Reviews for Small Beginnings
Child of Dreams chapter 1 . 7/23
Thorin?
johnsarmylady chapter 1 . 12/8/2015
Very moving - I love that Balin visited...and the the Sackville-Bagginses had their noses tweaked (metaphorically speaking) ;-)
Augmented Pirate chapter 1 . 7/1/2013
Aawww this almost made me cry i love how you had Bilbo stand up to those jerks. They have no right to make Frodo cry! Ro right :T i loved this story very much good job
Guest chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
AHHHH! The line, "But Gandalf, I've never met a dwarf before" was ADORABLE, and then I almost teared up when he was crying to Bilbo about that [censored] Otho, and then when Bilbo was just TELLING HIM OFF, IT WAS AMAZING! Oh my cow, so mnay feeeeeelings...lakjsdlksam
Rarely Written chapter 1 . 1/16/2013
This was beautiful. I can't wait for the next one. I loved how Frodo saw Thorin, and the way you described it. How even though he spoke, you never wrote the exact words. Made him feel otherworldly. Also, loved how Bilbo put put the Sackville-Bagginses in their place. Wonderful!
Niahara Erskine chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
What can I say? I love this story as much as I loved Kindred Horizons - although you made me so damned sad in the first part of the story. I loved the Bilbo - Frodo interaction, it was so sweet and heartfelt. I also loved how you portrayed Otho and Lobelia and how Bilbo put them in their place. I can imagine post-adventure Bilbo doing something like that. And the ending was just perfect. Looking forward to the sequel !
Suthern-bell85 chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
Sorry for the late review! I'll do my best to post a coherent review together after reading this over and over again, lol.

I adored the introduction scene where Bilbo is standing in his empty and quiet house and longing to be swept off into another adventure. Even before the movie came out I always had the impression that Bilbo was a somewhat lonely hobbit, even if he never said as much in the book. And this scene just reinforced that idea. You can almost *feel* Bilbo's loneliness and how much he misses his friends, Thorin especially. Which is why I'm glad that Frodo is now in the picture, even if he's not yet been officially adopted by Bilbo.

One of my favorite parts of this story was Bilbo's outburst to Gandalf, and the latter's subsequent answer. It makes sense that poor Bilbo would still be harboring a lot of needless guilt over Thorin's death-it's clear here that Bilbo still hasn't gotten full closure on those events and I'm glad that both Balin and Gandalf try to convince the stubborn hobbit otherwise. You know, I don't think even Gandalf could have anticipated how close Bilbo would grow to all of the dwarves, Thorin especially, nor how important of a role Bilbo would play in the events towards the end of the book.

The scene with Bilbo and Frodo sharing their grief over lost loved-ones was so beautiful and sad. But despite that, I also got a sense of a very deep bond between are two hobbits. It's so good that they have each other, because I think Bilbo is the only member of Frodo's extended family who truly understands what Frodo must be going through. Now if only he would listen to his nephew's advice and take it to heart! Which leads me to Thorin's appearance. That surprised me, but in a good way. It adds a slight hint of the supernatural to the story, which I always love. And somehow it doesn't surprise me that Thorin's spirit would try comfort Bilbo in his grief. Something tells me we haven't see the last of Thorin, yes? ;)

The entire confrontation scene between Otho and Bilbo was so well-written. I think sometimes it's easy to always portray hobbits as sweet, innocent and almost child-like creatures. It's wonderfully refreshing to see a story that acknowledges that hobbits can experience darker emotions like greed and jealously just like all of the other races of Middle Earth. And can I say how awesome Bilbo was in his handling of both Otho and Lobelia? He was perfectly in character and I just loved seeing Bilbo's protective streak come out. And his last response to Lobelia? Sheer brilliance! XD

I know I've already said this in my review of "Kindred Horizons", but you truly have done Tolkien proud. Everything in this story, from the tone and setting, the characterizations, and relationships between the characters holds true to both the novels and the film. That's a hard thing to do and once again you've made me smile, laugh, and get a bit teary-eyed with your writing. FANTASTIC work again, my dear. You are to be congratulated.

P.S. You are very welcome, as always.

P.S.S. I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel to this. XD
Guest chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
Oh my god... this... this is one of the best things I've ever read on here. Bilbo is perfectly in character, and I love Frodo and Bilbo's relationship. It's fantastic. Please continue with this concept- it's fabulous. Keep it up!
chestry007 chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
This was beautiful. Every time I reread the book I always wonder what Bilbo's thoughts on the whole affair were, the book didn't say much. I always found the ending so dreadfully painful, with their falling out and Fili, Kili & Thorin's deaths. After seeing the movie (4 tikes) AI am quite convinced I will be de estates by the scenes in the last movie. :-/

You are my favorite writer in this fandom.