Reviews for Hopeless
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 7/3
Millicent doesn't 'get' Hermione or Pansy, nor is she required to, though it would help if she could. But she's only twelve, and time does help being able to see through the eyes of others.

She does have rather a crush on Professor Sprout (would bet twenty Galleons Neville does too), though I suspect she might be very surprised at what either Snape or McGonagall could come up with in the way of hexes (or Sprout herself for that matter).

But again, the way she thinks is pretty normal for her age, and we shall judge her gently for it.

Although if this is her second year, perhaps she's had the joy of watching Snape put Gildylocks into low Earth orbit (and probably cheered with the rest of the school when it happened).
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 7/2
Bindweed-is that the WW term for Johnson grass? (the Johnson grass didn't actually scream or try to pin me, but I think it was just as much work).

And I love what Millicent said to Neville about hurting things being a rather good thing to be hopeless at.
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 6/30
"Not like a sister, no. In a different way. But it was real love."

Just those few lines speak volumes about hearts and love and knowing even if it's not quite what you wanted, that it *was* real love.

Oh, my, yes. I don't think Millie will ever be hopeless at love.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 6/29
I love this! I understand about the sturdy bit (I'm kind of a 'miniature' sturdy if that makes any sense).

And I adore her attitude both toward Auntie Enna and Pansy Parkinson.

I know I would like her Granny Hendershot.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 6 . 6/16/2013
Very late to the party here, as Real Life So Called has been overwhelming of late. I like the openness of this ending, how Millie has learned something about herself, about her own reactions - and sometimes what helps the most is to have a trusted mentor name what one is feeling.

I find myself quite curious as to what did happen the next year (and after), and at the same time quite satisfied with the way that the story came round to an ending.
0rigami chapter 6 . 2/1/2013
Nice story, altough it lacks a complete ending. Tough ill admit it would be hard to create one ex-novo, without support from the canon.
madeyemarauder chapter 5 . 1/27/2013
Wouldn't a few eyebrows hit the ceiling if she invited Colin Creevey.
madeyemarauder chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
The last two words are a bit hopeless: the story's going so well. But it's your story, so if it has to be the end, we can only grin and bear it.
boredperson7 chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
I can't believe this story is finished. You did well, I loved it.
BP
Swallow B chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
Still very convincing: it is indeed very probable that Milly's father would have been threatened by Voldemort's return. Aunt Enna's letter makes a lot of sense to explain Millys's behaviour.

This story manages to end on a warm note, despite the terrible things that are happening. Milly has found a friend and mentor in Professor Sprout, so, in a way, she will be all leave us thinking about what is to come, and that is not a bad thing. It may inspire some more good fics.

Very good and positive portrait of Millicent and also of Pomona Sprout.
Guest chapter 6 . 1/24/2013
I really enjoyed that. I would love to see the story from Sprout or Neville's point of view.
mountainmoira chapter 6 . 1/23/2013
Thank you so much for this - as you so often do, you've peeled away the layers of familiar facades and given us a portrait of a real person - and one that many of us could be happy to know. I've not seen Millie so beautifully portrayed anywhere else. Brava!
Swallow B chapter 5 . 1/22/2013
I forgot to mention how much more mature Neville's approach to the ball was, than harry and Ron's. He invites girls he is on friendly terms with, who have a chance of responding positively, instead of some beautiful girl he fantasizes about.

It's good that you have Professor Sprout telling Millicent she can invite a friend, and a girl. Though I don't think Professor McGonagall actually said boys should invite girls, that was very much the way everybody understood it. No offence to the other Heads of Houses, the Hufflepuffs are lucky to have Pomona.
Swallow B chapter 5 . 1/22/2013
I have given a lot of thought about the Slytherin side of the Yule Ball and my opinion was that Millicent didn't go, nor did Theo Nott. (I would certainly not have, when I was fourteen.) Professor Sprout's reflection, that "it's ridiculous to make boys and girls pair off like this" when they are young and unprepared, was one of my friends' reaction too. I am trying to imagine Dumbledore saying "It's Tradition", with that twinkle of his (and I bet he said it with a capital T, even though Sprout didn't). Tradition is a big issue with wizards, as it is with a lot of people. I suppose it has pros and cons. One of the pros being that Ron noticed Hermione was a girl.

Anyway, the ball gave us comic relief.

I like the Singing Christmas Crocuses, nice idea.

The last line left me laughing, imagining the scene.

I don't see my interpretaion of Daphne going to the ball with Milly, (not for another ten years at least), but as this is a different story, I have no idea what to expect...
Vera Rozalsky chapter 5 . 1/21/2013
I adore this picture of the Yule Ball, again from behind the scenes. You capture so well the raw awkwardness of the preliminary pairing-off; Neville's solidity, in spite of his embarrassment, and the glimpse of all sorts of private jokes and stories among the professors. "I haven't laughed so much since Professor Flitwick..." and no we don't learn the story, though the broken-off hint tells worlds. Not to mention, of course, that fleeting glimpse of young Minerva McGonagall.

And this description:
"Yes, Millicent thought, Professor Sprout knew how to have a good time.

For some reason, this realisation made her feel odd, as if her clothes suddenly didn't quite fit. She didn't understand it, and when Longbottom glanced over at her, she glared at him."