Reviews for Ivresse
Nerdanel chapter 1 . 7/14/2004
I am so glad I decided finally to read through this. It was well worth it. Such a beautiful, poignant, disturbing story. The best and most complete portrait of Curufin that I have even read. The end was a particular highlight, and I found myself litererally gaping at the horror and beauty of it all.

The only thing that I found slightly awkward was the dialogue, but then again, it's simplicity was brilliant in its own right.

This one is going on my favorites.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 2/19/2004
I greatly admire your ability to get inside Curufin's dark mind, without ignoring the horror of it but stil showing him as a believable character with thoughts and motives and (however much he tries to deny it) emotions, of
jealousy and inadequacy . . . but he tries to escape those. Scary and tragic . . . you're the first who has made me really think about and even sympathize with Curufin. Sheer brilliance.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 8/1/2002
It's interesting to consider what would really happen if a person were subjected to the circumstances of a fiction. The most poignant moment, I thought, was the bare, sterile room, in which outward orderliness is not a refuge but a symbol of a sterile mind.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
Isn't it ironic that the son whom Feanor favored above all the others feels that he is never more than second best at anything? Even the skill that gives him his name, while far greater than that of his brothers, is less than that of his father, to whom he naturally compares himself. No wonder he is such an emotional mess - he never had a chance to define himself as his own person, apart from the demands his father placed upon him.
Mouse chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
Incredible. Positively incredible. I'm actually dazed. I was near to tears at least twice. And I can say no more, other than that you've made Curufin so horribly yet beautifully *real* to me that he is now my favourite Fëanorian.
Finch chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
The story of the boy who was supposed to be like his father - but no one asked his opinion. This scary case study of a severe personality disorder with help of a Silmarillion character bursts the bonds of fanfiction.

Somehow, it transcends the question whether the picture of Curufin or any other character in the story, for that matter, is true to canon. It could be, but that is not the main issue here.

If you can only cope by seeing it all as a game, a cause for laughing disdainfully or smiling 'knowingly', you will either kill yourself once that defence breaks down, or others - or both, as Curufin does here, even though he uses Dior's hand to commit suicide.
Soledad chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
Curufin has always ben an enigma for me, though I tried to understand him better, since he is Celebrimbor's father, after all. You made him a real person for me, though not one I'd like to know personally. But it's not his fault, really. With a father like Fëanor, who simply integrated him into his own work, it's no wonder he turned out so scary.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
Congratulations! I can tell you that your Curufin is the best Ive seen by far. I see that hard work bears fruits...

The greatest merit of the story, at least for me, is the way you show that Curufin, while he thinks himself incapable of feeling anything, is nearly choked inside by his feelings: the love of his father, or rather the hate, because he thought himself unloved, the jealousy of Beren... Also scaring is the passage where he sees himself when he looks at his son (perhaps he should see his own father too?)
naltariel chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
poor Curufin. I think I pity him most of all, because I dont even

think he is evil. He is not. He is scarier than evil, he is dead.

Dead because he hardly feels anything, and never empathize. His life

is just gray, sometimes darker gray, sometimes lighter gray, but

never red or blue, or any other colours. He only know game. Life is

just a game to ease his boredom. How terrifying is this kind of life!

Just like a scientist who test his dangerous experiment on human

beings out of mere curiosity. It seems that there is only person who

can affect your Curufin, FEanaro of course. I wonder if Feanor was

indeed the cause of his son's antisocial personality.

The more I read the fics, the more I sympathize with the sons of

Feanor. Kinslayers they might be, but all of them suffer more than

their victim.

*faints* If I can only write half as good as you, I would have probably be the next John Grisham.

By the way about the sequel for Maedhros, he has been begging me to write about him, but I am afraid you will not legally allowed to read it if I write it. *sly wink*
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
This is a very powerful piece. Curufin seems barely alive, or barely aware

that he is alive.

(oh, I never actually thought it would be a romance. that was just

my wishful thinking. Or maybe Curufin's. That moment where

he feels alive loving his child-bride is quite tragic, because he

doesn't know how to value it.)

He values his life so little that it doesn't occur to him that others

might value theirs. You write him with compassion, but not

holding back from how dark and disturbed he really is. And then

at the end it becomes perfectly clear why - if he let himself feel

anything, it would be his terrible and conflicted feelings towards

his father, who also is him.

What a terrible thing to give your child your own name! And then

to say that it's because he's 'really' the most like you! What

chance did Curufin ever have?