Reviews for Fate
Ular Tua chapter 1 . 6/16/2013
In three paragraphs, a lot of things are conveyed. Guile was once an orphan? Interesting. He was once a great person at Magic Guild? Interesting. Drinking wine in a bar? Pretty much in character. The way he scoffs about fate? So in character. :D
Sorry, maybe everything is not in the order above...because I love analyzing this!
Guile Mustang chapter 1 . 5/22/2013
First fic? Well, not cheesy at all! :) A short drabble, but it has managed to portray Guile's arrogance and his 'man of little words' characteristic. He's like someone who just takes the benefits from something and believes that his hardwork creates all the fruits, without being affected by 'fate'. The orphan thingy is a good addition, as this provides something as Guile's back story.
guilefan chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
Wow, splendid! Guile saying that he didn't believe in fate is cool, and a little tease about his back story (not as Magus) is just great! You fit in so many things only in a drabble, and this is your first fanfic...just wow! Keep writing!
ballofstring66 chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
Well,firstly well done for getting your first fic posted. That's a big step and I know how hard it is to put your work out there for others to see.

There are a few grammar errors as others have mentioned but sometimes the achievement is in simply writing anything at all. You took your first step and put something you created out in the ether.
I am sure you are capable of picking up those errors in future but there is lots of friendly help if you need it.

I liked the theme behind this - Guile musing on whether his current situation was inevitable and also the sense of hope in the last sentence. This implies to me that, despite the loss of his family, he feels he can change his situation by working hard as he has done before. You managed to portray all that in only a few words so Well done.
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
I'm not really familiar with Chrono Cross beyond basically knowing that it exists and recognizing a few of the characters' names. Despite that, I enjoyed this.

I am a bit confused by the implied meaning of "fate" here: "Nobody could guess how life would go on, because there was something called fate." I've never thought of fate as being something unpredictable, I guess because I often see things where people are convinced that they are fated to do something with their life, that their fate is entirely knowable and more importantly unchangeable. But the unchangeable quality of fate is clearly what Guile is objecting to here, and that I did understand very well.

I dislike the very idea of fate, and so I find myself agreeing with Guile. He made choices in his life and those choices shaped where he is today. Of course things do happen that are beyond our control (like his becoming a homeless orphan), but I would argue that that wasn't so much "fate" as the result of someone else's choices.

There isn't much room for characterization in such a short piece, but I do kind of get the sense that Guile is a bit arrogant here with quite the high opinion of himself and his diligence.

I did find the fact that he is standing in a corner of the bar drinking wine. That seems like something most people would do sitting down. But then I thought maybe that's something from the canon? I know in many video games, it's actually impossible for the characters to sit down. And even just thinking about reality, it's possible the bar is so full of patrons that there are no seats left.

Overall, I enjoyed this piece quite a lot for something where I don't really know the canon. And it made me think, which is always good. :)
darkin520 chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
Ah, I don't know much about your fandom, but I have read some fics about it through the RLt. I really enjoyed this. LOL...it's a little difficult not to think of Guile as Magus since that's what I've learned, but I have disregarded it for this story. I really love how you show Guile's apathy towards fate. I also love how you didn't change his mind about it. Usually, when a character doesn't believe in a concept, the author makes that character change his or her mind, gives that character an epiphany. But that's not what you did here. Instead, you explain why it isn't fate at all. I really like how you show how hard-working he was, that it was because of his upstanding qualities that was why he was chosen, not because of fate. I really enjoyed this short piece and would love to read more of your work in the future. Well done. :)
BlondieLocks chapter 1 . 12/31/2012
Let me preface this by saying I AM A HUGE CHRONO CROSS FANATIC, lol. I bet you didn't see that coming, most people are always fandom blind (heck, I usually am) so I always get excited when I wander into a story about a fandom I am totally commited to/obsessed with/write fanfiction for.

Anyway, composing myself now. So, this was very short, but, in all of its shortness, I actually pretty much loved the concept behind the words. For as much as I loved Chrono Cross, the idea of FATE, the idea that everything is predetermined, that record of FATE that knows all and records all, *always bothered me*. No, really, it really did bother me. I don't like the concept of fate at all, and so I feel a strong conncection to a lot of Guile's sentiments here.

I think it is a gift to so accurately capture the very core, the essence, of a story, in so few words, but I felt the theme of fate and challenging and quesiton fate was so well executed and understood here. Guile has few thoughts and fewer words, but I felt his confoundment over the theory of fate, and I questioned it with him.

This was a great drabble. Guile is an awesome blank slate for writers to go to town with, and you did a nice job with delving into his internal thoughts and fleshing them out just a little bit for us. I liked this.
persevera chapter 1 . 12/31/2012
I like that Guile believed in hard work and determination, rather than relying on luck or trusting fate. Even though he's lost so much now, if he counted on those two elements, he wouldn't know whether or not he could be successful again. But relying on himself instead, he knows he has a better chance at it.
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
Just a little disclaimer that I'm not really familiar with this fandom, other than what I've read in fanfiction. However, it doesn't look like I need too much familiarity to get what's going on.

"However, Guile always considered fate as nonsense." The wording of this sentence is off; it kind of disrupts the nice flow that you had going from the start. I'd consider rephrasing it to make the meaning a little clearer.

I like the way that you portray the thought process of this character. The way that he contemplates fate, just a bit, and then remains firm in his belief that there is no such thing speaks volumes about the character. Very interesting!

A lovely drabble! Nicely done!

Cheers!
Edhla chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
I have to warn, my entire knowledge of Guile and Chronos Trigger comes from the fics of others :D

This is a nice little succinct drabble, though I thought perhaps it could be a little longer or perhaps tighter, whichever one you prefer, for the subject matter. What did the wine taste like? What did the bar look/smell like? These are details I want to know, but maybe I'm weird :p

"However, Guile always considered it as nonsense." I know you meant that Guile considered FATE as nonsense, but the wording is a little unclear here :)

I like Guile's sentiments, but his syntax is a little off-key. A more grammatically correct sentence would be:
"Neither my luck nor my fate is great. Indeed, I am outstanding. For instance, I was the 'Rising Star' of the Magic Guild not because of fate, but because of my diligence."

There are other equally grammatical ways to express the above, so your mileage may vary.

Still, this was an enjoyable little drabble. Well done x
Anonymous chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
Ha, it's a pleasure to see even more Guile fics popping on the fandom! :D
Ahem, anyway, you characterize Guile extremely well. Heh, he's a bit Magus-ish here, although he isn't. ;)
Legendary Biologist chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
See? Just like I thought; you could do it! Guile's characterization is awesome in such a short piece. He's always like that, seeing how he scoffs at the statement 'Impregnable Fortress' and his reaction towards the bluff in the canon.
You may want to have a look at the first few lines though. They sound a bit...odd IMO.
Anyway, good job for a first fic! :)
SkyWideOpen chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
So this is short and quite nice. On a character level, I'm impressed that in just over a hundred words you've managed to paint Guile immediately as such a strong-willed character, determined to not be dictated to by time or circumstance. Love the tiny little thing with the sip of wine, too - gives him a certain implied dignity and self-confidence that underlines the tone of the piece. Yes, perhaps reading into it a bit too much but if it's deliberately, nicely done.

For the most part it's written nicely, but in such a brief piece I think you could be a tiny bit more expressive. It's well written and all, but I just think the piece could have just a little more impact and power if you rework these three sentences:

"Life was unpredictable. Nobody could know how life would go on, because something called fate was following it. But for those who had a gloomy past, fate meant nothing."

Into something with a little more fluency - maybe join the latter two, or rewrite so that there's a slightly better flow. At the moment, it's a tiny tiny bit broken up because of the way it's structured - and this is incredibly minor, but in such a short piece it's noticeable.

Anyway, well written, interesting, short sharp piece. Nicely done.
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
Short and to the point, I enjoyed reading this fic. I've read a few Chrono Cross fics to somewhat understand Guile, and I like the way you described him as seeing himself being outstanding and a hard-worker who'll reap in the rewards instead of letting 'fate' choose his own way in life.

I found one small error while reading:
'This was what on Guile's mind.'
-This sentence was confusing for me to read; I think if you re-read this aloud, you'll see what I mean. I think one solution to rewriting this would be : [This is what Guile had on his mind at the moment.] This is only a suggestion, and maybe you can see a better solution in fixing that one sentence up.

Other than that, everything else was perfect as I like your writing style! Once again, I truly enjoyed reading this lovely short drabble! :)