Reviews for The Golden Mean
FernWithy chapter 1 . 4/9/2016
Paul, there's no real way for me to respond to non logged-in comments on FFN, unless you're reading along on the thread here.

For challenge calls, those are strictly a blog thing. When I open one up, I take the first however many I say I'll take that time that are posted to that thread. I do take anon comments at LJ, since a lot of my readers dropped their journals when LJ changed hands, and you're welcome to ask there.
Paul chapter 28 . 4/9/2016
Two more Challenges requests
1. Someone in District 10 watching the quell in the aftermath of Kate and Earl's deaths, and, while still displaying some grieg, maybe feeling relief that one of them got selected instead of Toffy or Mindwell or bitterness that Toffy or Mindwell didn't get selected in the place of one of them, then feeling conflicted, guilty and more upset after word comes out that Toffy and Mindwell died in the control center.
2. Someone in District 9 watching the quell reaping (or reflecting on having watched it years later) and noting whether the crowd was happy to see Hector and Thelma go off to there probable deaths, or whether or not they wished Will and either Darla or Etta had gone instead (maybe with someone shouting "It should have been you, Norton") with someone making a (possibly feeble) effort to defend at least one of the victors (maybe pointing out some idea of Will's that did work, the parcel days those victories got them or maybe something decent about Darla, Thelma or Etta, who sound like they weren't quite as unpopular as Hector and Will).
P.S. I know that you haven't done anything I requested yet -something I hope will eventually change -but I still submit requests because your one of the only fan fiction authors who actually takes any.
Paul chapter 27 . 4/8/2016
Recently read your AU oneshot where Haymtich went into the quell instead of Peeta. Assuming Katniss somehow survived the wave (it doesn't seem likely, but with a little creativity I think it could be possible), that story has potential for a longer story (assuming your still writing THG fan fiction). Be interesting to see where it went from there. I've already expressed a desire for an AU story where more victors live and since this is already AU, it has potential there.
Might be interesting to see if it's possible for Mags, Seeder, Paulin, Berenice, Gloss, Cashmere, the district 9 tributes (I don;t care much for them, but they are said to have chased Seeder away fro the cornucopia, which could have let them survive the bloodbath), Kate, Earl, Wiress, Faraday, and Ceceilia (or at least some of them) to make it out of the arena in this new timeline. Odds are that at least some of them still die at the cornucopia or due to the dangers of the arena, but some might have been able to live somehow. Also, it might be interesting to see if Peeta's presence and Haymtich's absence manages to save the victors in the viewing center (particularly the rebel ones).
I doubt that you ever will turn that one-shot into a full-fledged story, something you indicated on live journal, but I hope you at least think about it every now and then.
Paul chapter 27 . 4/7/2016
In this chapter Haymitch and Plutarch speculate that Will and Darla will return to the Capitol after getting there things and express surprise that they didn't in the narrow path. Might be cool to see a oneshot explaining why they didn't (maybe out of unease due to the viewing center massacre, especially seeing as how there fellow District 9 victor Etta apparently died during it).
Paul chapter 21 . 4/5/2016
Nice bit of foreshadowing here, having Haymitch call the president of the mutt appreciation society a good guy despite his weirdness, as you do have him turn out to be a rebel in the narrow path.
Paul chapter 25 . 3/27/2016
A request for a potential future story (although it might be to long to just be a 'Callenges' one-shot, assuming you ever do it); what might have happened if the worker who spotted the escape hovercraft had been preoccupied or something and not bothered to mention it to anyone. Would this have changed the scope of the war? Maybe having more living victors on the rebellions side might have moved the war along a little faster, maybe kept Prim, Portia, Lyme, the entirety of Squad 451 and others alive.
Would Harris, Toffy and Jack have survived the rebellion or would they have still died somehow? Would there have been a chance to rescue Peeta and Johanna from the arena to? Could be, as its implied the reason they got caught was because Snow was on to the plan and sent responders. Would Philo have gone with the ones getting away on the hovercraft, and what would his fate have been? Would the massacre at the viewing center have still happened? If not, then what would have became of the victors left behind there? Would all of the victors who stayed in the districts have still died?
I know it's maybe to much to ask for, but as I've said before, it's easy to get attached to all the victors you created here (Philo, Toffy, Jack, Harris, Miracle, Otho, Mindwell etc.). Be nice to see more of them-maybe a few, maybe a lot- make it out of the rebellion alive, if only in an AU story.
Paul chapter 28 . 3/22/2016
Curious about why you don't post all of your challenges one shots from the phantom librarian to stops on the way to the end of the world. It sure would be convenient, as there hard for me to find there.
Paul chapter 28 . 3/22/2016
Was just browsing the phantom librarian and found your story where toffy figures out charlie is Caesar. Glad you had toffy of all the victors do that. I wish they'd come to more of a consensus but am glad they didn't get mad at each other. Horrified by the implication that duro das daughter is the daughter of ausonious glass via rape. If that's true, it would mean that glass rigged a reaping to send his own grandson into the arena, and never even showed any remorse afterwards.
Paul chapter 28 . 3/19/2016
Another request for Challenges or Stops on the Way to the End of the World (Assuming your still working on either of them). A onset showing the oldest living (and non-senile) victor besides Mags' impressions on the brewing rebellion and the 3rd quarter quell.
Paul chapter 16 . 3/1/2016
Curious about your comment that Finnick was the only quell tribute to win without having any allies.
Haymitch's descriptions of Beetee, Chaff, Blight and Seeder's games (and Seeder's appearance in one of your Challenges stories) earlier in this story make it sound like they didn't have allies, although it is possible that they might have had some at one stage of the games. Also, comments about Berenice's games in The Hanging Tree imply that she went at it alone, although this is unconfirmed.
Paul chapter 14 . 3/1/2016
Another request for Challenges or Stops on the Way to the End of the World. Presumably, Toffy had already planned to be the mentor for District 11 (assuming he wasn't reaped himself). i think it would be interesting to see how he broke the news to the other District 10 victors, either before or after the reaping. Also be interesting to see if the District 10 victors planned to loan out a mentor for District 11 anyway. One reason I'd like to see a story about this is that it would give a good look at the dynamic between the District 10 victors, how they'd react at the knowledge that one of them will be trying to keep District 11 alive while 2 other are in the arena. Also it would be a chance to find out why Toffy is the only rebel amongst the District 10 victors, and maybe get an inkling as to whether the other three have any suspicions to his activities and just how much rebel sympathy they have.
Paul chapter 28 . 2/29/2016
Just read your Challenges story narrated by Commander Jackson as the Star Squad goes through the Capitol. Interesting point of view. Jackson had a neat description of growing up in District 13. Surprised by her familiarity with Coin, but glad she recognized Coin had flaws. Kind of sad really, to know that they were friends but Coin was willing to sacrifice her (and Boggs for that matter) to get rid of Katniss, Peeta and Finnick. Glad you finally detailed how Plutarch found out about District 13's survival.
Paul chapter 28 . 2/27/2016
Just noticed there was a fourth story on Challenges canon 2 that I'd missed earlier, the one where the main rebel victors discuss Effie's brainwashing. I thought it was well written, and it was nice to see that they cared.
Paul chapter 28 . 2/27/2016
A request of my own for Challenges or Stops on the Way to the End of the World (whichever your prefer, assuming you ever do anything with this). Gale going over some of the casualties of the bombing of district 12 in his head and how they affect him, either in the woods after the bombing, or after getting to District 13. It would be interesting to see how he felt about the deaths of Madge, her parents, Rooba, Peeta's family, Thread and various other casualties, mostly Seam but also maybe a few Merchants.
It would also be a way of finding out more casualties of the bombing (as there's plenty of District 12 characters in your stories who's fates weren't mentioned after the bombing of District 12, like Mr. Parton).
Paul chapter 28 . 2/27/2016
Just read your stories for Challenges: Canon 2 on LiveJournal. Does that word Canon imply that the rest of your Challenges stories are non-cannon? I hope not. Didn't really get the one about the Finnick Odair craze. Like the interactions between Jack and Linden.
The one with Cray and Beckett was the best one of the three though, hands down. Loved Cray's line about feeling Beckett's main fault was taking things by force when you could trade for them. Was kind of funny to hear Cray's thoughts that Thread was considered better suited for District 12 than him, but Rebellion came less than a year after his reign began. Also funny when Cray said he considered his job making sure the miners didn't steal dynamite to use on him. Interesting to see Cray had some brains, as he was able to guess that District 12 citizens would make it through the fence, especially seeing as who the Seam wasn't bombed first. REALLY liked the exchange were Cray said he likes to let the black marketeers think there getting away with something (an interesting interpretation of him, by the way) and Beckett retorts that letting them get away with something defeats the purpose.
I don't like Cray but it was nice seeing him stand up to Beckett especially when he out and out told her that she'd have gotten a knife in the gut if she tried to force herself on Gale and when he says that they should be scared of Gale (especially the part about "I had the guns. Now He has the bombers". Also the line where he suggests that they make like rabbits and dig out of The Nut.
Glad that you FINALLY killed that b*tch Beckett, and hope she didn't die instantly when the ceiling fell. Hope you get around to killing off Claudius some time in the future to.
P.S. Once again, I really wish you'd put your Challenges and Stops on the Way to the End of the World stories on fan , as there generally pretty good and it would make them easier to find, read and review.
131 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »