Reviews for Family Tree
PilotDante chapter 7 . 1/20/2017
I think my cat had a seizure because of my squeall when Aragorn came into the story. The bit with him and Fili talking was so well written, reflecting on Aragorn's on look on Gondor and his destiny. I loved it :D
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 10 . 11/11/2016
I wish this would have happened in canon. They desperately needed some self discovery time...and I hope it helps with the gold sickness.
Surrealforreal chapter 10 . 9/21/2015
(Sorry for any misplaced tenses. I had to change them in a hurry so the ending result may not be satisfactory).

I truly appreciate the subject choice and the way it is explored. Fili's place in the family is never really brought up in the movies or the book, not in the way of explaining what it means for him as a person. It was almost certainty that he would have to face these particular thoughts and feelings because the journey was not easy. It was always going to include the possibility of death, Thorin's death. A wonderful opportunity for a fanfiction writer and you took it!

Despite all the dark themes and intense emotions your style is not overly so which in this case I like. Makes everything blend better with the original material. It may also make reading easier for those who are really attached to the characters and do not wish to see them fail.

The story bases itself greatly on relationships and I find all of them a pure joy to read. However there are some I was more interested in due to my own preferences.

It is nice to see Fili stepping up and showing that he has what it takes to be an heir to the throne. Every action is handled naturally and none of them feels forced what so ever. He acts from his heart, not from the sense of duty and all this makes him very humane.

I have always been kind of neutral about Kili, not giving too many thoughts for him but you somehow managed to change that. I actually started to like him and would have been sad if he had not been included in the plot as much as he was. Kili brings balance to his brother's dark mood lightening things up. He is cheerful, innocent and truthful in his actions and everything he does with Fili seems like real sibling interaction. There really is a place for him in the plot and it did not seem like he was added in there just for the sake of it. It is funny though that when he makes his little blurb about the key I was reminded of Sam's slightly drunken reveal in Lord of the Rings. The part where he accidentally tells Faramir about The One Ring.

Thorin acts pretty much as I expected him to and there is not much I can say about him. He is stubborn, harsh and overall not very talkative like he always is. Although the story is about Fili's journey Thorin still has his own place in it and it is nice to see him trying to co-operate with an elf. He learns from some of his own errors and shows it subtly. It is good that he acknowledges both his presence and past, a part which some more eager writer may would have forgotten. I also like his rough way of showing affection to his nephews. He is a caring uncle after all.

I honestly did not expect Aragorn to be a part of this story but when he was introduced I was excited. He is the best character to talk about the weight of the crown. Also he is still pretty young during the events of The Hobbit and has probably been thinking about the same things as Fili. Because Aragorn was there the whole world seemed more living, like there was many things happening but we were only seeing a small part of these evens. And it is nice you hinted at his relationship with Arwen.

Kudos for those subtle wordless messages between the characters! My favorite one is the one between Arwen and Elrond when she wants to take care of the injured dwarfs. (If I remember correctly anyway...) Speaking of Arwen her starting friendship with Fili is hearthwarming!

All in all it was nice to see how differently every character reacted to the unwanted situation and how they found a solution to their shared problem. It really showed that Fili would a fine king if given a change and that the both parties, dwarfs and elves, can come in to an agreement and this agreement could actually make them stronger.
miriel's granddaughter chapter 10 . 9/6/2015
I very vaguely remembered this story from having read it before. I decided I wanted to reread it, but it was very hard to find. And now I discover it has a sequel. That is great!
Aruraina chapter 10 . 12/23/2014
I have only recently come across this fic and I've found it to be quite amusing. There are not enough fili centric stories out there. My only issue is that estel would have been about 10 years old in canon literature. Nonetheless, I enjoyed his appearance. Looking forward to starting the sequel shortly.
TortoisetheStoryteller chapter 10 . 5/30/2014
Really interesting. I enjoyed following Fili emotional growth.

One thing, though. Estel was only nine when Thorin's Company traveled through Rivendell. He would not have known of his heritage. Also, Arwen was in Lothlorien at the time. Well-written, though.
Elise chapter 10 . 5/8/2014
really nice this, love it! The emotions were very well described, perfectly balanced in fact, I've read too many a fic in which the dwarves cry far too much, which I think is quite out of character. They're a proud folk and wouldn't show their distress so openly, be logical people! so kudos for that :) And I enjoyed Fili's change a lot, it felt natural that he should develop in such a way after what happened to his family.
thanks for posting and very late congrats on being accepted at your school! ;)
Alice chapter 10 . 4/29/2014
Ahhhh this was so good. I'm a sucker for Durin angst and seeing Fíli forced to take charge like that was great.
The dynamics between the Durins was awesome. In fact all the dwarves were spot on.
I particularly loved Kíli's sleeping habits!
SiZodiac chapter 1 . 3/27/2014
This looks like the start of a lovely story, but there is a continuity error: Sting isn't called Sting yet, not until Mirkwood. And... I know this is nitpick, but it bothered me... Fili really shouldn't have pulled that arrow out of Kili, because I think he just worsened Kili's condition (pretty sure that would result in pneumothorax or hemothorax). The way to manage an arrow when no immediate help is at hand is as shown in DoS: Kili breaking the shaft and power through the pain until it could be properly treated. It is the same as being stabbed: since the damage is already done, the "weapon" now serves as the plug preventing blood from gushing out.
ncis-lady chapter 10 . 2/7/2014
Loved this story, great job!
ncis-lady chapter 1 . 2/6/2014
I do realise that this was posted more than a year ago, but I only just found it and want to let you know that I loved the first chapter and will probably spend the next days reading your story. (Or stories, or that matter, I saw you have more than once.) Well, I've only just started with my PhD so I guess it's okay to get distracted a little from time to time.
(That's what I'll write in the preface of the thesis: I couldn't have done this without my family, and I could have done it a lot faster if it wasn't for fanfiction.)
Booksnake3 chapter 10 . 1/14/2014
There is so much I could say about this fic but I can't think of it all now you are so amazing so I'm going to stick to two words: LOVE IT :)
Guest chapter 3 . 1/4/2014
This is great! please keep writing!
Tamara chapter 10 . 8/31/2013
A great read. I truly enjoyed it.
Jenny Islander chapter 9 . 7/20/2013
I like the little bit that illustrates that Thorin is still not quite well-how he accuses Elrond of wanting to take his own army to Erebor, as if the Master of the Last Homely House East of the Sea could muster an army.