Reviews for Through A Glass
mcamp755 chapter 1 . 6/21
Oh goodness, what a powerful story! I love how you connect the theme of mirrors and glass with the disconnect between Faramir and, well, Faramir. The switch in the last line from third to first person is jarring, but it fits with what you said about "the world tilts into focus", and thus makes the point that much stronger. Throughout the story I feel like I'm reading about real characters who struggle with real things and have real emotions, and that's not easy to do in 1200 words! Overall, wonderful job, and I look forward to reading more of your work!
Anon chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
Baffling and touching.
IHeartSam chapter 1 . 7/6/2011
I liked that you allowed Faramir feelings of impatience...a bit different
Darkover chapter 1 . 12/29/2010
Dear Altariel: This was a most interesting story. I cannot agree with Faramir's conclusion-namely, that Eowyn deserted her people-but I can understand how he reached that conclusion, if that sentence makes any sense. IMHO, Eowyn did not desert her people, because she was fighting to defend them. Yes, I know that King Theoden left her in charge, and that she was to rule the Rohirrim if neither he nor Eomer returned alive. But when Theoden left her in charge, she was either in charge or she was not, and if she was, then she had the right to rule as she saw fit. She saw fit to defend her people by defending them in battle, and moreover, she fought in such a way as to deserve praise, not blame. Of course, we fans know she was not exactly thinking of her people at that point-she was seeking an honorable way to commit suicide, and maybe take some of the enemy with her while she did so-but as far as I'm concerned, that does not change the outcome. In wartime, we do not analyze the motives of every soldier who fights, particularly when they win. The fact that they did their duty honorably is enough, and it should be. Also, Eowyn took out both the Witch-King and the fell beast he rode upon, defending her King as she did so, so that should definitely count for something-especially when she was the only Rider of the Mark who did not abandon the King at that moment! She is a heroine, IMHO, although I can understand why she did not feel that way at the time, considering her own tumultuous emotions after everything she had been through. You did your usual excellent job of characterization in this story, in your portrayals of both Eowyn and Faramir. I can't picture Faramir chewing on his thumbnail in front of someone else, particularly when the latter is a pretty young woman, as nail-chewing is not attractive, but that is my only objection. Like Eowyn, Faramir at this point has been through a lot and he too is a mass of conflicting emotions. Like Eowyn, he believes he somehow has failed. IMHO, he, like Eowyn, is mistaken in this belief. He has done his duty and then some, just as she did. But Faramir understands Eowyn's feelings, more than anyone else at this point could, and he tells her; "It doesn't matter," because he believes that the world is going to end in a few days anyway. At least, that is what I got out of this story. You always manage to express a lot of emotion and thought-provoking material in your writing, even when it is a comparatively brief tale as this one. I hope I have not tried your patience in droning on like this. Thanks for writing and posting this story! Sincerely, Darkover
Taryn Streambattle chapter 1 . 7/26/2010
"Or had pressed his hand against a piece of broken glass"

Excellent line!
Syntyche chapter 1 . 2/16/2010
Another excellent bit. Thank you for posting these moments between Faramir and Eowyn.
Emily chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
Unusual answer to the question. As a matter of fact, you didn't really answer it. You said, "It doesn't matter."

And I suppose, in reality and at the end of all things, it really doesn't. : )

I like this: It is six days since he became Steward, three days since the host went east, the world will end sometime next week, and this morning he has company.

It strikes me as funny for some reason. Probably the off-handed doomsday prophecy. "Oh, the world will end some time next week. But I don't know when, and I don't particularly care. It's enough that it'll be next week." : )
duj chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
I believe the switch to first-person at the end is probably deliberate, but I found it a bit jarring.

I suppose the "kind of man that can think gladly of the death of his father" is not infrequently someone whose father could think gladly of his son's.
eyes of sky chapter 1 . 11/3/2006
I never realised the true symmetry between them until now, in the film they always seemed slightly mismatched, with Faramir as second-best. Now I can truly appreciate that they are two halves of a whole.
Kimberly chapter 1 . 9/17/2005
Wow, that was good. So well written.
shallowness chapter 1 . 12/15/2004
This was beautifully done. Loved the well rounded portrayal of Faramir and how much was shown and how much more implied about his state, mental and emotional. Sparse but right use of imagery, the relationship with himself, with Denethor and Eowyn delicately handled.
Playing Passerine chapter 1 . 3/11/2004
*is silent at the end* and your taste for the dramatic is why we love you.
Grav chapter 1 . 2/13/2004
I know, I know. But I think it did matter. If Eowyn had not come, Merry would have either, and then who would have faced the Witch King?
Philosophy aside, this was brilliantly written. Your Faramir POV is (as always) amazing, and his subject even more so. I really, really love how you get right into their heads when Tolkien didn't have enough time to and tell us what was going on.
Gaeriel chapter 1 . 1/27/2004
Very masterfully done. There's an urgency and restlessness your writing that comes across very clearly. A bit off topic here, but I was listening to Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road" while reading this, and I couldn't help but notice the corresponding emotions in both pieces. Faramir seems so... weary. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with someone, and I thought, 'Heck, why not the author?' So there you go. Hope you've got more coming from wherever you got this.
Aurora West chapter 1 . 1/20/2004
Pretty story. I like the mirror idea.