Reviews for Shadows ere Darkness
RavenLady chapter 1 . 6/11/2005
This is disturbing-with-reason, like several of your stories. I'm sniffling again.

The bit about Maglor's relationship with his father is scary but absolutely plausible. And there is a sense of inescapable fate in the "choices" of the Feanorians, even Maglor - you bring that across beautifully. And it's touching that he tries to save Elrond by leaving him. Maybe he suceeds, as painful as it is for both of them - and does one thing right.
Finch chapter 1 . 8/4/2002
What this interior monologue suggests is that Maglor was, in fact, doomed the moment he was born as a son of Feanor. That's both extremely disturbing and extremely saddening. But I think he does make a decision in the end: not between fulfilling or not fulfilling the Oath, but between freeing Elrond of himself or drawing him inside his own doom.

I would like to think they'll meet again, some time in the distant future, and I have a feeling you would be the right person to describe such an encounter.
vorondis1 chapter 1 . 8/3/2002
I think I agree with Maeve Riannon: this story is better than your other Elrond/Maglor fic.

Feanor/Maglor/Elrond: L'histoire se repete (sorry, can't do accents). But does Maglor's decision to leave him and submit himself to Maedhros in the end save Elrond, or push him along further on the way to suffering?
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 8/3/2002
Maglor's moved a little further towards madness, I think. _ I am glad you wrote this. I would love to see something between the two, perhaps after the world is re-Made?
Aerlinnel chapter 1 . 8/2/2002
I'm having this terrible premonition (alert: 95% chance of plotbunnies!) that Elrond, when he wakes and finds his lover gone, may very easily slip back into his original resentment/hatred of Maglor that it took so long to get over in the first place. Poor guys! :-(
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 8/2/2002
Hey, STOP! How many stories are you going to post at the same time? I havent got time to read them! And, there, I wished to put this one in my favourites list too, but its full and youll have to wait, Im afraid. Or perhaps Ill replace the other for this one? Hmmm, this is even better than the first.

This is the only story Im going to review today, cause Im tired after posting the first chapter of my story about Aredhel and Eöl, oops [[banner against self- advertisings]] Yes, yes, Ive understood.

Well, now seriously, I like this best because Maglors POV is a lot more interesting, for the way you draw his character is amazing. You seem to have captured the very essence of Fëanorians...all of them. The Maglor that has to leave Elrond without even a word of farewell is particularly touching. His thoughts are particularly well woven, too. I know how difficult it is to write down someones thoughts but you seem to have no problems with it! Très bien achevé, ma petite!

And now, what? Are you going to write another from Elros POV, as you have hinted? Im looking forward to see it...but wait a little, give me time to recover! arfff
Furius chapter 1 . 8/1/2002
*take a deep breath* Love that relationship of Maglor and Feanor, I'll refrain from commenting on anything else.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 8/1/2002
Well, that was certainly upsetting. Do you mean to say that Maglor's romantic love for someone who had been his forster-son was connected to a romanticization/sexualization of his relationship with his father? In other words, he loved Elrond the way his father loved him - unable to distinguish completely between the fatherly and the sexual. This is unfortunately all too plausible. Feanor is the master of bad boundaries. And it doesn't make Maglor's love for Elrond any less real, to know Maglor was hurt this way...it's just sad. I wonder if Elrond had any idea who his rival was.