Reviews for The Only One
READandWRITE11 chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
This is amazing. just... i can't believe the state of awe this put me in... i love it...
scorchedtrees chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
You've captured Azula and her relationship with Zuko perfectly, and your writing is gorgeous and flawless. Great job.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
This is one of the best Azula fanfics I've ever seen. Very true facts there. Her life has been pretty much of a tragedy. Azula and Zuko, in fact, are inverses of each other. Very well done.
blinkenlights n spitzensparks chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
Wonderfully done! You've captured so many nuances and complex aspects of Azula's character here. I love how you described the recurring theme of dismissal - especially from Ursa and Iroh - which reinforces her beliefs that nobody is able to understand her the way Ozai does (although his understanding and approval falls short of what she yearns for on an emotional level).

I also loved how you touched on her insecurities being at least partially tied to her gender and an environment where the most powerful figures in the Fire Nation ruling class and military, are almost all male (at least from what we can tell from the narrative). One of my favorite aspects of the show centers around the rather large cast of exemplary female characters, who all, in one way or another, break out of the traditional roles expected of them within their respective cultures and societies. Azula's perspective as described in this fic fits in quite nicely with that larger theme.

My favorite line- "She is whole now, but only because her brother no longer is." It quite nicely captures the tragic and twisted aspects of Azula's character and her relationship with Zuko. Great job on this!
Boogum chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
Oh, this was fantastic! Such beautiful writing, and such amazing insight into Azula (or, at least, the way I see her). I like that you did this in a sort of vignette style, with each section exploring a different part of their lives. It worked really well, all building towards her breakdown.

I had to laugh at your author note. I think Azula just has a brother complex, as I noticed the same slightly incestuous hint when I first started writing her. But it's not incestuous; just obssessive and a little twisted. And you definitely captured that here. Great job!
Aurelia le chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
This was very touching, and a searingly accurate portrayal of the almost co-dependent relationship between the royal siblings. I really loved and agree with your explanation of Azula's motives for such things as preferring her father over other members of her family, who neglected (rejected) her, and why she made her offer to Zuko in Ba Sing Se.

It seems implied in The Promise that he did not visit her in the asylum until he asked for her help in finding their mother, but you make it clear (for example, by the fact that she is held in the capital city prison) that the story is not "canon" with regard to the comics. Though if he did visit her, it would probably be much as you depicted. I liked that this ended the story on a hopeful note for their reconciliation, and her possible recovery.

You condense a great many events and interactions into a small but effective package, and I'm glad you chose to share this. Favorited.
Fast chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
This was quite well done. I always enjoy Azula and Zuko fics where they actually like each other (even if it is deep down)