Reviews for It's Lonely at the Top
COBRASTEVE chapter 1 . 10/21/2014
I think you did a great job of getting in Asuka's head. That's c really her personality...sadly.
ChaddyManPrime chapter 1 . 6/16/2014
Good Sir, you write some of the most depressing stuff I have ever read, also you should come back to the Forums.
Gemini011 chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
Radiohead was an odd choice, not because of any particular ideas about their popularity, but because of Shinji's pretty well established predilection for classical music.

"I've read your essay about Walls of Jericho. Good work, son. It's a clear A." Interesting decision to put this in. This appears to be the Rebuild continuity (based on the presence of Asuka's doll), which would mean that Shinji and Asuka's synch training - and Asuka's comment about the "impenetrable Wall of Jericho" - never happened. Too bad for her, apparently; if this Shinji is that familiar with the story, he probably would have understood her veiled invitation.
Onizuka Inc chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
My Asuka-fan side hates you for writing this
My Evangelion-fan side loved the Adorable Rei-Shinji shipping
My inner critique thought that maybe, just maybe, Asuka would have put up more of a fight
My hedonistic side enjoyed reading it far more than I am comfortable admitting

Now I'm sad, though.
Tom Kristal chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Great Story. Couldn't stop reading it until its tragic end.
The true tragedy was that she couldn't understand her faults and her wants.
Worth the read.
Jacen Dane chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
Damn, that was fucking good.
Donderkind chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Very cleverly done, and well written too. Enjoyed this very much!
Asuka rang true too, the poor deluded tsundere. _

Please, please, please forgive me… but…
You're idea with Thom Yorke made me imagine this scene:

“I’ll get it!” Shinji called as he ran to the front door.

The other two occupants of the apartment gave no sign that they had ever intended to have him do otherwise.

Wiping his sweaty palms on his jeans Shinji answered the door. He smiled shyly as he saw the figure of the First Child standing demurely in the apartment's doorway.

"Uh... H-Hi Rei..." He stammered.

"Good evening, Pilot Ik... Shinji." The girl replied softly, returning his smile ever so slightly. The boy’s heart raced at the sheer kawaii-ness of it.

"Who's there, Shinji?" Misato called from the lounge.

"It's just Rei!" He replied, turning from the door.

Shinji turned back around and to his bewilderment and horror Rei had transformed into a pasty looking Englishman.
He stared dumbstruck at the man. The man stared sullenly back at him.

For several seconds, an awkward silence fell between the two before finally the man cleared his throat.

“Hello Shinji.” The man said. “You might know me as Radiohead front-man, Thom Yorke.”

A loud scream echoed throughout the small apartment. This was shortly followed by a heavy thud as the traumatized Third Child collapsed insensible to the floor.

Back in the kitchen, Asuka looked up from her magazine article and shot a questioning look at her guardian. Misato simply shrugged and opened her third can of Yebisu for the evening.
The German girl ‘hmphed’ and returned to her magazine.

Back in the entryway the poor boy had finally regained his senses and looked blearily up. Swimming into his still blurred vision all he could see was the blue haired First Child staring down at him with a mildly confused expression on her pale face.

The boy screamed, jumped up and ran, arms flailing wildly, from the apartment. His piercing wail of terror and confusion could be heard echoing continuously down the building's stairwell, without break out across the car-park, before finally fading down towards the commercial district of Tokyo-3.

Eventually Asuka, dressed casually in T-shirt and cut offs and munching on a turkey sandwich, wandered into the apartment's entry hall. She cocked an inquiring eyebrow at Rei, who was still standing outside the open door, looking, surprisingly for the ever-reserved First Child, a little sheepish.

"What the hell was that all about?" Asuka asked the First Child quizzically.

Rei shrugged. "...for a minute there, I lost myself..."

Geez... did I actually write that or have I been overdoing the custard tarts again?

Look forward to more of your stuff. Definitely showing with the quality of this work that you're an author worth watching!
iamjustanotherguy chapter 1 . 1/17/2013 tricked me. You basturd you tricked me. Very good story, but damn that was a twist...or not. Should have seen it coming. I so should have saw that coming. Well I liked it. Very well done.

CrossyCross chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
...magnificent. My god, I absolutely LOVE this oneshot.
Carry on, valued author! This is grade-A work you've got here and I'd love to see more!
ZeroDante chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
Wow just wow this is fantastic
SmoothKaz chapter 1 . 12/31/2012
I love it. You've done a great job of capturing the characters' personalities. People tend to do a poor job as writing for Asuka, either making her too much of an irredeemable bitch or too nice and sappy. You've definitely written her as a bitch - possessive, jealous, selfish and insensitive - but that's who she is. Asuka is a bitch, but she's also human, and you've done a great job at getting inside her psyche. The story is done perfectly from her perspective - rather than have her admit to herself in her head that she cares for Shinji and feels hurt, she twists reality to match her perspective. By still showing the other characters' perspectives though, you've made it clear that hers is nonetheless wrong. Great work.
Chuckman chapter 1 . 12/31/2012
I enjoyed your work, but disagree with this claim that the Beatles are dead. Heathen.

The idea of Shinji writing a hundred page document explaining his outlook on philosophy to Rei is hilarious and endearing.
ColorlessWind chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
So funny! Good Work!
Seventy-Eight chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
Well, I would generally say this is good. The characters never really go out and act in a manner that can be defined as heavily out of character. The one thing that could be interpreted as that would be Asuka being interested in Shinji enough for any of that to effect her, but it wouldn't be very dramatic if she wasn't. Everything seemed pretty solid on a technical level, but I am not terribly good at looking for that kind of thing without reading something numerous times.

The main thing that bothers me is the use of a real band in a fictional setting. On a technical level, there is probably nothing wrong with it, but it is a world not our own, and on top of that, a different country. It might be better to just not name a band in that kind of scenario.
Traitor of All Traitors chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
I can't really understand this story here. If it was something of a competition for Shinji's affections, I would've probably understood. If this were part of a series, I would probably understand. Will the next one explain more?