Reviews for A Chocolate Factory?
Turrislucidus chapter 56 . 8/22
Tis strange that Charlie's worry of not having enough to eat is replaced by Charlie's worry of having too much to eat. Whether he should ask or not worries him, causing worry around him. I worry that worry, in what should be a comparatively worry-free zone, defines him. Charlie carries inside himself what he needs to put down, and the tension of it permeates everything he does. It permeates this chapter.

Dear Mr. Wonka for trying to lighten the mood, with his multiple choice answers, and how like him to tackle the question that way: using multiple choice, like multiple flavors: pick one, any one, pick the one you like... It's all the same to him. And yet Charlie insists: Which flavor would you pick? And that insistence, transcending worry, leads to some powerful emotion...

Gosh darn good chapter going on here! I'm looking forward to the next.
Sonny April chapter 56 . 8/22
This was another great chapter. I hope Charlie was satisfied with the answers Wonka gave him. It makes me wonder how many of these responses he's gathered he'll actually use for his report. Maybe he won't use any of them and instead will think of his own definition of what love is? I don't know, but I look forward to the next update.
Linkwonka88 chapter 56 . 8/21
Whoa Charlie hit the nail on he head when he answered Willy's question about love and yes I did read "the Move" and so far I'm lovin' it and that does portray Depp Wonka very well and you are portraying Wilder Wonka very well in this story... Have a great day
Turrislucidus chapter 55 . 8/20
Like Charlie, James's answer appeals to me. Even if you're not in love with them, a person who will listen—really listen—to you, is as rare as hen's teeth, and twice as priceless. The skill is a key ingredient in the recipe for empathy. Is empathy love? Is this why so many people fall in love with their therapists? Ha, ha?

And how about Willy? He managed to dodge the question with flavors. And yet, he's made a good point. If doing the thing wrong teaches you how to do it right, Charlie's family has gone a long way in showing Charlie what love is not. In a round-about way, that puts Charlie ahead in knowing what love is, doesn't it? In some deep, buried place, inside him? Or does it...

This is one tough assignment. Little does Willy know the question that awaits. I can't wait to find out what he has to say.
Linkwonka88 chapter 55 . 8/5
Wow this is getting better with each chapter.. I love James's idea on what love is..I hope to read more and when you do finish could you do another story like this but with the '05 version instead?
Sonny April chapter 55 . 8/5
This was a nice chapter. It's good to see Wonka and Charlie having such a strong bond to each other. The flavor experimenting was fun, too.
Turrislucidus chapter 54 . 7/26
Ellie... I guess she thought at first the question was: How does loss feel? Glad to see she sorted that, but with the answer she then gave, she must have decided the question was: How do you show another person you love them? Still not the right question. But seeing what others really need challenges Ellie, so you have her just right.

Georgina... Her response reminds me of Viktor E. Frankl's definition of freedom, the better because this freedom can never be taken from you: "The last of one's freedoms is to choose one's attitude in any given circumstance." But that's freedom, not love.

Joe... Not that it matters, but I never did like Grandpa Joe in the 1971 version. He had some strange attitudes, and his goading caused needless trouble. You have him in fine character here, therefore: the man, doing his thing - causing more trouble and heartburn. That said, Joe makes some fine observations, however bitter they may be.

Poor Charlie, taking the brunt of that bitterness. Whatever Charlie said, Joe should know that liking one person/set of people, doesn't preclude liking others. Thank goodness for Hansard. He and his compatriots may well be Charlie's path forward in learning that lesson. Gosh darn, but this is a difficult assignment! Great work.
Linkwonka88 chapter 54 . 7/25
Whoa that was a powerful chapter..Love is a powerful thing it's very difficult to put into words what love means and I hope Charlie will understand that
Sonny April chapter 54 . 7/25
This was another great chapter. It's a shame to see Charlie accidentally alienate his grandpa he used to be so close with, but I hope everything works out. It's interesting that both Charlie and the rest of his family have the same problem of thinking the other doesn't appreciate them as much as they should. A little communication makes all the difference.
Sonny April chapter 53 . 7/24
Sorry for the late review. It was interesting to learn a little more about some of the grandparents' lives and what they define as love. Josephine and George both describe love in a different way, but I think they're both right; they're just describing two facets of what makes love, and love has many facets.
Turrislucidus chapter 53 . 7/24
I like Charlie's schedule. A lie-in till ten o'clock every morning sounds like bliss. He's a lucky boy, in more ways than one. But Charlie's luck ran out with that homework assignment. There's the tip of an iceberg if I ever saw one. And isn't this a sly slur: "...he [Charlie] didn't exactly think he could trust what his family would say." I laugh and shudder at the same time. I wonder that Charlie doesn't as well.

The responses he's got so far are less than illuminating, even if heartfelt. Or maybe not heartfelt? I'm thinking of George with that... Shall I pity Georgina? I'm looking forward to the more interpretations you've promised us.
Turrislucidus chapter 52 . 6/23
And this chapter is indeed a conundrum. It's easy to transfer affection from the relationships fraught with baggage, to the shiny new one with none. And Charlie seems to be doing that. But 'none' never lasts, and, with his fault-finding attitude, Charlie, unless he's willing to see his family turned out, had best tread carefully.

Perhaps it is Charlie's family who had best tread carefully. Will they realize that? Broaden their self-absorption to include Charlie in a meaningful way, and not as a photo-op? Hmmm.

Your writing conveyed Charlie's confusion and emotional exhaustion convincingly, particularly the paragraph where he tries to keep straight the grandparent's who-was-doing-what explanations. Shaking my head reading that, when I finished, I knew exactly how Charlie felt. I look forward to seeing where you will take this next.
Turrislucidus chapter 51 . 6/12
I spent nearly all of reading this chapter thinking it was about Charlie returning to his family, and by that I mean, I spent nearly all of this chapter thinking Charlie was its focus. But he wasn't. At chapter's end, Wonka was the focus. Very subtle, clever author.

Your sleight of hand makes the switcheroo hard to pinpoint, but it was accomplished through a steady crescendo: bringing small, commonplace details to our attention; calm, routine pacing giving way to excitement; and finally, uncommon emotion. What you conjured took me by surprise—the best kind of prize—but watching the last scene of '71, it's all "right there, black and white, clear as crystal."
This chapter is indeed a prize.
Linkwonka88 chapter 51 . 6/2
Whoa that hit us right in the feels...I was hoping Charlie would stay with Wonka but I understand that he has to be with his family ... Can't wait to read more soon
Turrislucidus chapter 50 . 5/19
A comment on a comment, because without an account, a PM isn't possible: Trust is like virginity: once it's lost, you never get it back.