Reviews for The Power of the Press
Brilliant Work
Radiant Arabian Nights chapter 1 . 11/7/2022
Great Work
Guest chapter 9 . 10/20/2022
Poor Mrs Norris. From o a tempered kitty to feral forest cat. That was not nice of you at all.
blcoachmac chapter 3 . 10/21/2022
Enjoying this story! I wonder if there are more stories similar to this one?
CarolsSister chapter 1 . 9/28/2022
Jeez, Dumbles thinking that Fawkes would have some affection for him after being portioned shows he never learned by example. By that I mean Merope Gaunt thinking Tom Riddle Senior would love her after she stopped the love potions.
RFDN chapter 2 . 9/19/2022
I have read this story multiple times and it is good. The focus of the story is on the romance while using letters and dairy entries to flush out the majority of the world and stories' events.

The magic system does annoy me though. There is the common issue of Magic being sentient which should mean magic is God which let's people control it. Good stories have work around for this like having only intelligence appear in enchanted items designed to have that function or worse but still valid using divine beings who control aspects of reality.

The issue with this stories' magic system that is unique to it is the focus rings and how they are in all ways better than wands. This just creates issues in the question of why do people even use wands. Now mentions are made of a lack of wood in the area and a banning of blood foci in Britain which is all find and dandy, but why isn't the rest of the world using this? We don't incantations, wand movements or even the ability to disarmed without significant effort. Any military force in the wizarding world would kill to have that advantage let alone without any downsides. If it was a secret or a restricted to military use item then it could make sense but all civilians in the region have one. Sirius and Remus both were able to gain them in less than a month of "moving" into the area. This Implies that at the minimum anyone planning a prolong stay can gain them with ease without harming the supply of the material. If supply of the wood was the limiting factor then other countries would have just started growing their own supply.

Aside from the geopolitical issues of these rings existing they also do not have any form of mechanism to train others for usage. Everything regarding them is will power which would be the exact same thing as controlled accidental magic being converted into controlled wandless magic. That is valid but with what was seen in the books especially when silent casting into prominence the reason to even learn and use incantations was to speed up the process of learning how to use wide varieties of magic effects. In theory a downside should be that the rings are stupidly difficult for anyone to use without having prior training of some sort to teach what effects can be creates and how it is they must manipulate the energy to get the result. It also doesn't help that the rings and wands of the cast do not match one another meaning they should be needing to basically relearn from scratch how to get each effect. We see in book 7 which I believe was released before this story that characters have issues and need to take time to adjust to casting with different wands. We don't see that here.

This isn't to bash on the story just bring up the topic that does annoy me when rereading this fanfiction. It is annoying here only because almost everything else is properly grounded. A real attempt was made to properly ground and explain how things work in this story. Just having Harry having to have everyone needing to mutter spell names initially could have solved a lot of this. A line about how the foci required you to relearn spells, because of what is best equated to having two different prescriptions of glasses one for reading the other for driving, would have made sense. I believe in later chapters you mentioned the rings were less efficient at focusing energy to get similar results but I would need to finish rereading which will take at minimum another hour and I would likely forget about this comment.
Guest chapter 9 . 9/9/2022
I remember reading this several years ago and really enjoying it, and I could have sworn that I bookmarked it so I could come back for a reread, but I haven't been able to find it since. Needless to say, it's saved now and I will be coming back to it in the future!

I love stories where Harry puts his foot down and says no to the stupid TriWiz, and then goes and does smart things instead of towing Dumbledore's line. Bonus points for Sirius and Remus being (mostly) responsible adults and helping him out!

My favorite part is definitely Harry taking the Hit Wizard exam. I was cackling by the end of it. The poster of the mooning Marauders is a close second, followed by all the practical jokes and prank wars sprinkled throughout the fic. I love all of the humor, and that it never quite veers into crack (although I've read Saying No, and will admit you guys also do crack scarily well).

Alyx, if you still read these comments, I hope you know that Bob's writing (and yours; my god, some of those ANs had me in stitches) continues to bring joy to people's lives even now. Finding this story again has been one of the highlights of my not-so-fun week. So, thank you both for sharing them with us; and Bob, you are missed.
Veronica McClure chapter 5 . 9/10/2022
Why does s "appreciate" have three *P's" and no "i"?
Jen chapter 6 . 8/31/2022
I’m a mother of adults, and I honestly don’t understand why some people obsess about their children’s sex lives. I made sure mine had excellent sex education, and when they were each around seventeen I made sure they would always have access to contraceptives. Beyond that I’d rather not think about it. So I don’t understand Dan Granger’s anger here at all. I do know of people who are obsessive about their daughters’ virginity, but they’re all evangelical Christian Americans.

Having said all that, I don’t need every fictional character to hold the same beliefs as me and I appreciate that your characters are well drawn and complex. I’ve been so deeply engrossed in this story that I’ve gotten a backache from not moving for several hours.
jaqmaq77 chapter 9 . 8/20/2022
Loved the story, with the exception of the absolutely pointless 'Quibbler' bits... after the first two I skipped them. Thanks for the warnings... I hate to say, but I also skipped the notes, and the chapter intro notes... the one or two I glanced at gave me such a headache... I was envious of the people who only got a Crucio... my eyes were starting to bleed... then the brilliant story brought me back...
jaqmaq77 chapter 5 . 8/19/2022
Nagini was in Motherwell and 60 miles from Hogwarts? Hogwarts is in or around Oban? No wonder I couldn't find it... I was looking around the North west Highlands... Ullapool way! Northwest of Inverness, in the wilds of Scotland.
Never understood J.K. reasoning... 7 hour steam train trip from London, even Non-stop - average speed of 50 mph... is 30 miles South of Glasgow... at 60 its 30 miles North of Glasgow. If I'm right, then London to Ullapool is 600 miles... 90mph for 7 hours.
London to Inverness is 567 miles...
The Train stops for the Dementors... at 90mph, in an emergency, the stopping distance is near three quarters of a mile... (It's a metal wheel on a metal rail... so imagine how far it goes in the rain - scary... very scary thought...) (No Rain? Scotland? Naw - you're having a joke... I'm 70... I remember seeing a bright yellow ball in the sky once - when I was a kid... it was scary...)
beth626 chapter 9 . 8/12/2022
Another amazing story !
Talon of 7 chapter 9 . 7/31/2022
You probably got this comment already but something has been sprling in my mind since the last chapter. With how bad you made Dumbledore it wouldn’t surprise me that he confounded any One in the department of mysteries to study the horcruxes. So he could destroy them all together.
769 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »