Reviews for A Curious Case Of Spattergroit
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 3/3/2014
I always marvel at people's abilities to flesh out characters like this. And let me tell you, this was just beautiful.

My favorite part of this is how he transformed his entire life and left an amazing legacy just because he decided that he /was/ a Healer and he should be helping people, not pushing them away. Imagine if he didn't decide this. St. Mungo's would be a hell of a lot different.

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that he was a hypochondriac at first, but, when he got too busy to deal with every ache and cough, he felt better. It was a really clever way to do that. And it was a great way on how there were five Head-Healers that were trained in their own diseases. It's very much like Hospitals now.

But this was just very excellent. You brought a really minor character to life, and flesh him out so believably. Just a gorgeous job, really.
TrueBeliever831 chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
This was wonderful. I've never seen anyone write a story like this but I quite enjoyed it... I find it rather ironic... that he would be such an amazing healer and be so afraid of anyone who was sick... but I suppose when you know so much about illness you can have a genuine fear of it.. I loved the end... and I didn't notice any spelling or grammar mistakes, nicely done.
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
I love this! You've done an amazing job of adding dimension to an unknown character, and to top it off, you gave him quirks and characteristics to make him amusing and enjoyable. I really love the idea that Mungo was a hypochondriac, it seems so fitting! I am curious, however, about what the man with Spattergroit had and if Mungo ever found out what it was :)
HedwigBlack chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
I love minor characters so I really enjoyed reading this. I like the way you described Mungo as being a hypochondriac and the different things he encountered. The idea of him seeing so many sick people and wanting to help was lovely and it gave us a good idea as to why St. Mungo's is named that way. Nice job taking such an unknown character and giving them a story :D
Lil'MissChris chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
This was all around interesting and a great way to introduce an unknown character. I loved watching his progression from a very frightened man to someone who can provide such help for others. I love the occasional comedic aspect that you introduced every here and there and it was a nice balance without seeming too serious or too funny.
AnneNevilleReviews chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
From the moment I read the description for this story, I was excited to read it. If you were to skim through the stories I've written, you'll see that I have a love for the more obscure characters, including at least one who is not even on the drop-down list for Harry Potter. Reading about Mungo—who I didn't even realize was a canon character!-is GREAT, and you have portrayed him with detail and sensitivity. I can feel his hypochondria, his skill driven out of fear, and his tendency to flee from things (ie, abandoning his his hometown as soon as he has enough money to go). You write so well that it is difficult to find anything to give concrit on, but here are two thoughts:

Considering the times, I'd question an hypochondriac moving to a city, where disease is more rampant than the countryside. Unless Magical London is different. ;-). However, perhaps the cures for magical maladies are more available in London—just like the germs! Probably I'm the only person on earth who'd think of this . . . but it might be possible to explain his choice in a way that skirts the fact that London is a was for disease during this era.

As for the more cosmetic—this story is so clean and error free that I only noticed a few things that I thought might be misplaced. This is the thing that stuck out at me most:

[He glanced out of his window and noticed a man perish and another man standing by, shouting: "Somebody do something!"] I am wondering whether you accidentally put the word “perish” here, when you meant “collapse” or “faint.” I only ask, since you end this section with a sentence that implies that the victim is still alive, but going to die, instead of already dead.

I love the way that you have Mungo being “plagued by a new disease,” and that disease is guilt over not meeting his responsibilities as a healer. It is interesting that this single case of maybe-not-Spattergroit had such an effect on him. The details you give about how he walks around his quarter, considering how he could really help people—yet still terribly afraid of getting whatever disease is making everyone so pale.

I can see exactly how Mungo inspects his apothecary and decides what needs to be done, and I think it is fantastic that you put limitations on his powers—that he is only really good at non-healing spells and needs help to adjust the building to meet his needs. Any time a character is not Super!Whomever, it's great—I like to see their weaknesses. It's also great to see how Mungo's own illnesses clear up as he turns his attention outwards.

Your postscript is a lovely way to end this story. I know that Mungo Bonham is dead by the end of your story, but you actually leave me wanting to know more about him—wishing there were other Mungo stories. Well done!
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
This was so good! I've read heaps of stories about really minor characters who have big things named after them and I adore them all. I loved the description, detail and the background of how Mungo came to be a healer through his own illnesses and I loved how him being a healer helped him. It was great to see a perspective of how St Mungo's came about. This was amazing. Great job!
WeasleySeeker chapter 1 . 2/16/2013
Interesting idea, and I love the irony of Mungo being a hypochondriac and then founding a hospital. I've never seen anything about Mungo before, and I think you gave him a really great backstory. It was pretty funny, too, which definitely added to the fic.

All of the summarising in the second section was a little overwhelming, and I think it would perhaps have been more effective if you'd shown us some of that instead of telling us. Like maybe a scene with Mungo sending a letter trying to recruit more Healers, or something?

I did enjoy this, though. You fleshed Mungo out really nicely, and I especially liked the bit where he was reflecting over whether it was his "duty" to find out what was wrong with the man. Good job :)
Fire The Canon chapter 1 . 2/13/2013
I do enjoy an unknown character :) This was very interesting to read. You wrote it really well and... geez, Mungo sounds like me. I hear of a disease and I start finding symptoms :P

I loved this! Great job!
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 2/11/2013
This was interesting, the creation of Saint Mungo's Hospital.i've never read anything like this before, about the hospital or the man himself but I found it really enjoyable and interesting to see your take on it. Awesome job!
articcat621 chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
This was brilliant! I had never ever given any thought to how St. Mungo's was founded, but after reading your fic, it makes perfect sense! The whole thing was just so well written! The little blurb at the end was so adorable! I really enjoyed it! :)
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
This was really cool! Minor characters are my favorites, to be honest, and I love what you did with Mungo Bonham. I didn't actually hear his story, and I've never really heard too much about him, but I loved this anyway. Your characterization of Mungo was really interesting - a hypochondriac Healer is a really intriguing, clever idea that I love. I really like your version of how St. Mungo's was actually formed, it's something I've never thought of. It was well-written, too - there weren't really any major mistakes, and the only thing I remember noticing was 'what was know about Healing' - it should be 'what was known about Healing'. I like that you included that little last section that explained how it came to be named St. Mungo's, as well, as opposed to just Mungo's. Great job!
Lillia-Lillia chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
What a great story! I liked all of the magical illnesses and symptoms you described, and the writing style seemed like it came from JKR herself. I like the fact that Mungo was a hypochondriac turned "saint". The transition where he felt guilt was really touching and well-written. It's too bad that one fellow died, but Mungo was able to rearrange his priorities and help countless more people. Wonderful!
Montley chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
I had never read a story about Mungo before this and you did such a great job and I really loved the title of the story as well, you got it from Benjamin Button right?
It was quite ironic how he got sick himself so much as well since he is the head healer of centuries. I really loved this. It was written very well, I don't have any significant mistakes to point out.
It was unique and flowed very nicely.
I also loved how you developed Mungo as a character, especially since he really has not been explored before.
lowi chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
This was such an interesting story to read! I definitely think you've done a great work on the plot itself, and giving your view on Mungos and how the hospital was founded; really magnificent work!

Another thing I need to point out is the tone you've set for this fic—somehow it fits the era perfectly, and I don't know really, but all felt so believable.

Fantastic work, Ralinde, this was a pleasure to read!