Reviews for Strident Night
BloodLily16 chapter 1 . 6/1/2013

Nothing else needs to be said.
BookQ36 chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
Malcolm as Lieutenant tight-pants. Awfully nice!
MissBe chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
Great story. There's definitely a shortage of Malcolm stories out there :\... thanks!
Zero Credibility chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
Oh my God, that was painful and hilarious and heartwarming, all at the same time. I could absolutely see the reserved Brit refusing to be coaxed out of his shell. His alter ego was remorselessly insightful, but I'm sure it was his sister's influence that was the deciding factor. I know hardly anything at all about Maddie, but I have the feeling I'd like her. I wonder who the mystery gift came from. Maybe it was just by chance, but it seems to me that choice of gift shows an unusual degree of understanding of his character, of things that he would have revealed to very few people. Maybe the materials and workmanship came from Engineering but the choice, I think, probably came from a certain linguist who watches and notices and puzzles things out. I can't help trying to fit these wonderful short stories into a consistent 'verse and I guess this was some time before the tango, so I wonder what part this episode played in the decision to go ahead with that. Anyway, he's lucky to have such friends and I'm glad that he appreciated that.

I appreciated the brief nod towards the possessive Vulcan, too. :)

"Or at least a dimmer switch." Hilarious!
VesperRegina chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
Lovely! I adore the internal dialogue, the way it's alternately his own voice arguing against him, and then Maddie's. I like how having her voice there with him demonstrates a closeness between them. The "seasonally-minded assassin" line was exceedingly well-turned and very funny, as is the very last line.
tahmtahm chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Wonderful story! I can just see Malcolm pitching a fit about attending a party. Loved his thoughts back to his childhood and singing at Saint Matthew's Church. Absolutely heart-warming!
Frumious-Bandersnatch-46 chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Ah! Yet another attempt to drag the EXTREMELY reluctant Mr Reed into he rest of humanity. Without that few unknown-to-him friends on board and Maddie supplying an "inner voice", Mr Reed would be as stiff as the Tin Man without his oil can.

Well done!
I look forward to the next one.
Belen09 chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Oh, that was very nice! Brings back memories of church services, and despite Malcolm's family - the awe and joy that one felt at Christmas . . . and the knowledge that 'slightly uncomfortable' parties were 'in store' at work . . .
Begoogled chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Wat a wonderful sweet and inspiring Christmas story! I loved Malcolm's dream, and I put on some appropriate music while reading. And I'm glad he had the courage to come to the party. I'm not a party animal myself, so I understand his reluctance. :) Thank you for sharing!