Reviews for Merry Christmas, Molly Hooper
Faulty L0gic chapter 1 . 8/7/2015
This was a lovely look into the quietly desperate Molly.

I like how you show her families disapproval. It sounds like they listened to her, realized it was hopeless, and that Sherlock was therefore unimportant. I also liked Molly's implied exasperation with her families "favorite topic."

[Nothing could make him notice her.]
I love this sequence. Sherlock notices these things, but he seems to have a blind spot when it comes to himself.

Her learning to knit and her title for Sherlock are what really sells her desperation, and makes the story sad, yet adorable.

Sherlock coming to the conclusion that Molly brought the present for someone she loves again illustrates his emotional blindness in spite of his great intelligence. I think the question "is it me?" simply never occurred to him, because if it had, he'd be able to answer it right away. Which is sad in it's own right.

Her list of the scarves Sherlock was wearing really conveys her forlorn hope.

And a really nice, somber yet hopeful ending as Molly might decide to move on.

A great read!

Minor:
[ends to a means]
Means to an end?
[the next day, it was Scarlet]
Scarlet shouldn't be capitalized.
[She could picture it perfectly, the red...]
The comma should be a colon.
[Maybe it was time of Molly]
Of should be for.
ShadowDeity'sFire chapter 1 . 8/7/2015
I’m reviewing a Sherlock fic right now, so why give the STOW a shot!

I loved the fact that you touched on Sherlock having that ‘special something’ despite his often cold, demeaning, and often unlikeable personality. Sometimes you really do wonder if Sherlock is a kin to a cadaver given his weak understanding of emotional rapport. I think a lot of women can relate to the ‘when are you getting married,’ trope, and the fact her parents do not have all of the facts straight about Sherlock shows how reluctant they are to fully understanding the situation.

“Nothing could make him notice her- not a new lipstick, a new hairstyle, or a new boyfriend” was a great line because it directly contradicts Sherlock’s keen awareness of the minute details. He certainly does notice these things, but rather it is whether he truly cares or not to comment. Additionally, this line was a good way to set up the ending of the one-shot. I don’t think Sherlock would not her to change regardless, as his opinions of people are pretty fixed and rarely can you get him to change his mind on anything.

The ‘keeper of the heart’ bit displayed the emotional and caring side we often see in Molly, and also her conviction that she will one day get Sherlock to notice her. The fact she put so much detail into the scarf, which you described very well, shows how determined she is to win Sherlock over- these details are a great contrast to the lackadaisical commentary from her parents earlier in the scene. The line ‘he doesn’t realize that its him’ once again touches on the lack of emotional understanding Sherlock has, which is a good foil for the emotional intelligence you have conveyed in Molly.

Poor Molly had to play the wait and see if Sherlock will wear the scarf game, and sadly he did not, but that really was to be expected. Thing is we have no idea if Sherlock opened it (he could have), and his true reactions, which makes the ending intriguing and ambiguous. I certainly enjoy a good love story, but I really enjoy more the realism of stories that understand the inner mechanisms of characters.

Heh, I say this story is officially graduated now. :)
frankannestein chapter 1 . 8/7/2015
Hello, Wendy! Fandom blind, but I've read a couple of Molly Hooper fics now and I hope I can sound intelligent while talking about her. :3

Poor Molly. This one little line [anyone's definition of nice, really] says volumes. I may not know her very well, but after that, I feel like I do. Like a lot of women have been there before, hopelessly attracted to the "wrong" man in everyone else's eyes, and only because of his indifference to her would she accept that label for him. Maybe even put it there herself, although that won't assuage her feelings any.

This is fun, too: [her normal day-to-day companions, the recently deceased who littered her examination room]. It's a great way to tell me what she does for a living without saying it outright, and then to use it to describe another character! I enjoy that sort of subtlety.

I noticed an inconsistency. [to knit Sherlock the perfect sweater] becomes, in the next paragraph, [she completed the perfect scarf for the Keeper of Her Heart]. Was that done on purpose? I could see her trying sweater and then giving up and doing scarf because it's easier, but a little explanation to that effect would help. :3 (That is not meant to sound as supercilious as it does, promise.)

[Her heart ached when she realized that the only thing worse than "compensating for the size of her mouth and breasts"] OMG, this woman. She needs a friend so badly. My heart just went out to her in the most painful way!

I really like how she thinks of her own work: [navy with a shock of yellow]. The word "shock" - she was proud of what she'd done, and so hopeful, that I'm sure every day was a shock to her heart and feelings when he wore duller colors.

This is just an aside, but I kept reading the phrase as someone saying Merry Christmas TO Molly Hooper! Weird, huh? Even her gift tag sounded like that to me and threw me a bit. I think it's story-format that is doing it, all on one line like that, though. (No, I'm not suggesting anything be changed, I just wanted to share something kind of silly.)

Another aside for which I am hugely grateful! I know Sherlock Holmes is a character out of the turn of last century, but I know that the franchise has a much more modern version than that. However, in some of the fics I've read, I honestly couldn't tell which version of the universe was taking place. In this fic, the very first line [Her mother didn't understand what she saw in "That Man on Intranet"] cements me solidly in time and I CANNOT tell you how much I appreciate it. It's something members of the fandom take for granted, I suppose . . .

Overall, a sad tale. Poor thing. But a very good read. Someday I'd like to know how this state of affairs ends, hehe!

~ Anne
MissScorp chapter 1 . 8/6/2015
Hello there, my dear! Can't believe that I have not reviewed this piece. I honestly swore I had. No matter, I am rectifying that here and now!

I have always felt bad for Molly. She has fallen in love with someone that is just incapable of returning it. I might be a weirdo, but I do think Sherlock cares about Molly in his own way. It's just a fragmented and disorderly and very cruel way. I like that you epitomize how everybody in her family tries to make her see this, but Molly, in spite of knowing they're right, can't let go. Even after Sherlock makes a big ass of himself at the Christmas party, she still has hopes that he will see her as an object of desire. You end up feeling sorry for her, but at the same time wanting to grab her and yell, "wake up, dearie!"

See, I love that Mum here: ((Her mother didn't understand what she saw in "That Man on Intranet,")) gets that the man on the 'intranet' isn't a nice and respectable young man for her daughter. She realizes he's a bit of a tosser and more fixated on solving cases than he is about settling down with a nice girl like her Molly. Course, Mum is a bit confused about things since she thinks the Internet is the Intranet so maybe she's not a really great judge to go by ;)

((In that time, she also went through five skeins of yard, three pairs of knitting needles, and a countless number of swear words, including a memorable moment when she'd let out a good f-bomb on the Tube after she'd dropped three stitches, startling an elderly women into a near faint.)))- I crochet so I can understand all this perfectly? LoL it's a very frustrating thing to do, requires patience that can be hard to come by, and causes rage modes when things don't turn out as you intend. I really connected with Molly on this level and felt her frustration as she was making this present for a man who likely wouldn't (and didn't as we learn) appreciate all her hard work, anyway.

I love how here: ((Sherlock did one of his famous deductions on her, guessing (albeit correctly) that she's giving a gift to someone she loves that night, though he's clearly not such a genius after all when he doesn't realize that it's him.)) you tie the show moment in and add onto it by giving Molly's interpretation of the scene itself. It puts further depth in and shows what an ass he actually is and how Molly responds.

((The next time Molly saw him, she was hopeful.))-bah! Get it together girl! He's socially clueless and totes don't get that you are in love with him. Again, I feel sorry for Molly and connect with her about this fact because I have been in love with someone like this and know how much his disinterest hurts. You have to get to a point where you just decide that he's not worth it and move on, but Molly isn't there yet. Clearly.

See, here: ((That scarf would never see the light of day.)) she finally gets it and decides she's going to move in, but there is still the lingering question about if she will move on, or just find someone to occupy herself with as she waits for Sherlock to come around?

In all, this was a really good look into the heart of Molly Hooper and her complicated love affair with the esteemed Sherlock Holmes. Fantabulous job!
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 8/4/2015
What started out as a nice, light-hearted one-shot quickly turned into one of sadness. Your opening paragraph does a great job of filling in this description. I chuckled a bit at seeing “the Intranet” joke, but then felt for Molly upon finding out that Holmes treatment of the woman was down-right…well, not right in the slightest.

This roller-coaster theme, if I have to depict this fic as such, adds a lot of substance to something that seems depressing. Molly’s father, at the family dinner with every single young twenties person loathe because of the subject that is brought up here, stating that “Sherbert” isn’t her chap – thus bringing her into knitting, which almost (probably exaggerating here) killed an elderly woman. Again, I like this high-low setting that you put Molly into.

From the holiday get-together to the end, it’s clear as day that Holmes will not return Molly’s feelings. The woman is crushed to see Holmes wearing all of these different scarves, but not the one she made for him. The last sentence was a perfect way to end – Molly has accepted the fact, and is moving on for something better.

In terms of SPAG, everything looked amazing – albeit, there was one section that I thought could have been improved, but after a second thought, I realized that you would have had a run-on sentence, which doesn’t help in the slightest. Kudos to you for an error-less one-shot!

Overall, I enjoyed reading this! You highlighted Molly’s issue, her purpose to fix said issue, and the aftermath in which she learned the hard way that it was time to move on. Throughout, you gave me a few good chuckles with some humorous writing which helped elevated this fic from “downright sad” to “finding some joy within the hurt” if that makes sense. Nonetheless, this was amazingly written. Kudos once more and happy writings to you in the near future! :)
Legendary Biologist chapter 1 . 6/13/2015
Hi, Wendy! Just to drop a quick disclaimer that I'm fandom blind.

I love the paragraph about comparing Sherlock to a cadaver. Haha, it means that Sherlock is that cold and apathetic. Yet he isn't really as dead as a corpse. Which is why Molly can still love him. Connects so nicely with the question from the first paragraph: Why can Molly still like Sherlock although he isn't a nice guy? Also makes a nice lead-on to Molly's struggle to get his appreciation.

Love Molly's struggle for it. Poor Molly; that struggle to master the art of knitting (just to earn Sherlock's appreciation) is so hard and frustrating. To the point she is dropping f-bombs on Tube. Ouch!

It's another 'ouch' when Sherlock just gives a flat "Merry Christmas, Molly Hooper." And a big 'OUCH' when Sherlock apparently never wears the scarf Molly has knitted for him. The list of the color just makes the disappointment really, really hard-hitting. No navy-and-yellow-colored scarf on the list. Poor, poor Molly.

I really like how it ends. Maybe Sherlock cares about the scarf. Maybe he doesn't. But Molly cares less about it. She just thinks of moving on. It's a nice characterization of her; Molly is definitely not someone who dwells on disappointment, which makes her a strong character. Though I feel like I want to hug her as well, because it just sucks to have your efforts unappreciated. ;)

On another note, the line about cadaver just suits Sherlock so perfectly! By the time I reach the end, I find that he's such a cold, apathetic person.

Well done! :D
Ersatz Einstein chapter 1 . 3/11/2015
There was some phrasing unusual to the point of awkwardness ("the one Sherlock Holmes," "matching manners to boot," "so full of vibrancy") and grammatical errors ("under enrolled," "skeins of yard," "she'd let out... after she'd," "it was Scarlet").
I enjoyed the semi-quotes of Molly's conversations with her mother ("That Man on Intranet," "Sherbet"). The little touches of humor kept things from getting irritatingly romantic, particularly the bit about pantaloons. The ending was appropriate and realistic, leaving just enough ambiguity to suggest that whether Sherlock figured it out or not, it won't change anything.
Surburia chapter 1 . 2/10/2015
Love the little character details you put in about Molly’s mom in the beginning, and even just her little bit of dialogue because it sounds exactly like her. “Internet, Mum, honestly.”

“Why did she like the one Sherlock Holmes” Here it’s almost like your thesis and it’s one I’ve actually wondered about before. Why was Molly so drawn to him when he’s such a jerk to her?
With this one sentence you promise a story that’s going to explore that attraction and give us more insight into Molly.

“he had the pale skin…” this is great! I love this description, and clearly it seems that it’s not his looks that she’s attracted to. To compare someone you’re attracted to to a cadaver isn’t much of a compliment in my eyes. Cause, eww.

But then we see that what she is attracted to is the complete opposite of what she encounters in her day to day work. She works with the dead. No life, nothing, and she’s drawn to the maniacal energy that fuels Sherlock, the life she sees there.

Hee hee I love her dad’s dialogue. And just the little inclusion of “Molly-bear” and “that sherbet chap” give life to his character.

And you show just how much she wants to catch Sherlock’s attention by all the hard work she puts
into learning to knit and actually making him a sweater, not to mention the time and money she puts into her project. Wow, this really makes me realize just how awful Sherlock was to her in the Christmas scene, and I haven’t even reached that part in your story. Gah! I’m dreading it. Sherlock, Molly put so much hard work into making that for you!

Though wait, I’m confused. You said sweater and then later switched to scarf. I’m guessing that you meant scarf the first time.

And AHHHH that’s so horrible how he treats her especially after you’ve just told us how much thought she put into choosing the colors and then embroidering his name.

The ending is bittersweet. But I like that you hint that Molly is going to move on. The passing from winter to spring adds to that as well. Spring is a time of growth and change. Wonderful story, Wendy!
Miss Kells Bells chapter 1 . 2/9/2015
Hey Wendy! So I love Sherlock and I absolutely love Molly Hooper. I think you nailed her character perfectly. You wrote her so insecure and wanting to please but also adorable. You heart just breaks for her.

I loved the description the cadavers and your comparison of them to Sherlock. Molly says Sherlok's the opposite of them (in all but looks) because he's so full of life but think this comparison works on a deeper level. On hand it gives us deeper insight to Molly. If these are her normal companions, if we think about how she's always surrounded by death, it's no wonder she's developed this crush on Sherlock, the one man who's there to give here a little insight into death. On the other hand she can take comfort into the familiarity of Sherlock. He's a lot like a death guy. So unattached to the world in his socially stunted ways.

When Molly's dad called Sherlock Sherbet I laughed. I thought it was funny! Really helped push the clueless parents angle.

I think it would have been cool for you to go in depth a little more on Molly's learning to knit. It felt like you just glossed over it in one line. I would have rather seen the scene where Molly dropped the F-bomb than just here the narrator say it happened.

I think you have a typo. You wrote it took Molly four month to master knitting/make Sherlock the perfect sweater, but obviously she makes a scarf.

Then we get to the ending. You have some amazing moments in your ending. First we have Molly going to give Sherlock the gift.

"Instead, Sherlock did one of his famous deductions on her, guessing (albeit correctly) that she's giving a gift to someone she loves that night, though he's clearly not such a genius after all when he doesn't realize that it's him."

That's such a great characterization of Sherlock. He's so smart but so dense. It kind of reminds me of when he meets John and he guesses John has an alcoholic brother, but it turns out be a lesbian alcoholic sister, lol!

Then you get to the part where Molly waits to see the scarf on him. And he never wears it. It's so perfectly heartbreaking. And perfectly Sherlock.

I love this story so much. Great job!
GeorgyannWayson chapter 1 . 1/31/2015
Wendybird! Not canon blind to Sherlock, so yuss I know what's going on! :)

Guuuurrrrlll, I love this opening. I'm not very good with doing what I call 'casual narratives' that read as though you're just talking to someone, but you are great at it. I got a huge kick out of [internet] vs [Intranet]! I also like how the narrative turns from rather light-hearted to more muse-worthy and Molly reflects on what she likes about Sherlock.

Which apparently isn't much, but hey, you know, it's something, right? Love the parallel between the bodies that liter the morgue and Sherlock himself; from his pale skin to those harsh manners (if we want to call them that), he does seem rather like Molly's customers, doesn't he? But ah, yes, the light of pride that shines in Sherlock's eyes as he one-ups someone isn't one that's easy to miss. Yes, Molly. Be attracted to it!

[In that time] just something I noticed in passing, but this sentence does seem a tad bit long :) but I do love how it sounds a bit crazy to further convey the craziness that Molly goes through to knit this gift.

[221 B] Pretty sure this is actually all one word but I could be wrong. And oh, good Lord, Molly, be realistic here woman! As much as you -and every Sherlolly shipper on the entire planet- would love for that to happen, just keep it real *nods*

Oh God...this ending. Wendybird, why?! I don't even ship this and I'm just like MAI FEELZ. That sting of rejection is just so strong and oh, to watch the narrative name off colors and not one times does the scarf she made show up in that list. Excuse me while I go to a corner and just cry now because that's just mean.

This was a nice -yet sad- holiday story and it fits perfectly into canon as we know it. Thank you for taking the time to write it, I hope your giftee enjoyed the story!
Luna Rapunzel chapter 1 . 1/28/2015
So I don't know if a fic is going to happen tonight because ugh. But this review will!

When I went to read this I was completely expecting it to be a cute fluffy Molly-and-Sherlock-are-cutesy-at-Christmas fic, so I was really pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be more of a Molly-reclaiming-self-respect thing - I'm all about that message, and that's more up my alley genre-wise anyway, lol, but just it was such a nice change of pace from the scene you're referencing in canon to see Molly standing up for herself and growing as a character, which she wouldn't necessarily do in a fic where she ends up with Sherlock unless it were like a reaaaaally long WIP and you spent a lot of time developing her as a character outside of him or something. And, I mean, the ending you gave us was ambiguous - it could be read as more of a depressing "and then she closed herself off from the possibility of love and became a jaded cat lady" type deal - but personally I read it as Molly realizing people who don't respect her aren't worth her time so she decided to step it up by not exposing herself to them anymore and saving her affection for people who deserve her. Maybe I'm not reading it the way you intended, but eh. I think both ways work, and I like the line because of its ambiguity, so it's all good.

You had some really sweet moments here as well: the "Intranet" line was legitimately REALLY funny, the crack about Sherlock's manners, the way you worded "the family's favorite subject," the "Keeper of her Heart" moment and everything associated with it, etc etc. I thought that all the little instances like that made this fic an incredibly charming one and nicely evened it out into more of a fluff fic than an angsty UNREQUITED LOVE one, and even though I'm ordinarily all about the angst, I thought that the tone you chose worked really well for this, again because Molly had such a sort of charming take on the little annoyances and herpy frustrations she has to deal with in her everyday life and relationships where she had enough distance and perspective to sort of funnily reflect on everything as you can tell from the voice of the piece, rather than dwelling on how alone she feels and letting Sherlock dominate her in that way; definitely the overall tone you used contributed to the sort of theme of empowerment that I got out of this, and I liked that very much about it.

This is definitely my second new favorite from you. (We apparently always radically disagree about which of your fics are best? haha.) Archiving for sure.
J'aime ma vie chapter 1 . 5/30/2014
This fic was so beautiful; and it hit me right in the feels, too, because I think we've all been in Molly's position with having feelings for someone who likely won't return them, yet are still optimistic (somewhat) about it.

I really liked this fic because it shows Molly as someone in her own right - someone who stands her ground, yet is very vulnerable. She tries to remain strong, but falters, and likes Sherlock, but doesn't know why; or maybe she likes the idea of him, but isn't sure about that, either. I really liked how you gave Molly that awareness and how she doesn't understand why she likes Sherlock so much; but there is that bit of a high school/young girl fantasy going on there too, where you like someone *because* they're mysterious and there's something him that intrigues you and piques your curiosity. It also brings the idea that Molly likes the idea of Sherlock and his mystery more than him, but they're both very plausible.

Molly also remains hopeful that Sherlock will wear the scarf she knitted him, but he never does. I still love that about her, how she remained optimistic here despite knowing that she "doesn't count." It's heartwrenching, though... but it makes this fic so amazing, too.

Also, I did like the bit of comic relief you inserted. I died laughing picturing Sherlock in pantaloons and I loved how oblivious her parents were.

And the "What Is Molly Doing With Her Life and When Will She Get Married" jibe - I get that all the time from my parents.

Thanks for writing this! :)
Ballykissangel chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
I loved this, I like the way you portrayed Molly and some of her feels.
well done )
ShatteredGlassHouse chapter 1 . 8/13/2013
My heart just ached for Molly during that whole scene and it ached again, for her in this fic. Poor Molly. :( I really like the choice of his present; I really wished Sherlock had worn the scarf, though. :(
Madam'zelleG chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
Yay for getting to read more of the holiday fics! I'm really excited about this one.

"Her mother didn't understand what..." I love this way of starting us off. The use of the "Intranet" did totally throw me for a minute, but I started giggling when you got to the bit where Molly had to correct her with that annoyed tone. That was actually a very clever way of beginning the piece, so my hat goes off at this point!

"Well, not exactly the complete opposite" LOL, now that's the truth! I can just see Molly's face as she realizes what she just 'said'.

"favorite subject, "What Is" If it were mine, I'd change the comma to a colon just to slow the reader down a bit at this point. Because the subject is too good to read quickly, if you know what I mean. :)

"Sherlock strode up to her in..." I think that I just died from the epic images there...

"...two months to master..." All the feelz! *hugs Molly* I can totally imagine her curled up in her house, trying to master knitting all because she wants to impress him and get her to at least notice him.

As much as it brings a tear to my eye, I appreciate the fact that you kept the ending very canonical. I loved the fact that you showed us the different scarves that he did wear; it gave me a great idea of how her hopes slowly began to be dashed as he just doesn't wear it. The fact that you didn't dwell on her disappointment really made for a fabulous ending. I can't help but wonder if the scarf came up sometime during Reichenbach when he needed her help. There's hope for that scarf yet!

This was really lovely, my dear. I really enjoyed this. Lucky Kate!

Cheers!