Reviews for Just Like Old Times
the lola chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
this was sweet - you're great at characterisation no matter who the characters, so you did really well here. Poppy being scared was really well handled, and I just liked the simplicity of this pairing. I also liked all the extra details you put in, like Poppys hospital scent. Lovely!
WeasleySeeker chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
Interesting pairing - I've never read or even considered it before, but you manage to sell it well here, although I don't know if I quite ship them yet.

I like how it's been so long since the "incident" so a tiny bit of the awkwardness remains, and they aren't sure whether they're still friends or more or less than that...

I'm so glad they got together in the end, and Poppy's husband dying was a juicy tragic detail to add.

Favourite line: "Don't torture yourself into thinking it's more than it is." That's such a relatable feeling, and I think you convey it brilliantly.
lowi chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
Awww, such a nice ending. I'm really happy for them, and that it ended this way. I also liked your characterisation of both of them, they seemed really original to me.

Such a cute story!

Great work! I've enjoyed reading your stories so much, you're a great writer!
keeptheotherone chapter 1 . 3/2/2013
Great detail, adding a hospital scent to Poppy's description, and Rolanda's uncertainty and fear she is reading into the situation is very realistic.
Lunaticflower chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
So cute! Very well written too.
Schermionie chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Awww! I'm so glad they got their happy ending (or beginning, really). :)

I like how this starts with a letter - there's something attention-grabbing about it. The summary of this story really grabbed my attention as well: not only is this a rarepair, which I tend to go for, but the quote is very mysterious. I have to say I like the quote just as much now that I've read the story behind it. I've experienced a lot of drifting in relationships, and it's always saddest when those are close ones; on the rare occasions when I've managed to reconnect with people years later, it's been special. You show this well with your central concept of 'Just like old times', how they reminisce about their former friendship, and how comfortable they are with one another: 'They sat in a silence that was of the comfortable kind of two people who know each other a long time.'

I also like the awkwardness with the Christmas present - it's an obvious tradition to buy gifts for people you're close to, but if you aren't, do you or don't you? It shows us both more about Rolanda and Poppy, and also how things became distant and confused for them; juxtaposing it with the talk of gifts they'd given each other in the past does this as well. I adore that story, too, for a number of reasons. The fact that the same thought came to them independently means that they have - or at least, had - similarities; that they knit gifts for each other despite not being very good at knitting suggests that they really were close and cared for one another enough to put so much effort into presents; and the fact that they both kept and used the stockings... I imagine it was a painful sort of reminder to have every Christmas, but one they wanted nonetheless. The stockings anecdote is a really sweet touch. :)

That you didn't just go for a 'Friend likes friend, tells friend, friend freaks out' storyline is the other reason I like the story behind the quote. That would have been fine, actually, and understandable enough - but the added complication of Poppy's husband's death and Poppy's own feelings for Rolanda make it more three-dimensional and interesting; it also makes me sympathise more with Poppy, who was obviously overwhelmed by everything. Both your Rolanda and Poppy are likeable characters, in fact, with flaws and virtues of their own.

This story is fantastic on the technical side of things, but there are a few mistakes here and there (such as 'rummaged', as silver-nightstorm points out); if you'd like me to, I can make note of them in a PM for you?

Other than that, I feel the ending could have been better described, perhaps with a dialogue tag for the last line of dialogue, as initially I was confused by who says it (it's Rolanda, right?).

But I've no more criticisms: this is a really lovely, well-written story, and as a few reviewers made mention of, it's also very Christmassy!

I'm in love with how you handle the rarepair, too: as I said, I think you wrote them both as very likeable characters, and you make a romance between them feel possible. I was shipping them by the end.

Beyond what I've already mentioned, my favourite lines are:

'I'd like to think Rolanda played professionally before she became a teacher/referee'

Technically not a line in the story, but the idea of Rolanda as a player in the league appeals to me, too - I can well imagine it and it explains how she gained her position at Hogwarts.

'Just like old times?' - I love the hesitance and the fragile hope the question mark conveys.

'She had much preferred it if Poppy were to come and spend Christmas in Aberdeen, because in Aberdeen, in her own house, she felt at ease.' - Nice bit of character development.

'She was almost sure that the 'old times' Poppy was referring to were those of before, because it was the after that had drifted them apart.' - I love the indirect wording in 'it was the after that had drifted them apart'. It echoes the fact that their drifting apart wasn't entirely either of their faults. It doesn't apportion blame.

'She had moved on, had loved other women, but even though her feelings for Poppy had been tucked away, they never fully left.' - Another example of three-dimensionalism. The heart is complicated.

'The dinner went by without much interesting happening and Rolanda was looking forward to the calm and quietness of the promised after-dinner drink.' - To me, this line links back to how she feels more at ease at home; although I imagine she'd still prefer Aberdeen, Helga's rooms seem to offer a certain kind of relaxing atmosphere that she looks forward to, which is nice.

'Poppy leaned towards her and soft lips gently caressed her own. There was no mistaking that for anything else.'

And this, because yay!

Lovely work. :)
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
I don't know if "rummage" is the best word for "rummaged her hands through her friend's curls"... it has a different connotation and sounds a bit funny in this situation. That being said, great job with this! It was so fluffy and cute and Christmas :D
whirlwinds of watercolours chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of femmeslash, but this was quite adorable. I like the fact that 'just like the old times' was a recurring theme here - I'm not sure why, but it just works. Good job!
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
This is a pairing that I've never considered before and I really liked it. I liked how they were both still friends even after the 'incident' but they just drifted apart and Poppy was willing to spend christmas with Rolanda even though they hadn't spent time together in many years. I really liked the fact that the feelings from Poppy for Rolanda had been there the whole time, but she just wasn't ready to show them yet. That was beautiful.

Keep up the amazing work and DFTBA!
HedwigBlack chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
YAY for weird ships! :D I love the last section so much. Where they're both at a point where they can acknowledge whatever happened 'back then' and then consider the possibility of being together now. It's so sweet and Christmas-y and beautiful. Nice job with this pairing!
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
I've never read this pairing before, but yay for rare pairs! I really like seeing some femslash representation, especially in minor characters. I really like what you've done with these two characters that we don't see much of and most people don't really pay attention to. I definitely think that Poppy's awkwardness after Rolanda confesses her feelings seems realistic, especially since her husband just died and she wasn't ready for anything of the sort. I like the ending, I think it's really cute and I'm glad that the two of them ended up together. Spelling and grammar were really good here, I didn't notice any mistakes. Great job!
Thisissocliche chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
This was truly a delight to read.
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
Interesting pairing. I either forgot or never knew about Mme Hoochs first name was Rolanda. I like how she knew she was gay, and Poppy was ok with it. I like how she admitted it, but Poppy wasn't ready then but shewas at christmas. I love how poppy kissed her. Nice job!
slightlysmall chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
This was really sweet. I think you handled Poppy's being scared well, and the way you showed their closeness was wonderful. I really felt like they had been the best of friends. Independently knitting each other stockings one year was a great touch. Well done! I really liked it.
Fire The Canon chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
I like, I like. What an interesting pairing to choose - I have definitely not read anything with these two before. But strangely, I found myself enjoying it greatly. We know very little about either of their characters, but you painted them very nicely and I truly loved it.

Very original with your character choice. Well done.