Reviews for In Which We Burn
XenaEatsGrapes chapter 1 . 5/8/2014
A dark chocolate read for a late stormy night. Thank you!
EwigeStudentin chapter 1 . 11/24/2013
Woohoo, *definitely* canon-patching!
It was not as scary or dark as the first part - labelling horrors always takes their edge away, but maybe it's true only for my hyper imagination... Anyhow, I loved, LOVED how you connected the dots... how the admiral began to believe in crossing directives. So clever.
Had to google Kellidians... A Voyager rewatch might be in order - I had absolutely no idea they were mentioned as KJ's kidnappers! O.o Great job on picking such a detail and fleshing it out so nicely.
viatrix rediens chapter 1 . 7/22/2013
I just love this story of yours and how it explains Admiral Janeway's tempering with time!
viatrix rediens chapter 1 . 7/19/2013
I love the way you have with words, this is great stuff :-D As dark as it gets, just how I like it ;)
HugMyMoose chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
This was very interesting and different from the rest I enjoyed it very much!
Mizvoy chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
What's not to like about this! A fascinating speculation into AKJ's dismissal of the prime directive in "Endgame." I do love those "what happened to them if they didn't use the hub" stories, and this one is truly special. I'm not going to live in this dark place, but it is an interesting spot to visit. Thanks for posting!
hester4418 chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
I have to admit that "dark" is not usually my cup of tea. That's why I almost didn't read this. But curiosity is so hard to overcome sometimes... ;-) Once I started I had to know where it was going. And - I'm duly impressed. After the ceremony, I thought I knew where you were heading, and I expected a whole different outcome, one that would have been much harder to take (for me at least). Instead, you suddenly take it back to canon, which is brilliant. Well done, in that uniquely disturbing way that you mastered so terribly well.
KJaneway115 chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
One thing I love about your writing is that it makes me read every word. This is a pretty brilliant set-up for "Endgame," QS. Another thing that constantly impresses me about your writing is how you manage to tell us so much in relatively few words - so much about the characters, what happens... suddenly I can see the admiral's entire timeline unfolding before me, and you've only written a few pages. You delve into so many essential questions about what it means to be happy and what it means to be human. Your writing always, always makes me think. Thank you for that.
Rascal207 chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
Absolutely bloody brilliant! I was gasping for air after I read it the first time. I actually reread parts, then went back and again read the "C. Mass" & the other story. Then came back and read this one again. Dark, very dark, sinister in parts, so much so, it gave me chills up & down my spine while I've read it. I love your writing, and I utterly enjoy all your stories, but this one just blew me away.
Fantastic insight in the story behind the story of Janeway, why, how, what triggered her to do it! My hat is down to you, you are trully the master of twisted, omnius and dark, and yes, I love it! My dark side is sated.
cbw chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
Brilliant, emotional, dark... This chills to the bone but adds a necessary completion of the Voyager Universe - why did Janeway do what she did? The theme of time was brilliantly woven throughout. Just amazing writing!
badmelk chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
wow. okay. that was insane (in a good way). and it explains a lot too...

well done as always. this is a dark masterpiece :)
every1ssleeping chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
CallHerVictor chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
Quantumsilver, I always enjoy your work, and this piece is no different. It captures so perfectly Janeway's character and motivation, as well as her character defining logic.

"After the ceremony, he tries to stop her from leaving with a hand on her elbow, and she openly flinches. Her eyes land heavy on thick fingers curled around her brittle thin bone, and she makes no effort whatsoever to mask the nauseating revulsion coursing through her when she raises her eyes back up to his. She absorbs the hurt and the shock on his stricken face as he releases her like she's burned him instead of the other way around, and she expresses only open relief at the severed contact."

There are many powerful and exquisitely written sections of this, but the above is one of my favorites. The motion is spot on, the unspoken communication is perfect. Layered. Expressive. So many amazing things.

Hats off to you writer, for all of this. Awesome.
Cheshire6845 chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
Gods, but you do have a masterful stroke at capturing the most rampant emotions in the darkest of situations. Even having read this before, I still devoured it, holding my breath as I sank into your vividly painted descriptions with some of the worst (aka BEST) being the stuff you didn't say or show outright. I read and think oh wow she's going to go there but then at the last possible second you turn our eyes away and the not seeing is almost worse.
And then on top of all give it this delicious reason for happening. So many questions about how the future Adm. Janeway could possibly make such decisions are so easily and understandably answered.
You know I love it! It's awesome, brilliant, well-done! I stand once again in awe.
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
Dark and hauntingly truthful. You reach right into the soul of human nature and hold a mirror up to it, calling it on its faults. I love how you examine time and hold an even more revealing mirror up to it, exposing it for what it is to us, and how we have come to glorify its sanctity.

Janeway's downward spiral is painful, brutal, and heartbreaking. She loses so much due to something that she had no control over, and as a captain she can't accept that. The loss of her relationship with Chakotay is so subtle, but those slight flinches speak a thousand words.

I think the tragedy of it all is best represented by this line: "He can't look at her and see his failure, and she can't stand to be touched, and reminded of hers. This is a friendship built to last." - they have become a sum of their failures, doomed to be haunted by them.

Another beautiful piece, QS.