Reviews for A Shot in the Dark
Sue Clover chapter 41 . 6/16/2015
Oh, wow. Well, they did get to rescue him. From a tower, no less. Did I mention earlier how much I'm loving this story? I'll say it again. It's awesome.
Oh, Bilbo. It's going to be okay. It's really not good that Sauron devoured a part of your soul, but we'll get around that, somehow. Otherwise, what would be the point of the story?
It was so creepy how... normal... Sauron sounded. It was almost like he absorbed part of Bilbo's personality, too, like his sense of humour... Oooh, that would be terrifying. The Great Evil One, with all the power of sarcasm and blunt irreverence at his disposal. Nothing would be safe.
I always like this sort of time travel story, not sure why. It's just so much fun, when the main character knows everything you know and you both know together everything that happened before and everything that no one else in the story knows, and the angst! The character gets to see all the people they loved and hated before, ones who they lost they get to see again, and try to change the outcome. At any rate, it's always fun. It can be boring sometimes, when the author doesn't change enough and ends up mostly repeating all of the dialogue and events from the original, but this one isn't like that at all. It's all fresh and new and I almost like it better than the original, though I only really read the Hobbit once in middle school and I'm in college now so it hardly counts.
Anyway, I liked reading the LotR trilogy in HS. I think Dad would call it a milieu, which means it has lots of description and is more a story about the setting than it is about the characters. I mean there's a plot, but the trilogy really is more about Middle Earth and its people than it is about Frodo and the ring. Lots of people don't like all the description but I did. Anyway, your story kind of reminds me of that but in the opposite way. As in, it's like a milieu of the characters. That is probably an oxymoron or something, but whatever. But it's not really about the plot to kill Smaug, not as much as it is an exploration of the characters. I don't think I've ever really gotten to know the Dwarves very much, never cared that much about them because I couldn't even tell most of them apart. In the movies I got to care for some of them, esp. Thorin, but it was still hard to distinguish most of the others. But now I feel as if I know each and every one of them, and I care, a lot, because Bilbo cares, and it's beautiful and I love them all and I love how they love Bilbo, and I love the Thorin/Bilbo ship now and I will never be able to not see it whenever I re-watch the movies because you made their love so beautiful to me.
So I just thought I'd say that now because it was all in my head and I wanted to tell you how cool this story is. Anyway. I hope Bilbo remembers more soon because he never got the chance to yell at Thorin about the beads and not telling him what it meant, and I want him to yell at Thorin for not telling him.
Sue Clover chapter 38 . 6/15/2015
Oh, boy. This is not good. Well, now Thorin gets to rescue his maiden. That'll be fun. And it won't matter that Bilbo doesn't remember the other way into Mordor because he'll have a free pass through the front gate. Of course he's likely to get tortured or worse along with his free pass, but what can you do?
Are the others really dead? Oh gods I hope not. That would really be bad, wouldn't it? I would probably be mad at you.
I kept thinking it was stupid of him to give the ring to Gollum, that the others were going to find him and rescue him in time and then he'd say that he couldn't take it to Mordor now because he thought he was going to die and gave the ring back to Gollum. But then nobody saved him and he was captured by Ringwraiths, and it all makes sense now. Boy, this is getting dark.
Sol chapter 3 . 6/15/2015
I love your story so much, I'm rereading it! thanks for such fantastic writing.
Sue Clover chapter 31 . 6/15/2015
Okay, how does he not know the other way into Mordor? Did Frodo not tell him that part? That's unfortunate.
So, this new fellowship is small, but already it's cute. I like them. But I wish the Dwarves would catch up to them already. I thought the Dwarves would go to Mordor with him. I know he felt he had to leave right away after that dream and several ofthe Dwarves are wounded and can't be moved, but damn it they're supposed to be there! They are going to be so mad when they find his letters. But it would be sort of disappointing if they caught him trying to leave and went with him and never got a chance to read the letters; he put so much work into them.
Sue Clover chapter 21 . 6/15/2015
So, is it the Arkenstone? It's weird, because he's not being possessive of the Stone, not really, he's being possessive of Bilbo, and that's because he's in love with him? Are they connected? I suppose it's not just because he's in love, because you're right and normally he wouldn't do things like this. I'm confused. Anyway, I know Bilbo will figure it out. And hopefully they will all be able to survive the coming battle.
Sue Clover chapter 19 . 6/15/2015
So. Many. Feels.
Sue Clover chapter 17 . 6/15/2015
Oh, and I forgot about this in the last review but I need to mention it. Weary means tired, as in "He rubbed his weary eyes and wished he could go to bed," and wary means cautious, as in beware, and aware, and "be wary when you face the dragon or it'll burn your face off." So many fanfiction authors don't seem to have those two straight, and it bothers me. Other than that, your grammar is pretty good.
And oh, my gods, Bilbo is so oblivious, and Thorin is too, except that how could he possibly know? How could he know that the person Bilbo loved before him *was* him? How could he know that he didn't learn Elvish before this mission, but after it? It doesn't make sense, so of course he's oblivious. But Bilbo is oblivious because he's afraid, and I hope soon he learns not to be. Because even if it wasn't proper the other Dwarves on this mission would never say a word against it, and would defend them to the last if anyone else spoke a word against it, because they love their king and they love their Hobbit. And it's beautiful.
That ring is really starting to freak me out, though. I was worried to begin with, because Bilbo's already lived with the thing for years. He had it whispering in his mind for years and years, and in the end he almost couldn't give it up, and when he snarled at Gandalf for trying to make him it scared me. And now he's carrying it again, and it worries me. And now it knows he's in love with Thorin, and I know he's strong enough to handle it but I'm scared.
Sue Clover chapter 16 . 6/15/2015
By the way, if I've not said this before, I'm loving this story. The last chapter or two have been brilliant, as I couldn't stop giggling at how cute Thorin and Bilbo are. Even before that, it gave me so many feels. SO. MANY. FEELS. And now there are simply more. Thank you for being awesome.
Guest chapter 50 . 6/7/2015
I literally crying I love you
Tataru chapter 50 . 5/17/2015
A very satisfying story. Couldn't put it down at all.
Perry chapter 18 . 5/17/2015
I'm so glad I decided to read this! And the hug at the end of this chapter! It makes me so happy!
Amazing story so far!
Tataru chapter 33 . 5/17/2015
I can't put this story down. I've laughed and cried and I'm barely half way through it. Not a boring chapter to be found and I've spent my whole weekend reading it. Thank you for sharing this with the world, a great read.
Katzztar chapter 18 . 5/11/2015
I am really loving the change of events here. Love that Kili is the one to kill Smaug, some poetic justice there. I mean, the dwarrow lost more then the Men to the dragon, their homeland (sure Men lost Dale but they still lived in same location, never did have to wander like the dwarrow)I always thought they deserved to get the kill to avenge their losses.
that.. and I just didn't like the movie version of Bard. Sure he was worried about his kids but still to say Thorin had no right to the mountain... bleargh
Katzztar chapter 12 . 5/3/2015
LOL at the interaction of Nori, Dori and Bilbo ... esp how Nori used Bilbo to deflect Dori!
Bilbo should have told Thorin what he wants is friendship, for its what's golden for hobbits.
Omaima.M chapter 50 . 5/1/2015
I loved this story, it was soo well written and I adored the banter and wittiness everyone seemed to have. Please do write a sequel to this or Anyother story with Bilbo/Thorin And the company. It really was pretty amazing.
2,467 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »