Reviews for Hopeless
Vera Rozalsky chapter 6 . 6/16/2013
Very late to the party here, as Real Life So Called has been overwhelming of late. I like the openness of this ending, how Millie has learned something about herself, about her own reactions - and sometimes what helps the most is to have a trusted mentor name what one is feeling.

I find myself quite curious as to what did happen the next year (and after), and at the same time quite satisfied with the way that the story came round to an ending.
0rigami chapter 6 . 2/1/2013
Nice story, altough it lacks a complete ending. Tough ill admit it would be hard to create one ex-novo, without support from the canon.
madeyemarauder chapter 5 . 1/27/2013
Wouldn't a few eyebrows hit the ceiling if she invited Colin Creevey.
madeyemarauder chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
The last two words are a bit hopeless: the story's going so well. But it's your story, so if it has to be the end, we can only grin and bear it.
boredperson7 chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
I can't believe this story is finished. You did well, I loved it.
BP
Swallow B chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
Still very convincing: it is indeed very probable that Milly's father would have been threatened by Voldemort's return. Aunt Enna's letter makes a lot of sense to explain Millys's behaviour.

This story manages to end on a warm note, despite the terrible things that are happening. Milly has found a friend and mentor in Professor Sprout, so, in a way, she will be all leave us thinking about what is to come, and that is not a bad thing. It may inspire some more good fics.

Very good and positive portrait of Millicent and also of Pomona Sprout.
Guest chapter 6 . 1/24/2013
I really enjoyed that. I would love to see the story from Sprout or Neville's point of view.
mountainmoira chapter 6 . 1/23/2013
Thank you so much for this - as you so often do, you've peeled away the layers of familiar facades and given us a portrait of a real person - and one that many of us could be happy to know. I've not seen Millie so beautifully portrayed anywhere else. Brava!
Swallow B chapter 5 . 1/22/2013
I forgot to mention how much more mature Neville's approach to the ball was, than harry and Ron's. He invites girls he is on friendly terms with, who have a chance of responding positively, instead of some beautiful girl he fantasizes about.

It's good that you have Professor Sprout telling Millicent she can invite a friend, and a girl. Though I don't think Professor McGonagall actually said boys should invite girls, that was very much the way everybody understood it. No offence to the other Heads of Houses, the Hufflepuffs are lucky to have Pomona.
Swallow B chapter 5 . 1/22/2013
I have given a lot of thought about the Slytherin side of the Yule Ball and my opinion was that Millicent didn't go, nor did Theo Nott. (I would certainly not have, when I was fourteen.) Professor Sprout's reflection, that "it's ridiculous to make boys and girls pair off like this" when they are young and unprepared, was one of my friends' reaction too. I am trying to imagine Dumbledore saying "It's Tradition", with that twinkle of his (and I bet he said it with a capital T, even though Sprout didn't). Tradition is a big issue with wizards, as it is with a lot of people. I suppose it has pros and cons. One of the pros being that Ron noticed Hermione was a girl.

Anyway, the ball gave us comic relief.

I like the Singing Christmas Crocuses, nice idea.

The last line left me laughing, imagining the scene.

I don't see my interpretaion of Daphne going to the ball with Milly, (not for another ten years at least), but as this is a different story, I have no idea what to expect...
Vera Rozalsky chapter 5 . 1/21/2013
I adore this picture of the Yule Ball, again from behind the scenes. You capture so well the raw awkwardness of the preliminary pairing-off; Neville's solidity, in spite of his embarrassment, and the glimpse of all sorts of private jokes and stories among the professors. "I haven't laughed so much since Professor Flitwick..." and no we don't learn the story, though the broken-off hint tells worlds. Not to mention, of course, that fleeting glimpse of young Minerva McGonagall.

And this description:
"Yes, Millicent thought, Professor Sprout knew how to have a good time.

For some reason, this realisation made her feel odd, as if her clothes suddenly didn't quite fit. She didn't understand it, and when Longbottom glanced over at her, she glared at him."
Vera Rozalsky chapter 4 . 1/21/2013
Close to the bone, for many of us: Millicent thinks on the business of being a misfit, and slowly finds her own way. I like the picture of her and Neville as part of the behind-the-scenes effort with the mandrakes.

What charms here is Sprout's insight into Hermione and Pansy both, and Millicent's chivalry on behalf of her new favorite teacher: "She was too busy imagining how she would burst in on Snape and McGonagall when they tried to hex Professor Sprout, how she would take them by surprise and shout "Expelliarmus!" and then when their wands flew out of their hands, she would tackle whoever was nearest and knock them down flat. It wouldn't be hard: Snape was so skinny and McGonagall was old.

She'd probably be expelled, but it would be worth it, because Professor Sprout would be so happy and grateful to her. "You saved me, Millicent, my dear," she would say, and she'd pat Millicent's arm the way she sometimes did. "Whatever would I do without you?'
Vera Rozalsky chapter 3 . 1/21/2013
I am late in reviewing, but that means I have the pleasure of savoring three chapters again, as I figure out what I liked. I must say I'm rapidly falling in love with this story.

"… they both liked to laugh, and then Professor Sprout was always telling the class to "Think! Come on, dears, you can figure it out!" - - which was like Granny, too."

And now you have given us a portrait of the kind of teacher we all wish we'd had; humorous and encouraging and down-to-earth.

Our Millicent has a sharp eye for how bullies work:
"That was always Pansy's way, to pull other girls into her orbit and then urge them to gang up on somebody else."

Millicent's vigorous approach to the bindweed, followed by Neville's:
"Longbottom, meanwhile, gave his strand a timid little tug; Millicent could have sworn she heard the plant chuckle. Or maybe that was Professor Sprout." (Sex stereotypes go sailing merrily out the window here, as Your Humble Reader also has a chuckle.) And then Neville's concern for the plant's feelings in the matter, which brands him as 'hopeless' in much the way that Millie is…

And then I step back again to meta-level, aerial view, and question why Neville is written so very much _less frequently_ than some characters who actually have fewer lines in canon …

"Oh, okay," Neville said. "It's just. . .I'm hopeless when it comes to hurting things." Foreshadowing, that, of his rebellion in the seventh year.
Moira chapter 5 . 1/20/2013
Adults have real lives? Surely not... don't they just sit about and drink tea or wash out their socks when there's no one about ? Ah, the naivety of youth. And our Milicent - just starting to sort out certain of her feelings eh? Won't she be surprised when the pieces start to fit.
Swallow B chapter 3 . 1/19/2013
Young Millicent just as I imagine have developed her voice, personality and experiences in a very interesting way. I think I'll adopt this as my canon.

"All the grown-ups had made it sound like Hogwarts was the greatest thing since Merlin, but (...) it was just more school." So true and Milly would be the one to point that out. I am not sure I would have enjoyed Hogwarts, myself.

Pomona is a bit of a motherlike figure (but only a bit), just as I imagine her to be, full of Hufflepuff wisdom and understanding. Exactly what Millicent needs.

No one can walk away from this story thinking Millicent is stupid, which is the greatest thing of all, really. It's about time someone wrote a good story about this kind of anti-heroine.