Reviews for Change of Engagement
AHHHHH I'M SCREAMING that was beautiful! I think it's safe for me to say that since the date was the last thing I read, it had to be the thing that stuck out in my mind most. My heart started racing as I watched Minato and Mitsuru, and I have too many happy feels to really express how it all happened. I also loved how Yukari and Fuuka helped out with Mitsuru's dress. I will have to agree with them that seeing them spend time with each other to do 'normal' stuff without too much formality is something that has to happen again. Put short, I loved the end of this chapter.

But not to say that the rest of the chapter wasn't anything noteworthy. I think I'm going to have to say that one of my other favourite parts is actually when Shinjiro is being 'senpai' to Fuuka, Junpei and Yukari and Ken. It's nice to see him get more of a spotlight and I love the change in tone that you get from his narration. I think the one that stuck out to me was the 'red paste' expression. It just seemed so much like something he'd say, and the expansion of the characters' backstories with some of your own additions (I don't believe Ken ever mentioned a father, or what happened to him, but even though I'm fairly certain that in the game he said something along the lines of 'It was just me and my mum') were interesting to read about. I love the new depth that came out of it. Also, the banter between Shinji and Yukari was kinda funny in its own way, even though the subject matter was heavy. I have to love how they just don't /mesh/ that well with each other, even though they mean well.

I think also my last favourite part is... It's actually the bit when Mitsuru is talking to her dad (also adorable the way she calls him 'dad' rather than 'father' like she usually does in game). I couldn't help but tear up a little when I read Mitsuru's send-off to him. I feel like it's a relationship that didn't get that much attention in the game, but it was just heart-warming overall. Absolutely loved it.

I mean, all in all the chapter was amazing, and I don't think I saw anything that really bugged me. Really, awesome job and keep it up! Reading this always brings me a smile.
Boi chapter 11 . 1/9
Perfect chapter. Still, Death Flag for Mitsuru's father has been raised so high I'm sure even Nyx would be able to see it. Keep up the good work.
jtesauro chapter 11 . 12/31/2016
Enjoyed this chapter a lot. Regarding the date buildup, I could see where it was going, but each scene built well leading up to the chapter climax.

You also addressed one of the major things that always bothered me in both Persona 3 and Persona 4; the lack of interaction between the Velvet Room and the party outside the Contractor. The scenes there reminded me a lot of Neil Gaiman's work on The Sandman and American Gods, or the Hoid character from Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, the idea of these characters that exist within the confines of the specific function they were made to carry out, and there being laws to govern them like anything else. They're not allies or enemies strictly, they may even have genuine relationships with the heroes, but their ultimate loyalty is their own functions or agenda. Things that hint to the larger cosmology are always welcome, even if those details never make it into the narrative, they help make the setting more real.

Plus more Elizabeth and Margaret is never a bad thing. Observation; There were a few points where Mitsuru identified things Minato had been keeping from her, ( The existence of Pharos, the Violet Room itself ) and that she would want some answers. It didn't seem like those were addressed directly in this chapter. So is that something to come back to later in the narrative? I could also see leaving it out as it may not be data the reader actually NEEDS to keep things moving forward.

Lastly, quote from Hoid in case you're not familiar. I hadn't realized but there's an awful lot of potential overlap there.

"What does the story mean, then?"
"It means what you want it to mean," Hoid said. "The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think , but to give you questions to think upon. Too often, we forget that.”

Anyway, great work, thoroughly enjoyed it and glad to see this is still going.
Kirijo Senpai chapter 11 . 12/27/2016
Best date i've read from the two of them yet
zainethedemonking chapter 11 . 12/27/2016
I adored every piece of this chapter, can't get enough of this.
Xoraan chapter 11 . 12/27/2016
So glad to hear from you, your chapters always bring something to look forward to.

The velvet room part was a surprise, hardly any persona fan fictions based on games 3 and 4 even introduce the other characters to the residents of the velvet room. Igor was represented well but the gold star goes to Elizabeth bringing levity to the very heavy conversation.

Shinjiro is certainly more involved in the story than he was in the game and it's an interesting addition. I enjoy Fuuka's interaction with him, their interest in cooking was an excellent launch point to establish their relationship. Yukari on the other hand came a little from the left field with her troubled relationship with her mother, not something I imagine her sharing with Shinjiro given the amount of interaction they've had so far.

Ken's history was however very heavy and engaging. The game did not expand much with his relationship or lack of a relationship with his father, most assume he was raised by a single mother. I'm impressed with the direction you've taken, it certainly adds another layer of depth to Ken's character.

The date was pleasing, both in Mitsuru's nervous demeanor towards a new kind of relationship and Minato's encouragement of her trying new things. These scenes are opportunities to expand on not just the relationship between the two, but also the readers connection to both the relationship and the characters themselves. Glad to see you haven't lost your touch.

Also, keep up Akihiko's ribbing and teasing. Those are some of my favorite bits.
TheCogentGent chapter 11 . 12/26/2016
Sappy
Ramix chapter 11 . 12/25/2016
Hoo. Hoo boy. Oh my. Holy shit. That was the good shit. Mhmmm. MHMMMMMMMMMM. Sign me the FUCK up.

I don't really have anything constructive to say about this chapter so lets just skip to the gushing, shall we?

HOLY SHIT THE MEETING WITH ELIZABETH AND IGOR WAS SO GOOD! I'm so glad to see that take place, since it seems like one of those things that you play through the game and go "WHY DON'T THEY JUST MENTION THIS". Seeing Elizabeth interact with Mitsuru was really nice and her interactions with Komomaru gave me diabetes. Shinji was such a wonderful senpai and I loved all of his interactions, you're really doing wonders for his character here.

And oh my GOD Mitsuru's dad. That was amazing there were so many ways that could have gone wrong but it went wonderfully and when she talked about having a relationship I had to hide my face in my pillow and giggle and the way he reacted was so sweet and seeing their relationship in a way that the game never really explored is SO wonderful and SO satisfying and its going to make it SO much worse when he inevitably dies. Fuck.

The date segment was really wonderful, it was a great payoff to a lot of buildup.

Great work! I eagerly await more.
Regis JN chapter 11 . 12/25/2016
Sappy and Shinjiro.
Reginleif2004 chapter 11 . 12/25/2016
Good chapter, really enjoyed it. And in response to your response to Ramix in the Author's Note at the top, I would argue that the price Minato pays for having such awesome power is becoming the Great Seal in the end, like selling his future and his bonds (because Persona is big on that) to be able to use his strength. Just my own conjecture on the topic of power having a price in this situation.
Gallian Squad 7 chapter 11 . 12/25/2016
Sap, all the way. I require sappy goodness to function as a human being! It is good to see this update after so long though,and a Merry Christmas to you as well!
Cachilla chapter 10 . 5/24/2016
Hey, absolutely loving this story, i cane into this pretty skeptical but i was pleasantly surprised. i noticed that there is a bit of a gap since last update, take your time but i really hope this fic isn't rip. well i hope things go well for you you beautiful person.
zainethedemonking chapter 10 . 4/19/2016
Man why does this have to be unfinished, it's so damn good.
zainethedemonking chapter 4 . 4/19/2016
It's official I'm totally hooked on this story now, I absolutely love Minatos personality and all of his interactions.

This is now my all time favorite Persona 3 fic no contest.
kungfootitan chapter 10 . 3/9/2016
A chapter well done. I had figured it was a character not properly introduced in P3, (to be honest I initially thought it to be Labrys, and then another certain character), but it seemed you managed a very good story twist and exceeded my expectations.

C'est magnifique!

I'm curious though, there was a certain phrase you were comfortable with but I'm not familiar to. "A bit in their teeth"? Or something.