has gone inmediately to my favourites list (to be among other stories of yours)