Reviews for Red Suoh and the Eldritch Library
Dumbledork chapter 12 . 4/1/2013
Nice idea with the batttle against the Chardins. Can't wait to see how that turns out.
zeltronica chapter 12 . 4/1/2013
Well as usual a fine performance.

Though the thing that I find weird is that Red didn't even pick up on this line: "Alas there is rumored to have been only one person but I have learned that a tragic accident struck her down and she recently died. Her name was Ranma Saotome and she supposedly did so through a forbidden technique of an obscure branch of the family known as the 'Parley du Foie Gras'. I only learned this with much research after getting myself into this mess." Sakai sadly replied. "So without a champion, I am doomed."

I would have at least figured she would consider the name since she already had a mind she was named Ranma in an earlier chapter and may have been at least a little curious about such a coincidence.
lostmagic564 chapter 12 . 4/1/2013
Anyone else feel that a big amount of this chaper was just red eating? notting really happened what i really care about is whats going to happen to her and i still find her fights seem kind of silly for e.g. she insults someone they will try to kill her?
AnFan-n-More chapter 11 . 4/1/2013
Ok, speculation time on Red finding out about her past. (using an older chapter to continue last review)

I said that the likely way of finding out about who Red 'was' is through the Chardin. Due to them thinking Red is related. For details, I would guess that given this very strong link (likely to be threats involved from the Chardin) the likely way of finding out is actually through Dr. Tofu, through a contact of Ranma's details because his father is unavailable and his mother is unlikely to be answering the phone or door with her believing Ranma is dead. And Dr. Tofu is unlikely to think that Red going back to being Ranma was any kind of a good thing. Though this would give Dr. Shin more health records for Red. This all depends on if Dr. Tofu was aware of the age mushroom event. I'd have to check the manga or anime to see. If not, then he could be a link to Red's possible father (Ranma). Even if Red is thought to be Ranma's child, Tofu wouldn't want 'her' outed to Ranma's parents given how Ranma was treated.

I guess it's also more likely if you want to involve a Tendo that it's Kasumi. Unless there was more trauma (like Nabiki seeing Ranma's 'death') Nabiki wouldn't likely be able to let go of manipulating Ranma. Even if in the short term she is likely to be quiet, in the long term she is likely to backslide. Then again, a run in with the Yakuza would also do it, that is make her turn over a new leaf.

Now, onto 'his' death. This looks like a classic betrayal by Akane, that likely involves Ryoga. I'm not sure how else anyone would believe he is dead w/o a body. The only thing I can think of is that she reported his death all teary eyed and moaning how his body was lost to the river. With Red having been picked up before anyone else started searching for Ranma. I could even see the betrayal coming from finding out about Ryoga's curse, then Ryoga convincing Akane it was all Ranma's fault, even the keeping it quiet part. I can even see why the Amazons haven't left Nerima yet. Cologne wouldn't leave until she saw the body or was convinced that he wasn't coming back.

The link to the Kuonji's is probably a dead end also. Ukyo is unlikely to respond to any investigation due to Ranma's 'death' and her father would unlikely link the name uchan to Ranma. Or this could lead to any other confusing twist you can think of.

There, got that out of my system :D Thanks for a story that got me speculating on the hidden aspects. I love reading stories that get my thoughts going.
Sakura Lisel chapter 12 . 4/1/2013
Hey I've been dying to ask, but unless I've MISSED something while reading this story, but WHERE is the Harry Potter side of this crossover? It seems like its been purel Ranma one half for the last 12 chapters. *lol*
AnFan-n-More chapter 12 . 4/1/2013
Fun chapter. I suppose that we will find out the circumstances of Ranma's 'demise' once someone questions if Red is somehow related. Which will probably happen with the Chardin's. Though, there is also a possibility of the Kounji's, it's not as likely to lead to Ranma.

I wonder who else you can bring into the picture without actually giving away that Red is Ranma. Do you have a situation in mind that Nabiki might be sorry for what she has put Ranma through and when discovering him/her again keeps it secret? I suppose it would depend on when you want Red to discover 'her' past. Then again, discovering your past and remembering it are two very different things. Even if Red finds out the details of Ranma's life, it may only spur her onto believing that it's best to leave that behind.

I really look forward to your next chapter :)
gaul1 chapter 12 . 4/1/2013
good
Vld chapter 11 . 3/21/2013
Pretty cool. I'm guessing her magic was blocked by the bone fragments? Meaning that now she may start to show some unusual... well, even more unusual than usual... or some Wizard will take her martial arts and gender changing for magic?
Artekha chapter 11 . 3/18/2013
Thanks for the update, I'm in a position where i wont be able to review (or even read DX) very much so my reviews will probably be far between. i still hope you'll continue this story. Look forward to reading it when i can.
Katsuhito chapter 11 . 3/14/2013
This is an excellent story. Aside from your writing skills, which are very good, you display a depth of knowledge that shows you are invested in the story (due to either the research or experience needed to achieve such depth). The emotive content is also quite good. In fact the scene with the pianist actually got an emotional response from me, which is rare for a fanfic.

I look forward to the next chapter. Fav'd and Alert'd, story and author both. :)
Shinzochi chapter 11 . 3/13/2013
this is a great story and i am looking forward to the next chapter, what i like most is that it is so unlike any other Ranma fic i have read
zeltronica chapter 11 . 3/13/2013
Excellent so far and no worries on the wait preperation is important.
Janissa chapter 11 . 3/12/2013
This story is great. I like the history lesson in the story.
Winter's Folly chapter 11 . 3/12/2013
Interesting info you divulged there, is it fact, 'bout the orphanages?
Brian O'Leary chapter 11 . 3/12/2013
Hi Blackholelord, I knew this question would come up when I was writing this chapter. According to the research I have done on Japanese orphanages and the adoption system what I wrote is a pretty good overview of how things are with the orphanage system in Japan though it may not be completely accurate because I don't fully understand every legal ramification, the culture, etc because I am an outsider looking in through internet research.

Abortion was legalized in the 1940's, but t wasn't until 1988 that adoption was even formally legalized in Japan and the government was given the ability to sever parental rights in favor of adoption but that is only done in the most extreme situations where the child is at severe risk. Adoptions happened before 1988 but they were primarily done within family circles.

While Japan ranks as one of the highest countries for adoption rates in the world it is primarily because of their practice of adults adopting adults. The adoption of children is sidelined by a system that favors institutionalization over adoption. One of the reasons is that Japanese culture tends to feel that adopted children can't ever be happy. Another reason is that it just isn't on their social radar despite the fact that there are many Japanese couples that wish to adopt.

The figures I used in my story were actually a reflection of the figures from 2011 because I couldn't find numbers from 1989 or 1990 which is the approximate current time of my story. Here is a paragraph from an article that you can google on this titled 'Japan's Forgotten Children.'

["There were 36,450 children in the orphanage system in Japan in March, 2011. Only 12% or 4,373 were adopted or placed in foster care during the preceding 12 months. Orphanages abound here; there are 14 within the Nagoya city limits alone. You may wonder why there are so many children without parents in Japan. The fact is that the vast majority of children in orphanages here do have parents. Parents are allowed to put their babies/children in orphanages for any number of reasons. They don’t even need to visit them. They can leave them there, and often do, until they reach 18 years of age. The government will not proactively sever their parental rights."]

Also, there are some children that are mainstreamed for adoption with the term 'Special Adoption.' Here is a brief blurb on that practice from 'Adoption Quarterly' in 2008.

["About 400 children in need in Japan are placed in a “special adoption” each year. The modest numbers are partly the result of a cultural predisposition to think of adoption in terms of family lineage, which discourages the adoption of nonrelatives or children of “bad blood.” Special adoption is also limited by concerns over the confidentiality of family registers, by a heavy reliance on institutional care, and by a narrowly defined concept of an “ideal child.” The limited professional organization of adoption services in Japan makes national reform difficult. However, some adoption agencies have made local efforts to increase placements by avoiding institutional care or assisting in maintaining confidentiality. Potential parents have also been encouraged to extend their idea of an acceptable child in trial placements, and some children have been placed with mixed couples and foreign residents."]

Here is one more quote on Adult Adoption from an article titled 'keeping it in the family'

["Last year more than 81,000 people were adopted in Japan, one of the highest rates in the world. But, amazingly, over 90% of those adopted were adults. The practice of adopting men in their 20s and 30s is used to rescue biologically ill-fated families and ensure a business heir, says Vikas Mehrotra, of the University of Alberta, the paper’s lead author. “We haven’t come across this custom in any other part of the world.” Though the phenomenon has been previously documented, its impact on a company’s competitiveness has not.

Japan’s sliding birth rate has created many one-child families, and although daughters can manage the company back-office, in Japan its outward face must still be male, says Chieko Date. She is one of several marriage consultants who help match ambitious young men and the marriageable daughters of business families."]

Since Fanfiction deletes hyper links, the best way to learn more would be to google phrases like 'adoption in Japan' - 'Japan's Forgotten Children' - 'Adult Adoption in Japan' - 'Orphanages in Japan' - etc.

One area of the adoption issue that I have fictionalized is where the office of the CGC is located and the way an orphan enters the system because I couldn't find much data on any of that so I wrote it to meet the needs of my story. However the system tends to be less of a top down system like the one I used and more of one that deals with orphans at the local levels of the various institutionalized orphanages though there is government oversight of the system.

All the best and thanks for the question.

Brian.