Reviews for So that the world might be mended
masamunexyamato chapter 31 . 8/25/2014
I just wanted to say that this was one of the best fanfictions of demon souls and dark souls that I have had the pleasure of reading. I can only hope that you can write more in this series.
Arienne Grange chapter 31 . 8/24/2014
wow. i really love your writing. the way this story ends is both sad and beautiful. im a little sad that this story is over, but im glad that it was completed. i loved all the characters and your personal twists to the game . never stop writing!
Varbos chapter 31 . 8/24/2014
I do love a happy ending, more so in such a sad, wondering tale.
Transfigurator chapter 31 . 8/24/2014
Without a doubt, I'm glad I found this story and stick with it despite long hiatuses. I was definitely worth the wait. One of the best stories I've read not only on but ever.

Compelling from first chapter to the last. Characters were lovable and ending moved me to tears. I simply lack words to describe it, but this was magnificent and I regret nothing :D
Caimthehero chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
Wow! I took a few weeks off from Fanfiction and one of my favorite stories not only got a few updates but is completed! Time to leave a long review. (Minimal spoilers ahead)

Setting- Very similar to the game. It was done in a pretty simplistic style for the most part, which is completely fine if you played the game and know the areas. It might be lacking a bit for those who haven't seen the images while playing through demon souls. However there are some better moments of world building like in the memory trip or in the final chapter. Final tally 8.

Characters- A category that is especially hard to rate for this work. Most of the characters are detailed fairly well. Nameless as the protagonist get fantastic development as does Ostrava. Characters that were done well include Mephistopheles (who's back story is astounding), Freke (which utilizes his flaws in a superb way), Garl & Astrea who questioned the ideas of right and wrong and what means are acceptable for a greater motive, and the dark horse Yurt, who in my opinion was the most fascinating character to watch in this story and handled with magnificent precision.
Characters that were a bit lacking include Yuria (she was a bit scattered in characterization and seemed to shift personality a bit, which if you know the deep lore of the game is understandable but for those who don't, like random readers, it needed expansion as to why she would shift so quickly when a threat is present), the maiden who was a little too predictable (but had great plot value to adjust for that), and Bior who again was stereotypical (although his genre savvy side was a nice addition). Final Tally 9.

Conflict- Where this story shines the brightest! The plot seems to be meticulously planned and edited to near perfection. There are two main arcs the Yuria and Ostrava arcs as I like to refer to them. Yuria's might be a little filler but is still a great read (Mainly for Yurt. He is awesome). The story hits its peak in Ostravas arc. The themes of identity and resolve (even in daunting odds) are present throughout and add a human quality to the story. Readers could easily identify with Nameless's thought process and could even question themselves about the meaning of identity or the pursuit of Pyrrhic victories. It has the rare quality of being able to hold suspense throughout the story to keep the reader yearning for more. Amazing. Final Tally 10.

Resolution- It was obvious that the ending had been planned out before the story was started. It was that good. I can't expand too much upon it without stating too many spoilers but how all the characters having full closure is something I find very rare in any work. If there was any complaint was that the first arc was a little more predictable if you played the game and knew where it had to go to finish in the end. The story finishes with a satisfied feeling of having read a great story. Final Tally 10.

Dialogue- While there are some hammy moments (Nameless and Ostrava in particular) most of the interactions seem to be very realistic for the setting. A special mention has to be made to a few characters. Yuria in the climax of her arc shows a full range of emotion through voice. Freke's logical words were captivating to read. Bior who was surprisingly savvy while a thick skulled badass. Urbain who played his role well (bias for Yurt interaction). Then the man who gets the best lines in the story Yurt. I am a liar, I already made you a promise, I wanted to apologize, his entire interaction with fire. Villains will often get the best lines and his made the Yuria arc. Final Tally 10

Overall- This story is superb. A must read if you are a fan of one of the following Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1&2, Dark Fantasy, or the English language. I will treasure this story until the Hollowing process wipes it clean from my memory. Thank you for sharing this with us Maichen.
Overall Rating 9.5
Recommendation- Did you even read the review!? Hell yes! Bring the author more souls!
The.Cypher808 chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
Damn what a way to end the story, thanks a lot that was some great work. Its been a long journey but I'm glad to see that Nameless finally gets to rest, and I'm also really glad that he and the Candle Maiden weren't seperated. Haha but anyways awesome job this is orobably one of the best fanfics I've read in a while and I'll be excited to see what you bring to the table for your next stories I'm sure they will great!

Praise the Sun!

- Cypher
undeadyeti chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
This story is now in my head as the cannon way Demons's Souls ended thank you profusely for sharing this with us all thank you.
rc48177 chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
cool. I hope you do a chapter when they wake up. that would be cool
Darklink1011 chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
have to say i love the ending.
it leaves it both concluded and slightly open ended.
plus i love the tie in with the title of the story.
The Night Hunter chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
I not happy and sad. Both for the same reason that this masterpiece ended. Great finish, I have to say that this was one of the best stories I've read on this whole site. I will surely miss it but I can always read it again. I really hope for some follow up chapter or two because I really want more of that.
I hope that you writer another story here.
I wish you best luck with your proffesional writting.
Night Hunter
Eric Soo chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
Maichen M,

Thank you for leading us through this journey. "So that the world might be mended" is even better than the game; I will surely re-read this in the future. Bless you for the time you have invested in this story. It is an inspiration for me to continue writing, and I look forward to reading your future literary endeavors.
Hecatonchir of Athena chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
Good Ending. I'm looking forward to your next work.
ArmorOfGeddon chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
Beautiful. Thank you for fleshing out one of my favorite games... and somehow managing to wrangle a happy ending out of one of the most grimdark fictional worlds I have ever played through. This has been a blast and I'm grateful you amanged to finish it.
Kiue Jin chapter 31 . 8/23/2014
*All he can do is clap.* This... was beautiful.

A part of me wishes that this was how Demon Souls ended and I believe a part of me will accept this as a kind of head cannon. Thank you for writing this.
Transfigurator chapter 29 . 8/21/2014
Ok. I finally got access to this chapter.

And that's an intense one, altough False King defeated by "The Power Of Friendship TM" somehow amused me XD.
Biorr was a damn Terminator XD but sadly both him and Ostrava had to die to stay close to canon.

And that means no happy ending for the Nameless and Maiden as well. But opposing to what Allant said now, you get Maiden's soul when you don't kill her, for whatever reason. But it's still just a weak consolation prize for the loss of the cute lady ;_;

Either way, I'm waiting for the final chapter eagerly. But I'm pretty sure I will tear up reading it :C
166 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »