Reviews for The Golden Mean
Paul chapter 28 . 4/10/2016
Two other story requests I forgot to add to that list earlier today to maybe do someday at your own leisure on fan or archives forum.
1) Confirmation about whether or not Saffron Abatty was a rebel (and if she wasn't, what did she think of the victors who were?)
2) Otho, Kate, Cecilia, Philo, Mindwell, Tanager, Jack or Diamond's impression of District 12 (including Haymitch) during his or her victory tour stop there.
Paul chapter 28 . 4/10/2016
Having tried to post my requests as Live Journal comments and apparently failed, I'm putting them here again. some of these are new, but most of them are just versions of older requests, although most are revised.
While I sort of understand why you can't directly respond to my stuff on LiveJournal, is there really any reason you can't put it on , maybe in Stops on the way to the end of the world. \
I hope I'm not annoying you to much. I just don't really know how to work LiveJournal that well and have lots of requests I hope to see used someday, a you really are one of my favorite fan fiction authors.
2. A Harris POV chapter from when he's mentoring for the quell, showing some of his thoughts on the rebellion, tributes in the arena, and allies in the control center (and maybe Plutarch and Caesar)
3. A story from the POV of a capitol citizen (preferably one with little to no connection to either Snow's regime or the rebellion) 24 hours after Katniss destroys the arena trying to recoil from the shock of losing so many victors in such a short time, going over all the memories he or she can think of for the victors who died in the quell, the control center and the fighting in districts 1 and 4, going over them District by District, sometimes barely being able to think of anything (say with Woof, Hector, Seeder and Thalis) but being able to think of some memories, mostly positive, of most of them, like sponsoring them in there original games, meeting them at victory banquets, seeing them on TV specials and various other things.
4. A chapter from the POV of Philo, Otho or Livius (whichever one it is, the other two are also featured), committing rebel acts or going over rebel plans shortly before the quell or Otho on the run immediately afterwards.
in District 9 watching the quell reaping (or reflecting on having watched it years later) and noting whether the crowd was happy to see Hector and Thelma go off to there probable deaths, or whether or not they wished Will and either Darla or Etta had gone instead (maybe with someone shouting "It should have been you, Norton") with someone making a (possibly feeble) effort to defend at least one of the victors (maybe pointing out some idea of Will's that did work, the parcel days those victories got them or maybe something decent about Darla, Thelma or Etta, who sound like they weren't quite as unpopular as Hector and Will). Also appreciated would be references to the games of at least some of the five district 9 victors.
6. A oneshot explaining why Will and Darla didn’t return to the Capitol instead of stay in district 9, as Haymitch and Plutarch seem surprised by that decision (maybe out of unease due to the viewing center massacre, especially seeing as how there fellow District 9 victor Etta apparently died during it).
7. what might have happened if the worker who spotted the escape hovercraft had been preoccupied by something like a tribute he’d place a bet on dying and hadn’t noticed it. If you do a oneshot like this, you could have it set after the war and narrated by a victor who lived because of that, maybe with that person going over all the victors who survived and the differences they made in the war (like maybe saving Prim), also, would that have maybe kept Peeta, Johanna and Annie from ever being captured?
8. A oneshot showing the oldest living (and non-senile) victor besides Mags’ impressions and feelings on the brewing rebellion and the 3rd quarter quell.
9. Presumably, Toffy had already planned to be the mentor for District 11 (assuming he wasn't reaped himself). i think it would be interesting to see how he broke the news to the other District 10 victors, either before or after the reaping. Also be interesting to see if the District 10 victors planned to loan out a mentor for District 11 anyway. One reason I'd like to see a story about this is that it would give a good look at the dynamic between the District 10 victors, how they'd react at the knowledge that one of them will be trying to keep District 11 alive while 2 other are in the arena. Also it would be a chance to find out why Toffy is the only rebel amongst the District 10 victors, and maybe get an inkling as to whether the other three have any suspicions to his activities and just how much rebel sympathy they have
10. Gale going over some of the casualties of the bombing of district 12 in his head and how they affect him, either in the woods after the bombing, or after getting to District 13. It would be interesting to see how he felt about the deaths of Madge, her parents, Rooba, Peeta's family, Thread and various other casualties, mostly Seam but also maybe a few Merchants. It would also be a way of finding out more casualties of the bombing (as there's plenty of minor District 12 characters in your stories who's fates weren't mentioned after the bombing of District 12, like Mr. Parton).
11. Brutus wondering about the 3 victors he mentored right after the quell is announced, maybe wondering what went wrong with all of them and thinking back to a tribute he lost who he thinks he would have actually gotten along with.
12. A description of a riot in one of the outer that took place either during Katniss’s pre-teen years or before she was born.
13. A description of the District 1 victor’s melee that followed Katniss blowing up the arena and Ravish getting shot, maybe with it being related but not seen, say during the trial of the one survivor.
14. Berenice and Paulin doing something for the rebellion after the announcement for the quarter quell.
15. A victor’s impressions watching Gloss try to keep Cashmere alive in her first arena.
16. Claudisu Templesmith’s fate (hopefully an unpleasant one).
17. The quell interviews for at least some of the non-rebel victors, maybe from Caesar's POV.
18. Boggs and Jackson watching the climax of a hunger games with a career victor ten to fifteen years before the 74th hunger games.
19. The massacre at the viewing center from the pov of Lucanus Bazzet or Verge Gatty, both of whom appear to have stayed loyal to Snow in the aftermath, maybe with a brief footnote revealing the fate of one or both of them in the war that followed.
20. District 2 peacekeepers in the nut commenting on the secrets Finnick Odair revealed about prominent Capitol citizens and maybe arguing about whether they should be risking there lives for such a bunch of sickos and losers.
21. The District 9 victors mentoring someone they really had high hopes for in regards to being there sixth victor, maybe the girl from Jack's games.
Paul chapter 3 . 4/10/2016
This chapter says that District 9 hasn't had a hope of a victor in years, yet according to These are the names, during the 72nd hunger games, the final fight was between Ravish (that years victor) and the boy from 9, although its possible he only got that far by luck.
Three other requests (and incidentally, I may see try to post all of my story requests on LiveJournal in a little bit)
a Harris POV chapter from when he's mentoring for the quell, showing some of his thoughts on the rebellion, tributes in the arena, and allies in the control center (and maybe Plutarch and Caesar).
A chapter from the POV of Philo, Otho or Livius (whichever one it is, the other two are also featured), related to rebellion business, preferably set either shortly before or immediately after the quell (if the later, then obviously don't have it from Philo's POV).
A story from the POV of a capitol citizen (preferably one with little to no connection to either Snow's regime or the rebellion) 24 hours after Katniss destroys the arena trying to recoil from the shock of losing so many victors in such a short time, going over all the memories he or she can think of for the victors who died in the quell, the control center and the fighting in districts 1 and 4, going over them District by District, sometimes barely being able to think of anything (say with Woof, Hector and Thalis) but being able to think of some memories, mostly positive, of most of them, like sponsoring them in there original games, meeting them at victory banquets, seeing them on TV specials and various other things.
Paul chapter 28 . 4/9/2016
Dear FernWithy
thanks for taking the time to acknowledge my reviews and bothering to explain that whole deal. I guess I could have posted on live journal before, and prefer not to because I'm kind of paranoid about my email account getting hijacked and used to send me more junkmail than I already get. Also, when I first read the Golden Mean I felt it had far fewer reviews than it deserved, so I decided to pad that up whenever I had a request and I guess one thing led to another and it became a habit.
Assuming I do post all my requests on live journal (which I might do, especially if I can find a way to get around the putting in your email thing), what's the chance that you'll do any of them? Also, where exactly would you want me to put them on live journal?
FernWithy chapter 1 . 4/9/2016
Paul, there's no real way for me to respond to non logged-in comments on FFN, unless you're reading along on the thread here.

For challenge calls, those are strictly a blog thing. When I open one up, I take the first however many I say I'll take that time that are posted to that thread. I do take anon comments at LJ, since a lot of my readers dropped their journals when LJ changed hands, and you're welcome to ask there.
Paul chapter 28 . 4/9/2016
Two more Challenges requests
1. Someone in District 10 watching the quell in the aftermath of Kate and Earl's deaths, and, while still displaying some grieg, maybe feeling relief that one of them got selected instead of Toffy or Mindwell or bitterness that Toffy or Mindwell didn't get selected in the place of one of them, then feeling conflicted, guilty and more upset after word comes out that Toffy and Mindwell died in the control center.
2. Someone in District 9 watching the quell reaping (or reflecting on having watched it years later) and noting whether the crowd was happy to see Hector and Thelma go off to there probable deaths, or whether or not they wished Will and either Darla or Etta had gone instead (maybe with someone shouting "It should have been you, Norton") with someone making a (possibly feeble) effort to defend at least one of the victors (maybe pointing out some idea of Will's that did work, the parcel days those victories got them or maybe something decent about Darla, Thelma or Etta, who sound like they weren't quite as unpopular as Hector and Will).
P.S. I know that you haven't done anything I requested yet -something I hope will eventually change -but I still submit requests because your one of the only fan fiction authors who actually takes any.
Paul chapter 27 . 4/8/2016
Recently read your AU oneshot where Haymtich went into the quell instead of Peeta. Assuming Katniss somehow survived the wave (it doesn't seem likely, but with a little creativity I think it could be possible), that story has potential for a longer story (assuming your still writing THG fan fiction). Be interesting to see where it went from there. I've already expressed a desire for an AU story where more victors live and since this is already AU, it has potential there.
Might be interesting to see if it's possible for Mags, Seeder, Paulin, Berenice, Gloss, Cashmere, the district 9 tributes (I don;t care much for them, but they are said to have chased Seeder away fro the cornucopia, which could have let them survive the bloodbath), Kate, Earl, Wiress, Faraday, and Ceceilia (or at least some of them) to make it out of the arena in this new timeline. Odds are that at least some of them still die at the cornucopia or due to the dangers of the arena, but some might have been able to live somehow. Also, it might be interesting to see if Peeta's presence and Haymtich's absence manages to save the victors in the viewing center (particularly the rebel ones).
I doubt that you ever will turn that one-shot into a full-fledged story, something you indicated on live journal, but I hope you at least think about it every now and then.
Paul chapter 27 . 4/7/2016
In this chapter Haymitch and Plutarch speculate that Will and Darla will return to the Capitol after getting there things and express surprise that they didn't in the narrow path. Might be cool to see a oneshot explaining why they didn't (maybe out of unease due to the viewing center massacre, especially seeing as how there fellow District 9 victor Etta apparently died during it).
Paul chapter 21 . 4/5/2016
Nice bit of foreshadowing here, having Haymitch call the president of the mutt appreciation society a good guy despite his weirdness, as you do have him turn out to be a rebel in the narrow path.
Paul chapter 25 . 3/27/2016
A request for a potential future story (although it might be to long to just be a 'Callenges' one-shot, assuming you ever do it); what might have happened if the worker who spotted the escape hovercraft had been preoccupied or something and not bothered to mention it to anyone. Would this have changed the scope of the war? Maybe having more living victors on the rebellions side might have moved the war along a little faster, maybe kept Prim, Portia, Lyme, the entirety of Squad 451 and others alive.
Would Harris, Toffy and Jack have survived the rebellion or would they have still died somehow? Would there have been a chance to rescue Peeta and Johanna from the arena to? Could be, as its implied the reason they got caught was because Snow was on to the plan and sent responders. Would Philo have gone with the ones getting away on the hovercraft, and what would his fate have been? Would the massacre at the viewing center have still happened? If not, then what would have became of the victors left behind there? Would all of the victors who stayed in the districts have still died?
I know it's maybe to much to ask for, but as I've said before, it's easy to get attached to all the victors you created here (Philo, Toffy, Jack, Harris, Miracle, Otho, Mindwell etc.). Be nice to see more of them-maybe a few, maybe a lot- make it out of the rebellion alive, if only in an AU story.
Paul chapter 28 . 3/22/2016
Curious about why you don't post all of your challenges one shots from the phantom librarian to stops on the way to the end of the world. It sure would be convenient, as there hard for me to find there.
Paul chapter 28 . 3/22/2016
Was just browsing the phantom librarian and found your story where toffy figures out charlie is Caesar. Glad you had toffy of all the victors do that. I wish they'd come to more of a consensus but am glad they didn't get mad at each other. Horrified by the implication that duro das daughter is the daughter of ausonious glass via rape. If that's true, it would mean that glass rigged a reaping to send his own grandson into the arena, and never even showed any remorse afterwards.
Paul chapter 28 . 3/19/2016
Another request for Challenges or Stops on the Way to the End of the World (Assuming your still working on either of them). A onset showing the oldest living (and non-senile) victor besides Mags' impressions on the brewing rebellion and the 3rd quarter quell.
Paul chapter 16 . 3/1/2016
Curious about your comment that Finnick was the only quell tribute to win without having any allies.
Haymitch's descriptions of Beetee, Chaff, Blight and Seeder's games (and Seeder's appearance in one of your Challenges stories) earlier in this story make it sound like they didn't have allies, although it is possible that they might have had some at one stage of the games. Also, comments about Berenice's games in The Hanging Tree imply that she went at it alone, although this is unconfirmed.
Paul chapter 14 . 3/1/2016
Another request for Challenges or Stops on the Way to the End of the World. Presumably, Toffy had already planned to be the mentor for District 11 (assuming he wasn't reaped himself). i think it would be interesting to see how he broke the news to the other District 10 victors, either before or after the reaping. Also be interesting to see if the District 10 victors planned to loan out a mentor for District 11 anyway. One reason I'd like to see a story about this is that it would give a good look at the dynamic between the District 10 victors, how they'd react at the knowledge that one of them will be trying to keep District 11 alive while 2 other are in the arena. Also it would be a chance to find out why Toffy is the only rebel amongst the District 10 victors, and maybe get an inkling as to whether the other three have any suspicions to his activities and just how much rebel sympathy they have.
135 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »