Reviews for Schüttelfrost
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 7/13
This is a LONG overdue In the Spotlight review. What a beautifully vivid POV story —the winter scene is painted with such precision and care that I was getting cold! One thing I love about this series of stories is the perspective on the war AND on the denizens of Stalag 13 from someone who isn’t a party to their insanity. I particularly enjoyed Keilwasser’s musings on his LAST Kubelwagen breakdown, his Prussian CO, and the arrival on the scene of Schultz, Hogan and a work party. The face off with the bird gave rise to some great humor, including his thoughts on whether this particular avian suffered from season-illiteracy. All in all, a merry romp!
Tuttle4077 chapter 1 . 3/15/2021
Oh dear. Keilwasser's misadventures continue.

I wonder what Hogan had to do to get the birds on his side, lol.
booey875 chapter 1 . 8/14/2020
What a delightful story to find and read for the Reviewathon!

You capture the perspective of this German and his situation perfectly. I can picture this scene easily thanks to your equal parts "showing" and "telling". I can identify the Unsung Heroes with your descriptions without using their names rather easily - "a dark featured American officer with a relaxed manner","one Englander and a Frenchman" and "gawky looking little American".

In my mind, at least, I have this Leutnant Keilwasser played by one of their frequently used character actors such as Noam Pitlik or Dave Morick.
mrspencil chapter 1 . 8/31/2019
This is a great follow up to the poor man’s previous encounter. Brightened my day:-)
TranceTony1228 chapter 1 . 4/26/2016
Season-illiterate vile avian! ROFL
That bird is awesome! ;)
Poor Keilwasser. Poor little kubelwagon! (Had to google it. Oh yeah, those cute little jeep-things! Doesn't look very warm) :(
Loved it! Thanks for writing it!
Gunney chapter 1 . 8/21/2015
Poor Leutnant, forever losing code books...These are charming!
Tiny1217 chapter 1 . 4/19/2015
Very funny and well written. I particularly love the following lines:

"The bird...dove at my head like a miniature Messerschmidt."
"...blisters, splinters, and blisters with splinters in them..."
"I'll be a nice Kraut-sicle for them."
"I forgot my gloves this morning because my CO was chasing me with automatic weapons."

Great job coming up with a unique way to weave Hogan's Heroes into a unique story.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 6/3/2013
I enjoyed the first story with our hapless Leutnant Keilwasser, so I was delighted to see more of him here. Of course this time he’s stuck in winter and out of petrol! Makes his last misadventure look comfortable by comparison! The Battle of the Bird was very funny, and I especially laughed at the comparison with the Messerschmidt. “My mood had the same elevation as the Netherlands by this time” was another great line. I was glad that he was rescued, and even gladder that he didn’t recognize that familiar rescuer. A very funny story!
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
I am so happy to see a sequel featuring this German and our favorite Kugelwagon. This poor man. Lol. Hope to see more of him.
Belphegor chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
Poor, poor Leutnant Kielwasser... I never thought I'd find myself commiserating so heartily with a German lieutenant, but his plight is too hilariou-I mean, I sympathise :D From the miserable weather through his feud with the bird (not too fond of the little buggers myself) to the kübelwagen being out of petrol... The final straw was his macabre musings about Kraut-sicles and being glad he avoided the Russian front. Good think the cavalry arrived when it did :o)

I love the hapless Kielwasser's niggling thought that Carter reminds him of someone, "something to do with moustaches". Your narrative voice is priceless from start to finish. Boy, he's going to wonder where the code books have gone by the time he's thawed out :P
konarciq chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Oh, this was a really nice little story. Loved how "they" had chosen to deviate from their usual road and just "happened" upon the poor lieutenant and his forgotten codebooks ;-)

Poor guy. First stuck in the snow, and then when he finally manages to free the car, he discovers he's out of petrol!

Wonder what kind of strange bird that was by the way, to be nesting in december... :-p
Six of Twelve chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Nice, heart-warming story.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
I'm so glad to see the hapless Max again, with the Kübelwagen from hell! It's just one thing after another with this poor guy, but you have to admit he's lucky in one respect...that cranky Prussian CO of his hasn't sent him to the Russian front. Yet.
Hildegaarde chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
I really enjoyed this little snippet, even before I went and read the prequel. Of course, on the second time through it's even funnier! The battle with the bird was just great!
And Schultz's comment about finding the Leutnant by chance made me laugh- I'm sure Hogan and co were the sole 'chance' about it.