Reviews for Going It Alone
Guest chapter 1 . 2/27/2015
Wow-what an accurate (and still flattering) analysis of Granny Weatherwax, my all-time favorite Discworld character. Your language and tone were perfect, and you have managed to create an honest-but-affectionate-description, rather than a caricature.
Now, I have to go see what else you've posted-I'm missing out!
GeoffG chapter 1 . 1/12/2014
Having read Certainties I was impressed enough to look back at your previous DW writing. This is as good as anything I have read on the site. You have caught the style perfectly - Esme especially. Some of the lines are memorable. The final line is just amazing. I do hope you get inspired to write more on the Witches. Thank you.
NotMarge chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
Oh, you've caught Granny Weatherwax's aura so well! Brilliant writing, by the way. Dialogue is great - I could hear them saying those words.
Laruna8 chapter 1 . 1/2/2014
I'm a little disappointed to be perfectly honest. This is the first discworld fanfic i have ever read and well.. i have a feeling that the ones to follow aren't going to live up to the level of expectation you just set. This was very nicely done. Weatherwax was in perfect character. In some parts, especially in the scene where she confronts the fairy queen, i actually got a sense that this is what could have been going through Pratchett's mind as he wrote. The only thing that was (mildly) disappointing was when you cut so quickly away from the witchmaking of Weatherwax. I get the whole one part one scene thing you had going on, but i really felt as if you left that particular scene too quickly. Other than that, i have to say that both the line about marriage had me snickering and wanting to put it up on my wall in some inconspicuous place where my fiancee is sure to see it. My next favorite line? the last one. It is so compleately and utterly Weatherwax that i'm half positive that it came out of the books somewhere and i just cant remember where. Very good job overall, and please continue the good work.
Nightfall Rising chapter 1 . 8/1/2013
Wonderful unsentimental solitude (or not, take it or leave it).
mirrorballsymphony chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
There aren't enough Esme Weatherwax stories about, so I'm glad I found this one. Very funny and sad in places, but both sides written really well :)
Marcus Rowland chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
That feels right to me - enjoyed it a lot.
Illuin chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Oh wow. I absolutely love it. Thank you for making me smile with the humour and for making me grin at just how accurate you are when it comes to Esme Weatherwax
Guest chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Great little story left me wanting more.
pennylehane chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
This captured Esme's youth really well. I'm actually rather jealous. Not sure what to make of Gytha, but I love Mustrum. And Lily was hilarious at the beginning.
hervissa chapter 1 . 1/22/2013
Esme, Esme. Such an amazing character. And this fic is amazing too :) I just love the scene when she goes to Nanny Gripes' lawn xD
Keep writing!

herviussa :)
Daring Melody chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
Wonderful addition. True to the characters and feel of the world.
starsandstillness chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
Well done! Excellent characterization, and excellent Pratchett-esq humor. My favorite line: "A marriage was like a cottage: you found a good foundation, built something that seemed like it would hold together, and then worked on the annoying creaks and leaky bits until they either went away or you got used to them." Thanks for loving this character as much as I do.
Glosswen chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
That's Esme. I would have liked to read more about her getting the witch to ask, though.
Mary Craig chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
Beautiful :-) and so spot on. Your story really meshes with the characters we think we know.
Thank you for writing, and posting; reading it has been a very contented way to sit down and enjoy over a cuppa.

Kind regards,